“Overall all, a great place to stay.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Los Angeles, California
“Overall all, a great place to stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Just returned from a 3 night/4 day stay. We stayed on the "hotel" side but you can use any pool on the property so we switched off and on from the hotel pool to the Villas pool. Both were great, water slides for the kids, activities for young children, pool area was clean. Our teens played ping pong, there was an arcade and pool table so there was something for everyone. The food from room service was delicious and room service was fast and not overpriced, especially for kids' meals. Our room itself was spacious and clean. 90% employees were incredibly helpful and friendly. There were one or two that looked like they couldn't care less but that was the rarity and you'll find that in any hotel. The biggest drawback: the hotel's "Marketplace/Starbucks" which is their store for magazines and other necessities as well as coffee in the morning. The Starbucks employees were a joke. One employee only to make the drinks. Two people trying to ring up on the cash register and they didn't know what they were doing! They were looking up codes, double ringing, etc. The line was out the door and the guests were getting really peeved. Waited in line for 30 minutes. I ordered a regular cup of coffee. Not capp. or latte or anything else. THey forgot to brew a pot and so I had to wait another 15 min. for a cup of black coffee. How do you not have regular coffee brewed first thing in the a.m.?!?! For a luxury resort, they need to be on top of what vendors they contract with and keep on top of them. Several of us complained to the hotel mgr. who was very nice and went over right away to see what the problem was. I appreciated he took the time to immediately address. Seriously, I suggest you order breakfast room service, it will be faster, better and the same price. Starbucks there was overpriced and the employees were incredibly bad.
We loved our room, the property itself is very spread out but there are golf cart shuttles running constantly if you'd rather not walk. Though we hardly used them because walking was very pleasant. Lots of fountains, running streams, ducks. Overall, I recommend this place!

Room Tip: Go thru AAA to get the best rate. We saved a ton of $$ that way.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Dear pattie p,

Thank you for your lovely review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and your children were able to have fun in our Hideaway Arcade! We will share your feedback with our Mission Hills Market & Cafe and we apologize for the challenges you faced when ordering your coffee.

We hope to see you again very soon.
Be well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

I stay at Starwood properties all over the world and usually have wonderful experience--with the exception of this property. I have stayed here a few times with the family on trips to Palm Springs and finally after my last (and final) stay, I felt like I needed to share my thoughts. As a Starwood Platinum and Lifetime Gold member, I get guaranteed late checkout. When I inquired at the front desk to confirm, they curtly told me it did not apply to this resort. I asked if there was anything that could be done, and then the proceeded to read me the text on the keyholder sleeve that absolved them of any responsibility in the matter. I t was all about deniability, not about my needs or how I could be otherwise accommodated (with 2 kids!).

Then, after I let them know how ridiculous this way, our keys mysteriously stopped working in our door, and even after schlepping to the front desk to get them re-magnetized, we had to wait 30 minutes for security to come in and let us in the room. Coincidence? I don't think so.

The checkin staff are not nice and when I complained about my experience checking out, there was no attempt and trying to help me. As a result, I will not be going here again or reccommending to any of my friends. You want a GREAT Starwood experience in Palm Spring, stay at The Parker (where we go as well)--they treat you nicely!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear johnee99,

Thank you for your recent post. We'd like to extend our apologies for the challenges you faced during your recent stay. We thank you for your feedback and hope you will join us again in the future so we may provide the finest service the Westin was founded upon.

Thank you for your patronage and be well.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for a three day mini vacation.
The grounds were nice. Pool was chilly. Weather was perfect
Went to the spa for massage and suffered the usual three men in the locker room, all assigned lockers next to each other, why can't spas figure out a method to spread people out? Then found that the steam room was not functioning.
Purchased items at the coffee shop and found I was over charged, the employees informed me that the sale price sign in front of the items did not apply to the items, so they removed the sign. They did refund my money.
The dining options were adequate but pretty limited. I overheard several people ask if there was any other restaurants on the property, obviously looking for a fine dining experience. The staff were friendly, yet you could easily find yourself outside the service loop unless you asked a server to help you.
On the morning we were to check out, we were awakened by slamming doors. First it was in the room to the north of us, then to the room south of us. I looked out and found the maid in the alcove, I asked her to quit slamming doors and the noise stopped. I don't know if it was an intentional means of clearing rooms so they could get people out or if it was a coincidence. It was the same maid that was there previous days, without the door slamming, so I have to wonder.
At check out, there was only one desk clerk at 11:45. The line was approximately 10 people. They may have not realized that a 12 o'clock check out may bring customers to the lobby that might need to speak to somebody around that time.
Overall it was a pleasant experience, mentioning the above minor items to give the property constructive feedback.
I don't think that we will return to the Westin at Mission Hills.

• Stayed April 2012
Dear coug,

Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate your feedback and will follow up with the departments mentioned. We hope you will give us another opportunity to provide the service the Westin was founded upon. Thank you for your patronage and we hope to see you again.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012 via mobile

The staff was awful. We were told we had a welcome bag at the front waiting for us and to go see Heidi to retrieve it. Once we found Heidi she gave us a coupon voucher for golf nothing more, was very short with us and rude and then sent us on our way. We misplaced a room key but the front desk told us they couldn't give us another and the bartender was the rudest lady I have ever been encountered with. The staff made a beautiful vacation AWFUL!!!

• Stayed April 2012
Dear Hotelratingjcf,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear your challenges with our staff. We will address the departments mentioned and would like to apologize. We strive to offer our guests the best possible service and we thank you for your feedback, as this allows us to improve. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to regain your confidence.

Thank you again and be well.
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I will NEVER stay here again & I feel I have to let others know they should stay anywhere else but here.
Hotels at this price point are allowed to have 1-2 mistakes/problems but the Westin in Rancho Mirage has a long list of problems.
"Never judge a book by it's cover" holds true here. When you drive up, the front, the lobby & courtyard are all lovely. The grounds are lovely, clean & well kept. That is if you don't look at the buildings where the rooms are, those are hideous.
That is where it ends. The smoke screen disappears, reality of this Westin smacks you in the face & continues to do so until you leave.
1. We had a "pool view", deluxe room. There was nothing deluxe about the room. The pool view was minimal & should not cost extra.
2. We were on the first floor. We could hear every step, movement, flush, sliding glass door, closet door, water, everything! Other guests told me kids were riding scooters in the room above them and it sounded like a pack of elephants. When the sliding glass door is opened on the second floor it sounds like thunder in your 1st floor room.
3. Internet- IS NOT FREE, it is part of the "resort fee". It is slow and often doesn't work. Your cell phone hardly works either.
4. I love the Westin's Heavenly Bed. Not at this Westin. The duvet cover is so worn out, the velcro that keeps the duvet in, no longer sticks together. When you get in bed, you have this duvet on you & open velcro with the duvet hanging out. Both nights I had to remake the bed so the worn out velcro was at the bottom & not on my face. Nothing heavenly about that.
5. TV- the remote doesn't turn the tv on, you have to do it manually. It controls volume & changes the channel only, it doesn't turn the tv on or off. The color, & picture are awful, face are red, pictures are blury. There are only a few channel options & in a kid friendly hotel, they have nothing for kids past 4pm so you are forced to PAY for your child to watch something appropriate while you are getting ready.
6. Bathroom- In our "deluxe" room, the toilet & shower/tub are in a cave with a lightbulb that is so dim you are in the dark. The shower/tub is the kind you find in a cheap motel. There is a plastic, $5. full length mirror on the back of the cave door. You can't stand back to see yourself because the closet is behind you.
7. Mini Bar- I ate a small pack of almonds priced at $10.00. When I went to the front desk to check my bill, it had the almonds charged at $13.05. A service charge of $3.05 was added to the $10. price for the almonds.The Westin charges the guest to have an employee refill the mini bar. Mini bar items are already marked up 1000% & every hotel refills the mini bar to make more money. I feel violated by this disgusting greedy fee.
8. Mandatory fees & taxes - You are charged a $27. resort charge + a $15. Occupancy/Tourism Tax + TOT/BID Assessment + tax on the Occupancy/Tourism Tax of $15. all PER NIGHT. This adds up to an additional $47.70 per night on top of your room rate.
9. The "Travel Traders" sundry shop ought to be shut down. I will write a review for that shop on its own.
10. The pool area is crowded which is fine with me but the service is horrid. When you order a drink, it takes at least 30 minutes to get it. There is trash everywhere. The staff does not clean throughout the day. I saw a beer can floating in the pool. Many kids are riding scooters around the crowded pool. This is dangerous and should not be allowed. The staff said it is not allowed but nobody stopped a single kid while I was there.
11. Restaurants- The site says they have 5 restaurants.
1. The main restaurant which has no kids menu. Interesting for a kid friendly hotel. The service is terrible & slow. The food is boring and overpriced.
2. The pool "restaurant" which is a walk up counter. (or at your lounge chair if you want an hour + wait) This menu is tiny & only has one healthy option.
3. The bar/lounge food which is pieces from the main restaurant menu.
4. Room Service
This is not 5 restaurants. This is 1 restaurant.
12. Spa- While at the spa, the leaf blower was blasting & loud. Not relaxing.
13. Front desk- At check in there was a line 8 people long with 2 people working. This was spring break & the hotel was sold out but they only had 2 of the 8 check in desks open. The rooms were messed up, they weren't ready, they weren't anywhere near our friends as requested, actually as fI was overcharged for items & charged for food at the pool which I never ordered. I had to spend time reviewing the bill & then discuss the mistakes to be removed. This took time as the person helping me had no idea what she was doing. (It was almost funny)
There is much more but I will end here. If you stay here, you will need a vacation from your vacation.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
San Mateo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

This was such a beautiful resort. It had so much to do; golf, pool with water slide, game room, video game room.
The only disappointment was I thought my reservation was for 2 queens and got two doubles, and no robes in the room.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear princessjax29,

Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate your comments and thank you for your feedback. We'd like to apologize for the lack of robes in your room. We do normally have these available and in the rooms for our guests.

Again thank you for joining us and we hope to see you again soon.
Roswell, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We travelled on a group rate for the KraftNabisco. Tried to upgrade, but they were sold out. Thank goodness! Our room was on the ground floor right on the golf course with magnificent views, wildlife, and even some friendly ducks that came right into our patio for some quackers (haha!). The grounds and property were stunning and immaculately maintained. Our room was large, comfortable, and clean with a king size bed, separate sofa, desk, and a mini-bar as well as mini-fridge. Bathroom was large and had handicap grab bars all over it, so we assumed it was designed for handicapped. On the down side, the air conditioning emitted loud "ticks" whenever it turned on or off, loud enough to disturb this light sleeper. There were also bright flashing lights on the phone for network connections and a message light that was bright enough to keep me awake until I finally threw a pillow over it. I liked having the choice of housekeeping or $5 food credit. Our last night there, we went to the Fireside Lounge to use up our food credits. Food and drinks were great but very expensive. I'm glad we didn't get a room facing a fence or a gate or another building. This would have been a totally different review.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the golf course. No, DEMAND a room on the golf course!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Dear Gol4Girl,

Thank you for your recent post! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and loved your Golf View Room. We take great pride in keep our grounds tidy and we are thrilled you were able to enjoy our property. We hope to see you again soon. Be well.

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!