“Slightly disorganized, time share sales” 2 of 5 stars

4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Certificate of Excellence 2014
A TripAdvisor Member
“Slightly disorganized, time share sales”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2004

Unfortunately, many hotels are specifying a 4:00 check-in (and some, a 10:00 check-out!). I arrived at 4:30 to a long line at the front desk only to be told my room wasn't ready and they would call me on my cell phone. Waited an HOUR AND A HALF. Finally went to the front desk and was told my room had been ready, don't know why they didn't call you. Also was moved to off-site property, time shares, and had to carry my luggage two apartment buildings down. (Parking was scarce.) Upon check-in, was told I had "won a prize" worth $100 for use at the facilities and directed to the concierge desk. After a few personal questions, which I found offiesive, I figured out it was a time-share sales pitch. No, I don't have three hours of my vacation to listen to a sales pitch.

This place is billed as a four-plus star, but their disorganized staff and hidden time-share sales pitch are annoying. The room was nice, but definitely not worth the hassle.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
  • Korean first
Thousand Oaks, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2004

My wife and I returned to Western Mission Hills after 16 months into our Explorer package (first time we couldn't decide right away so we signed up for the Explorer package by paying apporx. $1500 and got 18 months to think about it!!). Overall we had a very pleasant experience with the sales people and others unlike last time (last time one of the sales persons was very rude and we lost interest but later on they apologized greatly about it). Also this time we were offered a different package that was practical and affordable for us. As a result we ended up buying their beautiful timeshare vacation home. We felt this time they have made their program more flexible and can fit into almost everyone if you like to go on vacations and travel around the world. By going thru the Explorer package you get a lots of startwood points which can be used over a several years in traveling. Hope this helps…

Orange County CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2004

My husband & I recently stayed at this resort for a weekend per invitation to the Starwood Vacation Ownership promotional deal for $149. We have several comments on our stay, some general and some personal. I am a SPG member with preferred gold status, I didn't find out until receiving my bill at checkout that the hotel didn't have my SPG information, as it was stated on the bottom of the bill that I could have earned a certain amount of points if I was a member. Perhaps, they should ask at check in if you are a Starwood member. I assumed that they had the information on file, as I was invited to this presentation because I was a Starwood member. The resort, in my opinion
is not a 4 star rating. The resort is not laid out well. Walking around at
night, it is dark, very poor landscape lighting and you "must" walk to get
anywhere. If your room is on the second floor, there is only stairway access to it, very inconvenient when you're carrying luggage, and we are not physically challenged, what about guests who are?
We enter our room, #320, the carpet is stained and in need of replacement, a piece of molding is missing from the baseboard, a lamp is missing from the nightstand, the tiles in the bathroom are all loose in front of the shower, they have no grout holding them together, the nightstand drawer falls apart in my hand when I open it to look for a phonebook. The "heavenly" bathroom consists of a curved shower rod. Our view was looking at a tree and the building across from us. The railing on the balcony is rusted. There was only one bathrobe in the closet. I spilled coffee on it and put it with the towels and never received one in return. How about a picture over the bed to make the room a little less cold looking? The two positives, the bed is "heavenly" and the in room coffee is great, and with the option of a mug or a travel cup.

The salesman at the vacation presentation became rude after we said that we weren't interested in purchasing, but was pleasant prior to that time. The woman that did the villa tour and prep work was very pleasant. Then they throw you at one more person on exit for a "survey" and try to sell you another "package" for $1595 to stay at your resort within 18 months........the whole time they keep stressing, "no pressure", it was the most "high pressure" sales pitch that I've ever encountered. The salesman stated that he "felt sorry for us" that we weren't purchasing, talk about sarcasm. IF you are interested in purchasing, it is a great program, but it isn't for everyone and sometimes it's not the right time of your life to purchase. We spent our $100 gift in the Bella Vista restaurant, as I was so distraught and affected after the 2 1/2 hour (supposed to be 90 minutes)
sales pitch. I would have much rather dined at a fine restaurant off
property which was an option. Perhaps, the SVO division should place their invitees in a room with a view of the golf course, pool or mountains, so they start off with a pleasant experience.

• Stayed November 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2004

The Westin Mission Hills is a beautiful resort in a beautiful setting, made all the more interesting by the contrast with the Agua Caliente Indian Reservation land just across Dinah Shore Drive -- an untouched patch of sandy desert.

My wife and I went down on Halloween weekend and stayed 3 nights. The resort was uncrowded, with a few convention goers and some families. This was at the main hotel area (we were in building 6). Over at the Villas, the scene seemed to be more densely populated, but we spent all of our time lounging at the Las Brisas pool just outside the main lobby building.

The overall impression of the resort is very attractive, with lush greenery on the golf courses and a clean and new-ish feel to the main buildings and grounds. The checkin was quick and efficient; the personnel, pleasant. I was anxious that we would have a bad experience similar to some of the folks who have written, but fortunately, the room was clean, modern, and well-appointed, the staff was friendly and efficient. Poolside service was a bit inattentive at times, but still acceptable.

The pool was clean and pleasantly maintained. Contrary to some reports, the water was clear and clean. There's a volleyball net for water volleyball, and off to the side, a separate kiddie pool and water slide with an employee monitoring the slide action for safety. Free towels in ample quantities were provided. The chaise lounge cushions are white canvas-type material and they show the wear and tear of many oiled bodies -- just layer on the generously large, clean towels, and you're good to go. We spent most of our vacation lounging poolside, and it was wonderful.

The drinks in the Lobby Lounge were large and well-made. The Buffalo wings were delicious, with a fine, chunky "real Bleu" cheese dip accompaniment. The poolside snacks were fine too, with generous portions and all things made with taste and to a turn.

Room service was very prompt and efficient. We only ordered breakfast in-room, but it came within 30 minutes, and was nicely laid out for us on the patio table. Other than that, and the poolside snacks, we had no other experience with the dining at the resort. I heartily recommend The Chop House in downtown Palm Springs (great Oysters Rockefeller), and the Kalura Trattoria Italiana just a block away (delicious saltimbocca and HUGE bar drinks in a nice sidewalk cafe setting). We also ate at P.F. Changs at The River shopping mall -- always great gourmet Chinese food. And if you want great pub food, try the Yard House at The River -- it claims to have the largest selection of beers on tap in the world!

Don't bother looking for breakfast out of the hotel/resort. There really doesn't seem to be any in the whole Palm Springs area, except for IHOP, etc... Lunch and dinner opportunities abound, but for breakfast, you're better off staying on the property.

Our only negative experience was with the Timeshare (Vacation Ownership) tour and sales experience. Actually, the tour and the sales folks were just fine. Yes, there's pressure, but they're willing to comp you $100 or MORE (if you seem reluctant and hold out, they up their ante!) just to take the tour, whether you sign up or not. We took the tour, heard the pitch, and decided to plunk down our money right then and there. We charged the Amex card for the full amount of the timeshare!

Later that night, I reconsidered, and while the package seemed like a good enough deal, my wife and I decided it just wasn't right for *us* right now. We exercised our 72-hour recission option, which was accepted without too much pressure to "reconsider," but I had to lean pretty hard on the Sales Operations Manager to insist that our money be refunded promptly.

At first, we were told "twenty days or so, from the Florida office" to have our money returned. I insisted that they do it more promptly, and sure enough, the next day a credit of the proper amount had been made to our Amex card. Unfortunately, the Sales Manager did NOT contact me to let me know the refund had been made -- contrary to what she had promised me. The original sales person whom I dealt with -- and who was glad to take my money the previous day -- played "dumb" and did *nothing* to help me get a prompt refund, hence my need to seek out the Sales Manager.

Nevertheless, in the end, all was made right -- our money was refunded the day after our recission request -- and I would urge those who are interested in a time share program to check this one out.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2004

Great place to stay. Pool and waterslide were the best thing ever for my two girls. I felt like I was in Hawaii! Like most pools in the area, this pool was very crowded and no chairs were availble. The watermelon eating contest for the kids made the trip more fun!

Grand Rapids, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2004

Just got back from a week at the Westin Mission Hills Resort...we stayed in the time share/villas portion of the resort. It was beyond our expectations, the grounds were beautiful our condo was comfortable, updated, clean and a home away from home with the bonus of a huge bathtub with jets and a walk in shower with three shower heads! The bed was the most comfortable bed away from home I have ever slept in. There were 3 pools, I recommend the main pool behind the hotel portion, the time share area pool did have a lot of kids, and there is a bonus kid-free pool that is small but nice and quiet. The grounds were beautiful and "almost" too manicured, they work hard to keep things looking good. The resort was centrally located and there was tons to do within a 15 mile radius. I highly recommend the aerial tram & the living dessert. What a great vacation spot.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2004

I must say, reading some of the negative reviews, I was a little skeptical, but my husband and I very much enjoyed our stay. We came to listen to a presentation on purchasing a villa, we had no intent on buying, but quickly changed our mind when we saw the beautiful location, lovely rooms, friendly staff and pool area for the kids !! Not to mention the food, bon appetit! We are now proud owners of a villa and can't wait to use it. We will definitely refer friends.

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!