My husband and I live in West Hollywood, California and typically go down to the Surf and Sand or The Montage in Laguna Beach or up to Bacara in Santa Barbara when we want to get away for a long weekend in a seaside resort in Southern California. Looking to avoid a long drive during rush hour on Friday afternoon, we decided to try Terranea. We were pleasantly surprised with the convenience and thoroughly impressed with the resort. It took us less than an hour to get there at 2p on Friday, and even less to return home on Sunday afternoon. Yet despite the close proximity, the resort is a world away from Los Angeles.
The resort itself is handsome and well-built, and the guest rooms are large, light and airy. The property is spacious and despite its large number of guest rooms, it never feels crowded. Each of the three pools (main, adult and spa) provide a different experience, and are very well designed for their intended guest. The restaurants offer a respectable range of food offerings. I highly recommend Mar'sel, the property's signature restaurant, as well as the more casual Nelson's (located cliff-side) and The Grill (located poolside). I would recommend skipping Catalina's, another poolside restaurant. This restaurant is clearly designed for buffets, and our dinner, which surprisingly cost the same as Mar'sel, was not worth the money. I would also encourage management to make more of the Mar'sel wine list available to the property's other restaurants, whose lists could use more thought and selection.
We very much enjoyed our short time at this beautiful resort and we look forward to returning soon and often. It is worth mentioning, though, that it would be reason enough to go to Terranea to thank the developers for returning this land to its exquisite natural beauty. The resort is built on the site of the concrete monstrosity that was Marineland, a tourist attraction which closed in the early 1980s and remained a blight on one of the most beautiful California coastlines until Terranea opened a few years ago.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Terranea Resort blends beautifully into an oceanfront promontory on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Located just 20 miles from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), the 582-room resort includes guestrooms, suites, bungalows, casitas and villas and a host of world-class amenities with 135,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor meeting and event space. This Earth-friendly, picturesque Mediterranean-style resort offers guests spectacular dining venues, a world-class spa, three oceanfront pools, and a family-friendly nine-hole golf course with short-game practice facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Cheap Tickets, BookIt.com, getaroom.com, Orbitz, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Jetsetter so you can book your Terranea Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Terranea Hotel Rancho Palos Verdes
- Terranea Resort Rancho Palos Verdes