My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights 11-14 Aug, and another three on 27-30 Aug.
Being Australian, and having done LA before, we really just wanted a spot where we could relax, at the start, and end of our holiday.
Terranea fitted the bill perfectly. Yes, you need a car to get there, but driving from the Hertz depot at the airport was really easy. It helps having a GPS :)
Rancho Palos Verdes (what a cute little town) and Terranea Resort is probably a much grander version or Lorne or Torquay... so a lot of Americans head down here to stay in the warm weather.
The first three nights we spent in an Oceanview room in the main building. Wonderful views, amazingly comfortable bed, gorgeous bathroom.. no complaints.
The last three nights we spent in a Spa Bungalow, 41-402, which had slightly obstructed views, but still gorgeous.
Nelson's was our favourite spot to eat, affordable, and really good food, with a view to boot. If you can get down there for the sunset, it's worth it. it can get a bit chilly at night, but they have fire pits and gas heating to keep you warm.
We ate breakfast only once at Catalina Kitchen, and i really wish we had of eaten there more, as it was delicious. You can order from the menu, or help yourself at the buffett.
We also ate at Bashi, which is Asian cuisine. Yum.
The pools are great, the main pool is big, with a waterslide for the kids (and there were a LOT of kids) and a couple of spas. (i probably wouldn't want a room overlooking the pool as i would think there'd be a bit of noise)...they have great service, Shelby runs around and brings you drinks, food.. you don't have to get up! there is an adults only pool too which is great, but when it's busy, there's no room to move.
We didn't get a chance to try it out at the start of of the month, but towards the end of the month, the resort was noticeably quieter, and we had the adults only pool ALL to ourselves. the menu is different down there, a bit more flash. if you're after burgers and hot dogs, then stick to the main pool.
The Spa was just gorgeous, but EXPENSIVE! FYI ladies, i had a pedicure, and an hr long massage which cost me $350. i nearly fell over. it was $15 alone, just for polish. Because of my treatments, i had full access to their pool. (only spa clients can use it, however they do offer day passes for $40..... that's a lot of $$ to use a pool!) I initially thought being a guest in a Spa Bungalow meant i could use this pool, wrong. And i wasn't prepared to pay the $40. as nice as it was!
The car parking is fine - self parking is $20 a day, Valet is $30. However if there's a wedding on, which there is bound to be every weekend, the car park becomes full very quickly.
My partner played golf twice, the first time he played, earlier in the month it cost him about $100, to play 9 holes, and to hire equip. the 2nd time he played, later in the month, again, 9 holes + equip, it was $60.
Trump National is just up the road, but i think it's very expensive to play there.
The Front desk was lovely, Rachel in particular, she was gorgeous.
There are bikes you can hire i think, as well as kayaks..and if you can get out to Catalina, i would.
Just up the Rd is Golden Cove which is a shopping centre. Has a Trader Joes, Starbucks, pharmacy, 7 eleven, which came in handy.
The rooms we stayed in had a fridge (no mini bar) and tea/coffee but nothing else,. no cutlery etc so you're forced to eat within the resort pretty much, which isn't a bad thing! but it can get pretty pricey.
Great spot for couples, families, business (i noticed a few conferences) and weddings!! Apparently there is 1-3 weddings held every weekend.
I found staying there during the week, towards the end of Aug, was a lot better than over a weekend, at the start of the month. i really noticed the difference.
I'd be interested to know what it's like in September.
All in all, i'll definately stay here again, as it was just beautiful, and the perfect place to escape LA if you've been there, done that.
- Also Known As:
- Terranea Hotel
- Terranea Hotel Rancho Palos Verdes
- Terranea Resort Rancho Palos Verdes
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Terranea Resort blends beautifully into an oceanfront promontory on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Located just 20 miles from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), the 582-room resort includes guestrooms, suites, bungalows, casitas and villas and a host of world-class amenities with 135,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor meeting and event space. This Earth-friendly, picturesque Mediterranean-style resort offers guests spectacular dining venues, a world-class spa, three oceanfront pools, and a family-friendly nine-hole golf course with short-game practice facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Sabre Hospitality Solutions , Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Amex, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Priceline, Otel, EasyToBook, Agoda, getaroom.com, Venere, Fareportal and Jetsetter so you can book your Terranea Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.