“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Orange, California
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

As many others have said, (and I should have checked beforehand), its not up to the name of being a "Westin". Which is the main reason why I did not check the reviews beforehand, its a Westin, its got to be great. With that being said, the rooms were okay, the pools were nice, the slide was fun, but it was just something that was more of an "okay" hotel.

The one thing that they should fix is the parking. I understand there is a golf course and golfers come during the day, and maybe that affects it somewhat. I was staying in building 7 and we ended up having to park in building 5, its not miles and miles, but i would say its at least a half mile away.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and will not return. Not a bad time, just not what I have seen associated with the Westin or Starwoods.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
MMacleod1, Director of Sales at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 8, 2011
Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate your feedback and are disappointed to hear that your stay with us was not what you expected. If I may do anything to make this up to you, please contact me directly at wmhr@westin.com

Be well and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
  • Korean first
Lake Oswego, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

The Westin Mission Hills in Rancho Mirage is well situated, conveniently close to the airport, downtown Palm Springs as well as outlying restaurants and things to do. The grounds are nicely kept, the pool is fabulous, rooms are large and quite comfortable. But, there seems to be something missing overall for me to rate this hotel simply "average".

I anticipated more of a resort "attitude" from the staff, and what I experienced were staff who were nice enough, but our interactions lacked the "wow" factor that one would expect. The rooms were nice, but there were maintenance issues that were small but noticeable. The hallways were generally kept clean and presentable, but a room service tray sat outside one room for nearly our entire stay. There were little things that brought down the status and experience at this property.

We ate in the lounge one evening, and had a nice meal with good service from the server. We also enjoyed the patio one afternoon with friends and family for adult beverages, and found it to be quite comfortable and enjoyable.

Wi-fi seems to have an issue at this hotel, and numerous attempts to use it with with iPad came to disappointment. Use your data service and spare yourself the frustration.

From a location and value perspective, I would recommend this hotel. But, if one is a picky traveler who expects top of the line service, impeccable grounds, perfect rooms....I might advice one to keep shopping. For me, if the price was right I would return but my expectations would not be so high the next time.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
We appreciate you sharing your recent review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your room as well as meal in our lobby lounge. We are disappointed to hear that the service you experience was not exceptional. We work very hard to ensure that all of our associates provide personalized service to each guest. Should you choose to visit us again, I invited you to contact me directly at wmhr@ westin.com so that I may assist you.

We hope to welcome you again soon.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

Overall this place is pretty good. I came here on a family vacation but we are all adults.... And this place is very much a family destination as noted by the kids at the pool area. We stayed in the villas which were OK, i have stayed in other villas with more charm.... I found it a bit odd that the fold out bed in the villa was not actually made upon our arrival. for a resort, i find this unacceptable,,, The TVs are not updated to flat screens and i expect that these days when i travel..... The two prong shower was nice though....relaxing.... where we were you will hear the sounds of quacking outside :)

overnight parking rates were steep $15/night per vehicle. ugh.

The first night we honestly had some really terrible service in the restaurant there with the waiter not remembering our orders and food taking long to come out from the kitchen. we normally are not a family to pest staff, we had to do it three times on this occasion which should not happen.... however, the buffets for breakfast in same restaurant were fine and fresh.

the workout facility is to me above average for hotel...they have similar life fitness equipment to my gym at home...and its pretty spacious.

for a few night stay i would have no issue staying here again but would look for a special rate to lure me in........would like to explore more of what this place offers

• Stayed March 2011
Thank you for sharing your recent review of our sister property, The Westin Mission Hills Villas. We are pleased you enjoyed your time there and hope to welcome you again soon.

Be well.
Furry Creek
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

From the moment we arrived up the beautiful palm tree lined drive to the lobby until our check out two weeks later, we kept thinking how wonderful it is here; like paradise. Everyone on staff was friendly and helpful and several went out of their way to help, if asked to. The two golf courses are fabulous and the greens are fast and in A1 condition.
We are looking forward to returning to the Westin Mission Hills in the very near future, Thank you for another memorable stay!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your recent review. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and hope to welcome you again soon.

Be well.
Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

We had a wonderful time and we loved the location and views. We also enjoyed the Spa treatments very much! The only negative we would mention is that we were in an upper room and the people below were smoking on their patio the whole time, talking very loudly until very late, and then started up again at 6am the next morning. The smoke wafted up into our room so we were unable to keep our balcony door open to enjoy the fresh air. Other than that we enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your recent review. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and spa treatment. We are sorry for the disturbance you experienced below your room - next time you visit, I encourage you to contact us about such issue so that we may find a way to better your experience.

We look forward to welcoming you soon.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

Surprised my fiancee with the post-Valentine's Day trip. She had no idea where we were going or what I had planned. When we pulled up on Dinah Shore and turned into the driveway, she questioned with excitement, "THE WESTIN BABE!?" From there, everything else went perfect. The Spa credit allowed her to experience her first-ever Coconut Bath; and the ride back to our room on the go kart was quite chilly, yet appreciated. The staff was extra friendly and helpful. We had plans that evening offsite and slept in the following morning. That was my only regret as I wanted to see more of the facility. I have no doubt in my mind that we will return and I will personally write General Manager Kim Pilgrim to thank him for a wonderful stay.

One more thing, my parents surprised us by having the concierge deliver a handwritten card from them and several chocolate covered strawberries. A wonderful surprise awaiting in my room as we came back from the spa...perfect!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
WestinMissionHills, Director of Sales at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 15, 2011
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful story with us. Nothing makes us happier than hearing that we were able to help create these kinds of special memories for our guests. If there is anything I may do to make your next stay even better, please contact me directly at katelyn.thurlow@westin.com. I would be more than happy to personally assist you.

We hope to welcome you again soon.

Be well & safe travels,

Katelyn Thurlow
Marketing Coordinator
Westin Mission Hills Resort & Spa
Viking, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

Beautiful resort. Almost every food order both room service and the hotel restaurant was fabulous. CLean rooms. Westin bed... always a pleasure to sleep on.
Cons.. the hotel is so far away that you must rent a car to go anywhere for shopping /eating/ or you are paying a fortune in taxis. It was a business trip, so we had collegues in various rooms. Very spread out. Tremendous amount of walking- great exercise ( service was terrific in that they pick you up in golf carts and will take you to your room with bags- golf bags etc.. but tip money is necessary right). Room service was fabulous( VERY expensive) Pro- was happy hour in the lounge were the drinks were reasonable( 4 dollars for a beer not 8)
Pay for every little extra- but if money is not an issue... AWESOME place. We were treated very well. Very friendly staff.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Thank you so much for sharing your recent review with us. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our culinary offerings as well as comfortable Heavenly beds. Although you were here on business, we hope that you will visit us again soon for a relaxing vacation.

Be well & safe travels,

Katelyn Thurlow
Marketing Coordinator
Westin Mission Hills Resort & Spa

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!