“Great resort in the desert” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
arizona
“Great resort in the desert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

We stayed at the Westin Resort June 22 to June 26 2011. We had a view of the golf course which was very nice. First of all, the resort itself is very large. The resort sits next to the Westin Villas which is a timeshare property. An employeee told me that the two properties are over a mile long. There are several pools throughout the complex. Both the villas and the resort have main pools which have slides and guests are free to use any of the pools at either property. The fitness center has very good equipment. The spa has the usuual amenities; steam room, jacuzzi, snacks etc. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and are extremely well maintained. The rooms are oversized and we found that we had plenty of room. The only negative was that there didn't seem to be enough light in our room. There is a resort fee of about $30 daily which covers the fitness center, newspaper, internet, and spa admission. We arrived late in the evening and the front desk manager agreed to waive the first day resort fee. We ate one time at the pool, and the food was good but pricey which is expected. This is a great resort and we will return.

Room Tip: Ask for a golf course view
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
WestinMissionHills, Director of Sales at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
Thank you for sharing your recent review with us. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed a relaxing experience with us, and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Westin Mission Hills Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Korean first
Chula Vista, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

The quality of my stay here is so bad that I am compelled to write this review before I go to sleep.  As a member of the Starwood Ambassador program, I've stayed in my fair share of Westin hotels & resorts.  Until today, the quality of my stays were good to excellent. It became a predictable & comforting thought that no matter how good or bad the flight, the rental car or the restaurant were, I could always count on my stay at the Westin to save the day...until today (or tonight).

We checked into our room and after approximately an hour we began noticing a number of bugs on the walls. After trying to kill a few of them I called down to the front desk to have my room changed.  The manager at the hotel side of the property was able to move me into the Premium Villa directly above ours.  After moving our things over, we were shocked to find that there were even more flys in our new room.  After killing approximately 16 flys, I lost count & gave up. At this point it's about 12 midnight & I wasn't about to move my wife & kids again to another room (btw, it took a minor miracle to move to this new one).  The floor in my original non-smoking room had a cigarette burn in the carpet (which had stains & frayed edges). Overall the room looked like it's better days were behind it. After being assigned my new room, the kid who brought over my new room keys said "You don't need help with your bags, right?" As an added bonus, Room service forgot the ice cream we ordered and after a delay brought us melted ice cream.

If I want to stay at a disgusting, filthy hotel, I know where to stay the next time I'm in Rancho Mirage. It'll be here. As the sounds of flys buzz across my face as I stare into the brightness of my computer screen, I wonder just how tightly I can cover up hoping to get some semblance of sleep. Maybe I'll dream of a Marriott or Hilton?

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your recent review with us. We are very sorry to hear of the experience you had, and it is certainly not a reflection of the service we strive to provide each of our guests. I can certainly understand why these issues would have caused you to have a negative experience. I would be happy to discuss this with you further if you would like to contact me directly at katelyn.thurlow@gmail.com.

Best regards,

corona california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

Short jaunt to the desert, we normally stay at the Esmerelda, but tried something different.
We decided to give the Westin a try.
Overall we were not disappointed, but we were not impressed, Room was ok
spacious enough (popcorn ceilings must go ) beds were comfortable, bedding was great, 2 fridges were nice, work area was great, w. ifi in room was good. wifi inc in resort fee was nice ,bathroom area was nicer than rest of room great toiletries toilet/shower area needs better ventilation it was suffocating in there. self park available and free pool area was nice and clean and fun exceptional bacon(most great hotels have crappy bacon) but westins was very good and cooked perfectly .buffet as overall very good and even had very good fresh cut fruit. restaurant for dinner was good but pricey, no complaints good service .

Dislikes high resort fee, very poor beach chair to cabana ratio, (it seemed like over 40% of the area around the pool was devoted to cabana's vs 60% to chairs, and for those guests that didnt want a cabana there was"nt even standing room.
Shame on westin!! For that high of a resort fee there should be Bottled water included i believe Marriott still includes water. this is a low rise flat resort lots of walking, in the heat no interconnecting air conditioned corridors bit of a disappointment when its over a hundred out. Breakfast was over 24 dollars for a buffet (thats a bit much) for those that actually had to pay for it.

contrary to those who say its a great deal, i for one didnt get a great deal but nor was it expensive. i got the birthyear promotion which was a bit of a farce. but it was ok. I would have to think real hard if asked if i would stay here again, we are not golfers, besides the pool there wasnt much else, it was for the pool slide and warm weather that we came out nothing else.

Room Tip: stay close to center of
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

We have stayed here the past 5 years for Father's Day and found that service, cleanliness and our trust in the hotel have dropped after this most recent visit.

Cleanliness-room was not as clean as in past visits, in-room dining dish pick-up was also very slow and the pools didn't look as maintained as in the past.

Service-despite it being a busy weekend, the hotel pool area was not well staffed. On one occasion, it took us an hour to locate a place to order and then receive our food.

Trust-we came back from a day at the pool to find the door to our room ajar. We had not been in the room all day and housekeeping had been in since we left. We reported the incident but later discovered that two credit cards were stolen and used to make purchases by someone other than us at the hotel. We are now working with the Westin to try and resolve this as well as filing a police report, but obviously our comfort and trust has been severely diminished and it is very hard to now recommend a stay here. Friends who were also staying at the hotel had their "privacy please" signs us and housekeeping entered three of their rooms, so obviously there is something amiss.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
WestinMissionHills, Director of Sales at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. Based on our security teams conversations with you, we understand that you have recovered your misplaced credit cards and that the charges you are referencing were simply credit authorizations. We are happy to hear that you were able to locate your lost credit cards and hope to welcome you again soon.

Thousand Oaks, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

As a Starwood member and timeshare owner (Maui), we stay at the Mission Hills Resort fairly often. We've been noticing that the maintenance on the rooms has been lacking the last few times, and the customer service has not been up to the usual Westin standards, either.
During this most recent stay, we ran into several maintenance issues as follows;
-The television was very fuzzy and maintenance had to be called. We didn't turn on the TV until later in the evening on the first night- too late to call maintenance- and so could not watch TV in our room with any enjoyment.
-One of the bathroom sinks backed up when we weren't using the sink, and filled the bowl with unsanitary and dirty water residue. The maintenance man who came to the room to fix the problem told us that the pipes between the two rooms were connected, seemed to be clogged, and this had been happening. The bathtub also was clogged and filled up whenever we showered. Why is the problem not being fixed?
-One of the patio chairs was broken, and although it was replaced when we called, the broken one was shoved aside and left on the patio.

The morning we checked out, we checked everything in the room except the safe, and upon arriving home discovered that valuables had been left behind. When I tried to call, we could not get through for the first 24 hours- the line was constantly busy. The operator at the 800 number tried as well, and also could not get through.
When I finally got through the next day, I spoke with Elena in Security, who promised to send the items right out. Today I received a call from my gym here at home notifying me that someone named Al Silvas had called them to let them know he had somehow received my package from The Westin, and he was sending it back to the Westin. My keys had been one of the items left behind and they called the gym tag on my keychain, which was very considerate of him and much appreciated, however I do NOT appreciate my personal belongings being sent to a stranger who then went through them and very well could have NOT sent them back. I won't know until I receive the package whether or not everything arrived safely. Having my keys sent to someone other than myself is rather unsettling.
Also, a pair of jeans were also left in the room (probably on the back of the bathroom door), but were not turned in by housekeeping apparently. While I do take responsibility for leaving these items behind, I've never had anything go unreturned when left at a hotel before.
Although we realize that most businesses are trying to save money these days, it seems counterproductive to try to do it where your customers, who you need to keep-and keep happy, are dealing with the consequences. It's also surprising that the high standards that The Westin are known for are being allowed to slip. It seems clear that maintenance needs to be checking these rooms on a more regular basis to keep up with the wear and tear. These are not inexpensive rooms, whether they are paid for monetarily or with points (the point charge is the same as in Maui!). At these prices we expect to get what we are paying for.

A couple of times we had to go to the front desk with questions and/or an issue, and were not greeted with a welcoming attitude. There was a bit of a feeling of being a bother. The concierge was warm and friendly, however, and very helpful. She gave the kind of customer service I would expect from The Westin.

We like the Westin Mission Hills Resort and we are disappointed to have to deal with these issues during our vacation time.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
WestinMissionHills, Director of Sales at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 28, 2011
Thank you for sharing your recent review with us. I'd like to sincerely apologize to you for the confusion over your belongings. We did recover the belongings though unfortunately there was an internal issue communicating the correct address. We work hard to deliver exceptional service to each guest, though sometimes human error does effect us. We can understand why you would feel that way about another individual receiving your belongings, and are truly sorry for this inconvenience. If there is anything else we may do to service you, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at katelyn.thurlow@westin.com.

Best regards,
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

A very nice compound three large pools and a great looking golf course. More parking spaces are needed though as finding somewhere near our room was a challenge and with no one to help with luggage it was a bit irritating. The stay was good. we would go back for a golf break.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
WestinMissionHills, Director of Sales at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your golf weekend at our resort. Thank you for sharing your review with us and with the rest of the TripAdvisor community. We appreciate your thoughts regarding our on-property parking and I have passed your comments along to our operations team. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Carlsbad, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

This hotel is wonderful for all types of travelers - especially families. From the moment you pull up to the hotel, the staff is fantastic. At every turn they go out of their way to make you feel welcome, supported and happy. The pool with waterslides is a joy for the kids and the amenities are truly great. The only bummer of our entire stay was the fact that the A/C in our building went out some time in the early morning. We didn't think about it much at first, but retruning from breakfast and then prior to checking out it got a bit warm. However, that's not so diminish the fun and great experience we had at this hotel. If that's all that went wrong...then, that's still a really run, affordable stay. Hat's off to the staff of WMHR&S. Tom

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for sharing your recent review with us. It's so great to hear that you enjoyed fun family time at our resort, and that you and your family experienced the warm welcome and excellent service that all of our associates are dedicated to offering. We apologize for the technical malfunction that cause your A/C not to work - though we work hard to prevent them, these things of course happen from time to time and we appreciate your understanding of that. We truly hope to welcome you and your family again soon.

Westin Mission Hills

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!