I was curious about this newish property because I thought I was familiar with the Palos Verdes peninsula and wondered if that location could sustain a true resort property. I knew it would have killer views of the ocean but thought it would be too cool, windy and foggy most of the year to work. I was wrong.
This is a classy, comfortable resort with outstanding customer service. Not far from downtown Los Angeles but feels quite removed from the day to day rat race. I can recommend as a special retreat for locals. For those coming from out of town, it is fine if you are o.k. with staying put most of the time. But Terranea is not the best as a launching pad for a lot of different activities in Southern California as it is a minimum 20 minute drive just to get to the freeway.
I took advantage of special rates for the winter and prepaid for a short stay just before Christmas. As the date drew near, I grew concerned about the weather, as it has been uncharacteristically rainy. But we lucked out: it was a little cloudy when we checked in, rained early the next morning but cleared up to be gorgeous the following day. Most surprisingly, there was no wind to speak of and the temperature seemed to be about 4-5 degrees warmer than the other side of the hill in Torrance and the rest of the South Bay. After we checked out and drove away, the clouds seemed to blanket the skies. It seemed as if there is a micro-climate at the coast where the resort is in a protective bubble. (Or, I suppose it is possible that we just had charmed timing!)
The resort impresses from the outset. First, driving there, you see terrific views of the ocean over beautiful homes. Upon checking in, you are offered a complimentary glass of champagne or bottled water. Classy touch! The valets, check in personnel, housekeeping and waiters all were very courteous and helpful. Truly outstanding service that makes you feel special.
We had reserved an ocean view room and were not disappointed. The room was generously sized, with a balcony that had room for a small table and chairs. It overlooked the ocean and pool, with a view of the cliffs and Catalina Island across the ocean. Wonderful! The bathroom was large and luxurious, with separate tub, shower and toilet in a separated cubby. Also included were a work table/chairs, easy chair + ottoman, flat screen TV, mini-fridge (unencumbered with high-priced drinks), safe, and Keurig coffeemaker. The only criticism I had with the room was that the mattress was too soft for my liking.
The grounds of the resort were immaculate, with lots of pathways to walk to catch the views. There are several pools, including one with a large slide for the kids, an adult pool, a pool for spa guests and pools for bungalow guests. Even though the weather was in the high 60s to mid-70s, there were adults and kids in the main pool; I'm assuming it was heated. The fitness center looked quite large. There are also a number of restaurants on site, all with great views. There is no beach to speak of, although there are a couple of places to check out the tidepools. There is also an adjoining 9-hole golf course.
It appears that the resort is making extra efforts to encourage loyalty and return visits. There were many holiday activities offered, including fireside entertainment at night. There is a complete children's program available as well.
I'm sure that during the summer, this resort is much more crowded and it is possible that restaurants and pool chairs become a challenge. And, the room rates undoubtedly are high. But my experience this winter suggests that the other cooler seasons may present ideal opportunities to visit this excellent resort at value pricing.
- Also Known As:
- Terranea Hotel
- Terranea Hotel Rancho Palos Verdes
- Terranea Resort Rancho Palos Verdes
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Terranea Resort blends beautifully into an oceanfront promontory on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Located just 20 miles from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), the 582-room resort includes guestrooms, suites, bungalows, casitas and villas and a host of world-class amenities with 135,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor meeting and event space. This Earth-friendly, picturesque Mediterranean-style resort offers guests spectacular dining venues, a world-class spa, three oceanfront pools, and a family-friendly nine-hole golf course with short-game practice facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Sabre Hospitality Solutions , Venere, Olotels, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Amex, Otel, Priceline, getaroom.com, Agoda and HotelsClick so you can book your Terranea Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.