“Fabulous Family Get Away” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Chicago, Illinois
“Fabulous Family Get Away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed at the Mission Hills resort over Christmas and had a wonderful experience! Where to begin!! We loved:
- The pool - we had so much fun playing volleyball, basketball, sitting in the hot tub. We were 3 families and had a blast. The pool was extremely warm and perfect for December. We all agree it's one of the best pools we have experienced.
- The grounds - expansive and lush. Other reviewers complain about the long walks, but we loved them!
- The staff. Our anniversary is on Christmas and we enjoyed drinks by the fire pit outside the bar. Our friends surprised us with a cake and then the waitress surprised us with a tiramisu to celebrate. It was a very nice gesture and the tiramisu was delicious!
- The activities. The resort had activities planned every day. One of the best was holiday cookie decorating. Everyone got a chef hat and, cookies and toppings for decorating. The adults were provided Champagne to enjoy while decorating. One of the great memories from the trip!
- Starbucks on site
- The arcade and game room - The kids enjoyed some downtime with a lot of gaming options. I enjoyed a throwback to Ms. Pac Man
- Heavenly bed
- Large bathroom with a rain shower
- The manager gave us free breakfast coupons and the kids enjoyed the plentiful breakfast buffet

We ate at various restaurants in Palm Springs so I can't comment on the resort restaurants.
We enjoyed Indian Canyon for hiking and the Aerial Tram. I highly recommend both!

Just two minor items:
1) Check in was a little bumpy as we had 3 rooms and the hotel had incorrect information that didn't match my booking. The manager was very responsive though and got our rooms arranged quickly.
2) The resort view rooms are a little dark and could use updating to make them more resort feel instead of standard hotel room

Overall a great experience for the family!

Room Tip: Resort view means no view. If you book, be prepared. One week prior to arrival, I received an emai...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Chicago009,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We appreciate you choosing our resort for your holiday-anniversary getaway. We are so pleased to hear you had a fantastic time during your stay in our resort. We are thrilled to know all our associates went above and beyond for you and your family and they were able to surpass your expectations! We hope you have the opportunity to join us again to enjoy our renovated Italian inspired Pinzimini restaurant and much more!
Be well,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Korean first
Kirkland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Enjoyed a business conference this past week and then the weekend with my spouse at this Starwood property. The staff is very attentive and helpful. I want to call out specifically Kayla from the pool. She took great care of us Saturday and Sunday (2/1-2) at the pool. She made sure that our allergy issues were addressed and any need we had was fulfilled. Exactly the pleasant experience you want and expect....and all with a smile. My 4 star rating is based on a couple of interactions that were not perfect. First, we asked for a slight delay in checkout on Sunday. We were told no on several occasions.....the staff did not look at my status or really my request but we received a polite "no". I am Gold at Starwood....not Platinum but nonetheless and we were not accommodated. The property itself could use some TLC....I realize that it is a non-stop maintenance affair at a property that large but we expect a little more.....there should be nothing green in the bottom of the pool.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the golf course.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear Troy B,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We apologize for the inconveniences you faced during your time with us. Our guests are very important to us so we are reviewing your specific feedback so we can make improvements moving forward. We are pleased to hear you had an amazing time during your stay in our resort. We are thrilled to hear you were able to enjoy some time with you family after you business conference and that our associate was able to go above and beyond for you exceeding your expectations! We will be more than happy to share your lovely comments with her as she will be pleased to know she caused a positive and memorable impact on your stay. We truly hope you have the opportunity to join us again!
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Had a wonderful annual getaway with my mom and sister. This was the first time we stayed at this resort and we loved every minute of it. Raul was a golf cart Limousin driver, he helped us with our bags just a we arrived and even gave us a ride back to our room after dining at the Fireside Lounge. What made my experience was the service I received at one of their restaurants on site, Pizzariam (or something along those lines). The atmosphere was inviting and the staff was attentive and on point. I have a dairy allergy which makes eating out a bit of a difficult, however, Manny our server (and Lance his shadow) were absolutely amazing. When the kitchen sent my food out with cheese on it, I had a new meal within 5 minutes. Manny never made me feel that I was inconveniencing him in anyway and made sure my food OK for me to eat. I would recommend this resort and restaurant to anyone and everyone!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Amanda E,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We appreciate you choosing our resort for your lovely getaway. We are very pleased to hear you had a wonderful time during you stay and that you loved our new and renovated Italian inspired restaurant Pinzimini. We will be more than happy to share your lovely comments with them as I am sure they will be thrilled to know they exceeded your expectations. We truly hope you have the opportunity to join us again!
Gig Harbor, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Lush mature greenery, luxury beds & villas, an unbeatable central location & friendly attentive service. And yes, two top-notch golf courses i can play again & again and enjoy every time.
Why would we stay anywhere else? We will keep coming back 3 - 4 weeks a year.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Dennis G,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us, we appreciate your loyalty. We are thrilled to hear you had a wonderful time during your stay in our resort. We are pleased to know you were able to enjoy our amenities, specially our 2 Championship Golf Courses! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Auburn, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

The Westin Mission Hills is a perfect place to get away. We found it extremely quiet and comfortable, and the grounds were very beautiful. There were lots of kid's baseball, lacrosse, and basketball teams staying there with families, and they were a joy to have around. The resort set up a big-screen projection area outside on Saturday evening with a fire pit and showed some movies for them, and they loved it. Our room overlooked the restaurant, and we could hear the lovely waterfall in the background. Overall, it was a lovely place to come to every evening after golf. We would recommend it to our friends, definitely.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear gshattog,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us! We are thrilled to hear you had a wonderful time during your stay in our resort. We are pleased to know you were able to enjoy a little bit of everything: the breathtaking views, beautiful and tranquil grounds, fun amenities and more! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I just returned from a 2 night stay on a business conference at this resort. I loved this resort and property and only wish I had the time to indulge in the spa, play tennis and hike around the local environment. I would definitely return here for a personal vacation in the future.
My room was beautifully decorated, large, quiet and the bed was fantastic. I enjoyed the breakfast offered at the restaurant and the bar/lounge at night. The staff were all very helpful and friendly.
This is a great spot for a business conference, a family vacation, for couples and for solo travelers.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Lov2TravelSanDiego,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We are pleased to know you had a great time during your conference in our resort. Although the time for you might have been limited, we appreciate the time you took to compliment us on some of the amenities and areas of our property you were able to enjoy! We definitely look forward to welcoming you back soon so you can enjoy our beautiful and relaxing Spa, and play some tennis in those fantastic courts.

Warkworth, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I am not rich...but I stayed with the rich...ONE night. I was in LA investigating business opportunities when I had enough. Venice Beach was disappointing and smelly. LA traffic was appalling. I decided to head out to Palm Springs where the Rat Pack used to hang...dry, warm desert in the middle of the winter......Feb...WAAY warmer than my hometown of Toronto Canada....or close by anyway. Stayed at the Colony Palms 'boutique' hotel.....LOVED IT. But while I was there, I decided to spend ONE night at the place where I had seen pro golf tourney's played on TV for years....the classic 'Mission Hills'. the Pete Dye course the call "The Diabolical". LOL. Appropriate.. I was NOT disappointed. Sure, it cost $600 for less than 48 hrs...but, what did I get for that?! I got 9 holes the afternoon I checked in, killer room service dinner that was eaten on a Westin 'Heavenly Bed' that INSTANTANEOUSLY cured my GF's bad neck and back after a GREAT night's sleep she hadn't had in a LOOONG while. In fact, and this is a true story, she ORDERED the EXACT SAME HEAVENLY BED, from Westin Canada...and we sleep in that $4000 bed (sheets and mattress pad included) to this VERY day. The food entrees from room service were absolutely delicious. We played 18 holes the next morning that were beautiful..paired with an older couple we had never met. We bought the man's CD as he was a world class jazz pianist from CA that was raising money for breast cancer...cool guy...nice wife. All in all, GREAT golf, GREAT food, GREAT bed....that's all one coulod ask for really. Just too pricey to stay another night...but worth the 'adventure'...if you are of medium income like I am. Enjoy...please...I know we did.

Room Tip: Try it once, even if it's 'out of your price range' and you like to golf. If you don...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JoeyMartin,
Thank you for your recent review, we truly appreciate the time you took to share your recent experience with us. We are pleased to know you decided to try our resort for one night and that you had a fantastic time during your stay. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed our Championship Golf Courses as well as our famous “Heavenly Bed” experience and our exquisite food with phenomenal service experience! We hope you have the opportunity to join us again so you can enjoy some of our new amazing amenities and offers.

Be well,

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!