“Broken down facilities and agregious overcharging” 1 of 5 stars

4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Francisco, California
“Broken down facilities and agregious overcharging”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

I recently was at the hotel for a stay during the BNP Paribas Open from March 17-20. I have to say that I was severely disappointed with my stay, from the service to the accommodations, to the billing.

The difficulty started when I first got to the hotel. Although it was a little bit later (around 10pm), I would not have expected for there to be no valet in site. After waiting for 5 minutes, we ended up leaving the car and having to go in to reception to have them help us find someone.

Once we checked in, we headed over to our room, which faced the road despite my loyalty to Starwood, and immediately were struck by how stuffy and warm the room was, despite the fact the air conditioning was on 65 degrees. It was clearly broken.

After unsuccessfully calling the front desk three times (where it rang or 10+ rings with no one picking up), I finally got through to the desk. 15 minutes later, someone came to our door. No apology and tinkered through our room for 5 minutes with no progress. At this point, I asked for a different room, he radioed that in, and was denied. 15 minutes later he finally got it fixed.

That was all an improvement until we came back our third night and the air conditioning was again broken. Frustrated with our experience the first night, instead of submitting ourselves to another 45 minute rigmarole, we decided to open our windows for a bit and thankfully the air had cooled off.

We checked out the next day. As per usual, as we didn't charge anything out of the ordinary, I did not look at my folio. Imagine my surprise then when I looked at the folio and despite having paid for the room with points, there was a $75 cost per night for the room.

Thus in the end, not only were the accommodations in poor condition, the service was poor, but the hotel also overcharged a 100-night Platinum member. Not what I would expect.

Room Tip: Away from main road to avoid car noise
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Korean first
Queen Creek, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Westin can be relied upon for providing upscale accomodations, grounds and facilities. This property is no exception with beautiful landscaping, pool area, family friendly water slides and modern accomodations. If you golf, they have a great course. Spa? of course. We found the help to be very friendly in a sincere way. We had a pleasant 4 days at the resort while we attended the BPS Paribas Tennis tournament and glad we did. We booked again for next year to repeat our very good experience.

Room Tip: Garden view is less expensive and the same layout as poolside
Green Features: They offer limited room services to reduce environment concerns
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This is such a lush, beautiful hotel! If you want a relaxing vacation, this is it. The grounds were quiet, no matter the time of day. The spa was great! Not too far from a major outlet. Anything you have a taste for is about 14 to 20 minutes away. Didn't get to try the restaurant on the property, maybe another time? The staff was always pleasant. Initially booked into a suite, I wish I hadn't requested a change. The second room was not as appealing. I thought all rooms would be equally nice.

Room Tip: If it's available, get a suite. If you're on the bottom floor, the ducks will walk right int...
Green Features: The hotel is big on recycling. Bins in the rooms for bottles/cans and small man made lakes.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I tagged along with my husband as he attended a conference at the hotel. The grounds are gorgeous, abutting a highly-rate golf course. Since I don't golf, all I can say is that it was impressive, especially when looking at snow-capped mountains in the distance.

There is one bar, one restaurant, and a takeaway window for dining. Fountains everywhere. A turtle. Two rabbits and several pools (two with slides). Had it been warmer, I would have spent all day at those pools. I heard the spa was very nice, but I preferred a trip to Desert Hot Springs for a soak.

The room itself has a balcony that overlooked the parking lot. We booked a king, probably with a better view, but were told that room wasn't ready on Sunday at 4pm. We could take the double or wait. The front desk staff could not tell us when the room we reserved would be ready and was not apologetic about it at all. Instead of an upgrade for the aggravation, we were given the room with no view. So, my suggestion is to insist on getting a room with a pool view or a course view. Pick a building further from the lobby, but with a view, if you have to make that choice. The refrigerator was strangely located next to my bed and so loud that we had to move it into the bathroom.

And the wifi was terrible, not usable. I had to upgrade my phone data plan because I used so much cellular data reading my email and searching Tripadvisor. This is really just terrible for a convention center hotel.

A few different turns could have made this into an excellent stay. I would consider coming back, especially if I wanted to spend days at the pool with my kid. I would consider it a good value, if we had a nice view and they fixed their wifi.

It is a twenty minute drive into Palm Springs proper and 10 minutes from the airport.

Room Tip: Insist on a view - pool or course
Green Features: They will give you points if you elect to not have housekeeping come in every day to change towels/linens.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The grounds of this property was absolutely beautiful.
Unfortunately the food was not much to talk about except it was just plain bad and service no even up to par! Extremely disappointed in the room and the food quality and service. There was a lady at the Fireside Lounge when we first arrived that gave exceptional service, and set the standards of what we thought was going to be an excellent trip; however, she was the only encounter of great service the 4 days we were there.
The carpet in the room was absolutely filthy, my white socks were black by walking around the floor and that is just gross, especially being gouged at $350+ a night.
I work for a resort and expected so much more from this one.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Warwick, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We just returned from a 6 night stay at this resort. The public areas are fine but the rooms need updating. We were traveling with our teenage daughter and had two connecting rooms. Both rooms bathroom floors needed replacement as they looked dirty and were displaying many black marks (from housekeeping shoes?).
The refrigerator in our room was not working and obviously hadn't worked in some time as the front controls had been gouged out. We called and it was replaced, but one has to wonder how did they not see this themselves.
Also the "heavenly" bed was in dire need of replacement as one side sagged significantly forcing my wife and myself to have to sleep on basically half of the bed during our stay.
I am an SPG gold member and would say this is one of the most tired Westins I have stayed in.
The public rooms, view and golf courses were all nice, now all they need to do is renovate these rooms asap.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We attendended the BPS Paribas Tennis tournament in neighboring Indian Wells Tennis Garden. Accomodations are very hard to get during this time. We are Starwood members so we did some trading to get a villa for 4 days (non Starwood members can rent,too). It was very clean and roomy with a kitchen, separate bedroom, washer/dryer and 2 tvs. Beautiful grounds and pool. There is also a hotel on the property which is more appropriate for a shorter stay with less house like amenities. All the help was very friendly and helpful. They have restaurants on the property with lots of others near by. We will stay there again next year.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!