“A Jewel Nestled On A Peninsula” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Terranea Resort

You added Terranea Resort to your Saves list
Terranea Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   100 Terranea Way, driving directions, 6610 Palos Verdes Drive South, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275   |
Offers & Announcements
Third Night FREE!
Venice
“A Jewel Nestled On A Peninsula”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I have stayed at the best hotels all over the world and Terranea Resort has now been added to my top list of Hotels to stay in!

An exquisite jewel nestled on a peninsula overlooking the beautiful expanse of the Pacific Ocean in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, Terranea, offers every luxurious comfort one could ever desire. Boasting breathtaking views from every corner of this 102 acre property, Terranea will mesmerize your senses! Terranea offers a variety of cuisines to satiate the most discerning of tastes; a commendable staff that accomodates your every whim; endless activities to keep the entire family entertained...Terranea is a self contained paradise! A must visit NOW!

Room Tip: Every room on the property offers luxury and comfort!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Turkish first
Oklahoma City, OK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Let me start by saying we had a fantastic time at Terranea Resort. The view is incredible, the resort pool was a blast for our kids. We had ocean side suite #1147 and it was very nice. My husband was there for a conference and we upgraded our room for a low upgrade fee. We ate at Bashi three times (good food), Catalina Kitchen 3 times (pretty good), Nelsons once (pretty good) and Sea Beans (very good). I shopped at Traders Joes down the street and we ate at Lunada Bay Seafood Restaurant (see my review) after we tired of eating resort food. We had massages and facials, which were fantastic, the spa is gorgeous. The fitness room is also very nice, I took a spa class facing the ocean and saw dolphins 3 times. Paul at the front desk does a great job welcoming people and Tristan (spa manager) is fantastic. However, all in all (compared to the Ritz and Four Seasons), the staff is not as good as the staff at the Ritz and FS. Terranea could improve its ability to anticipate guest's needs rather than wait for people to ask for things. That is what makes a resort top notch in my book. At the pool, there are about 4 total servers for the entire area including the cabanas. It works out though because tons of people bring in their own food and jugs of alcohol since drinks are $13-15 bucks for a tiny cocktail. We hired a sitter through University Sitters and the sitter was great. There were weddings and conferences going non stop the whole time so if you visit, expect a lot of traffic.

Bottom line. Great trip, enjoyed it so much. However, I would never pay over the conference rate for a room here. I saw our room runs $900/night. With that price, plus massages running $200 for 60 minutes, food and drinks priced so high, etc... I would opt for the Ritz in Cancun (real beach, low prices, fabulous spa, incredible service).

Oviedo, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I wanted to take this time to tell you how absolutely thrilled my family and I were with our recent stay at Terranea. The entire staff was phenomenal. Marissa E. took extraordinary care in making sure that the accommodations were to our liking and helped me plan multiple events in preparation for my 9th wedding anniversary—all of which went off without a hitch. In fact, I had arranged rose petal turn down service for my wife and when she arrived an hour earlier than expected, the concierge staff was able to make sure that it was taken care of within 15 minutes!!! No easy task given the lack of notice. I was very impressed by that. The valet service was impeccable and I rarely had to wait more than 2 minutes for my vehicle and Brian always welcomed us by name and made sure that we knew exactly where we were going. The service in the Catalina Kitchen was flawless, and the food was outstanding. Despite the fact that the dining room was always full, we were always made to feel as though we were VIP guests and almost didn’t notice that there were other guests around us due to the attentiveness of the staff. The concierge team, regardless of who was present were always extremely helpful and the housekeeping and room service always exceeded our expectations with regards to special requests.
My wife and I have stayed at a variety of luxury chains and so-called 5 star resorts and this resort is clearly superior to them all. I would certainly rate this hotel as THE premier 5 star hotel in LA based on our experiences, and possibly even the country. I certainly hope to stay again in the very near future. If I could give your hotel six stars on a five star scale I certainly would!
Thank you all so much for making our stay at Terranea one of the greatest vacations we have ever had!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side give you breathtaking water views. Similarly, if you are able, a day laying...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Recently stayed in an ocean view casita. Accommodations are incredible. Service, Meh. When spending this kind of money, I expect top notch service. Not so. We nearly got run down by the valet parking staff while walking. In the morning, we went to go eat breakfast. We came back and they were stripping our room, so we ended up leaving a bit early. When I spoke to the manager at check-out, he seemed very disinterested. Not the way to get repeat business.

, Manager at Terranea Resort, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Hi Treeniek,
We are concerned to read this review. Can you please email additional details of your stay to terraneasocial@destinationhotels.com so that we may properly follow up with this review and address the service issues you encountered? We would like to apologize and we hope to hear from you soon.
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

A truly beautiful and large resort built on a peninsula overlooking cliffs and the Pacific Ocean. Guests are greeted warmly at the front and check in is smooth and efficient. The gardens and landscaping are spectacular and the resort provides walking trails within the resort as well as along the cliffs to take advantage of the vegetation and the views. There is plenty to do as there is a 9 hole golf course, many swimming pools, a gym, shops, and a top notch spa.
There are restaurants to suit various needs and price points. I tried them all. Mar'sel is high end and I found the food and service to be superior. Catalina Kitchen I tried for breakfast only and was disappointed in the Huevos Rancheros which was mediocre. Bashi is an Asian Fusion tapas type restaurant with excellent food. The wait staff and manager couldnt have been more accomodative in assisting with a business meeting setup. Sea Beans is a deli/takeout/bakery with moderate prices. Once again the staff couldnt have been more helpful and pleasant and the food was above average. The pastries and the prepared salads were the best!
The rooms are immaculate and the maid service was way above average - truly superior. Beds are very comfortable and the air conditioning was fairly quiet.
Now here is where I had a problem. I asked way in advance for a quiet room. Several weeks prior to arrival I again confirmed the request for a quiet room. Upon checking in I asked once again to be sure I was getting a quiet room. GUESS WHAT?? My room was on the second floor right over a busy walkway and the outdoor wedding chapel. On the weekend the bands play, the noise of which cannot be blotted out by closing your door and putting on the air conditioning. The wonderful balcony is not private as all the balconies are very closely situated so using it for peace and privacy is not possible. I was there on Father's Day weekend so perhaps some of the excessive noise was due to the popularity of that time frame. But the resort attracts families with small children and dogs and the children were allowed to scream and run down the walk and the halls.
I think a visit during the week and not in the summer would be the best time to visit. Terranea is a beautiful place with great services and a wonderful and friendly staff but it is not suitable if one is looking for a peaceful retreat.

Room Tip: Oceanside rooms are located just across from the cliffs and ocean but can be noisy. I would suggest...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Terranea Resort, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Hi takeeta,
Thank you so much for your review! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay, meals, and maid service. In regards to your room noise, we would like to apologize. Summer holiday weekends are certainly very busy here at the resort, but it is very important to us that we exceed all of our guest needs and we are sorry that your quiet room request was not met. We will be passing on all of your notes to our reservations manager and front desk staff and will be discussing the issue in depth. We hope you will come back to visit us. If you do plan a return vacation, please email us at terraneasocial@destinationhotels.com so that we may ensure an absolutely relaxing stay. Thank you again for taking the time to review our property.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Wow-
Went for a wedding this is a high end resort and they deliver. I am only going to say this, we were never told "no".
Every issue had a solution and always with charm and class. Will be back.

Los Angeles, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

This is our third time staying at the Terranea and, sad to say, probably our last. Every time we have checked in, we have had to go back and ask for a different room. One time our "ocean view" was over a restaurant's dirty metal roof, across the pool and to the ocean. We headed down to relax by their "adult pool," which has beautiful ocean views but it was like the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas with a D.K. playing loud techno music so we headed up to the quiet Spa pool where we were told you need to have a spa appointment to use this pool. When we were back in our room, we were treated to the cocktail hour for a wedding that had just happened right below our balcony and it was beautiful Hawaiian dancing. When the music started, we could have been dancing to it in our room it was so loud. Luckily it wrapped up at 11:00 (This was a Sunday night). At 1:30 we were awakened by loud banging and lots of loud talking by the men dismantling the wedding chairs and tables. The lady at the front desk upon checkout pretty much left it at "sorry."
This is a beautiful hotel with beautiful grounds that we will continue to use, but we will not stay here again.

Room Tip: It is a process since the people at the front desk seem to not know the rooms very well. Be ready to...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Terranea Resort, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Hi MKS353,

We are very sorry to hear that you have had difficulty sleeping during your trips to Terranea. We sincerely apologize for this and we would like you to know that we will be discussing the issues you have experienced with our entire management team. We hope you will give us another opportunity to provide a restful vacation for you. If you should decide to stay with us again, please contact us via email at terraneasocial@destinationhotels.com so that we can discuss your stay and ensure a sleep filled vacation. We hope to hear from you soon.

Been to Terranea Resort? Share your experiences!