“Carded by security!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Long Beach, California
“Carded by security!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

Our stay started out poor and plateaued at average. It began with a lackluster greeting at check in and then the room key didn't work. We called the front desk and they said they would send someone with new keys. Several minutes later, and after watching a curious cockroach, a security guard appeared. His greeting was, "Can I see ID." Wow, I was floored. No good evening or hello. Moving past that, there was a mix up with the room service payment twice and the bed sheet had holes in it. The pros: the fitness room was well equipped and uncrossed, the golf clinic was excellent and the pool was relaxing. The cons: the service.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
mmacleod32942, Director of Sales at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 11, 2011
Thank you for your recent coment. We appreciate your thoughts on our golf academy, pool areas and new Westin Workout facility. We will share them with our teams.

We regret and apologize for the service issues that you have expressed. Those items mentioned are not to our standard and rest assured we will review with our teams immediately. We also regret the mix up with the room keys and while the experience was not as pleasant as hoped please understand that our security team is responsible for the safety and security of all of our guests. It is our policy to request identification prior to room entry in the case of lost or unusable keys to ensure the safety and privacy of our guests. Again we apologize if that interaction was not as expected. Thank you for your comments and feedback and please visit us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
  • Korean first
Chula Vista, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

We have stayed at Westin Mission Hills Resort & Spa twice, this year and last year. Service from front desk in checking in last year was excellent, this year average. During both stays we experienced the same thing which is not at all a good thing. Last year, the morning of our last day, I discovered the bed sheets we used had several old blood stains. I was disgusted! Also our bath tub was clogged. I was about to call for service but my husband being a plumber fixed it himself, which should not have been the case. This year's experience, upon checking in our room.. I noticed all tables, etc. was very dusty! It had not been wiped for awhile, so I ended up cleaning it myself because I did not want to complain. Then the next day when all our bed sheets were changed, one of the pillow cases replaced had yellow stains all over it on both sides! Again, I did'nt call it in since it was already late at night when we returned back to our room. We did not use that pillow. I did report all this on the comment card and turned it in to the front desk upon check out and was hoping to hear back from management or whoever is the one who is suppose to take care of this, but still nothing! It has been a week now. What I should have done is talk to management personally before leaving to make sure this matter is not disregarded. Because this is not minor at all. If you want visitors to return to your resort, this seriously needs to be dealt with. ALL STAINED/ SOILED BEDDINGS OR TOWELS NEEDS TO BE DISPOSED!!! Not washed and reused! That is just unsanitary! Especially when it can obviously be seen! I can't believe the ones changing and making up the beds still put them on to be used for others to use! The resort needs to make changes on this matter and implement standards for cleanliness/ sanitation. This is not a resort and spa lifestyle visit! Please do not disregard my feedback because I am telling you what needs to be done to be improved for your business! It may be negative, but you guys need to turn it into positive as it should be..! Other than that, location wise is great, close and convenient to all. Amenities is good. I am displeased with cleaniliness/ sanitation of all beddings, tidiness of room.. Management needs to make sure all rooms are satisfactorily ready for their visitors. Fresh, clean sheets and towels! Wiped tables, counters, furnishings, etc. Working bathtubs! Afterall, we are not staying for free.. so it should be made a worthwhile, enjoyable & memorable stay! I wish I took pictures of what I am letting you know so you can see it also!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for expressing your concerns. I invite you to contact Mr. Reggie Woolridge at reggie.woolridge@westin.com so that we may answer your specific concerns with you directly. Please reference this Trip Advisor review. Our sincere apologies for these concerns. We will review with our team immediately.
Fountain Hills, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

This resort has a beautiful setting on the golf course. The pool is lovely as is the grounds. We use our Starwood Preferred Guest points to stay here and it is by far the best resort in the Palm Springs area to stay if you are staying as a Starwood guest. The rooms are lovely and have been updated recently. Great flat screen TV, comfy king bed and nice patios or balconies. The staff is friendly and attentive. We usually are out most of the day and eat dinner offsite, but we really like breakfast and lunch at the pool. There is Starbucks coffee served. Oh did I mention there is Happy Hour in the Lounge Bar (I think it is called the Bella Vista Lounge). It is self parking by the building you are staying in, however, they will gladly accommodate bringing your luggage up to your room. Also, there are 2 floors and no elevators if that is a concern.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your thoughts and comments. We are are thrilled that you had a great stay and please visit us again soon.
Laguna N
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

Our trip started off not so good because when I booked my trip on-line I thought I had booked the Villas for our stay. Turned out that due to the confusing name of the "Westin Mission Hills Resort & Spa" and "Westin Mission Hills Villas" I had booked two rooms and not two villas. I had friends driving in from 5 hours aways with three small kids so the thought of having them stay in a room without a kitchen, when that is what I promised them was very distressing to me. We were told by the Villas that they were "totally book" and could not accomidate us. We then went back to the hotel and dealt with Cindy at the front desk, who was AMAZING to say the least. she tried very hard to get us a villa but when that failed she went out of her way to upgrade us to two large suites. Her service was impeccalbe and although we were disappointed to not have a villa with a kitchen, she did everything she could to accompidate us and make our stay very enjoyable. In the future I will be very careful to make sure exactly what I have booked because the websites are VERY confusing.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your comments. We really appreciate the positive feedback for Cindi Lopez. We have already shared these comments with her and she is very appreciative.

We look forward to hosting you again soon, please visit anytime.
Orange County, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

This is an upscale resort with many separate guest room buildings surrounded by the main building where the restaurants, main pool and conference center/ballrooms are located. I was given a 2nd floor king room in a building adjacent to one of their adult only pools. The room had a vaulted ceiling and a view of the golf course and pond with waterfall. The room looks like it was recently decorated with modern furniture and neutral colors. The wireless internet signal was strong in the rooms and flat screen tv had HD channels for viewing movies/cable stations. The main pool had padded lounge chairs and many umbrellas with unlimited thick long pool towels. Excellent pool service as expected at a Westin resort even if all you want is some ice water-no stuffiness-the employees seem genuinely happy to serve. A 2hr extended stay was granted even though I used Priceline (3rd party) to reserve the room at a large discount. $27 resort fee is the highest I have ever paid - seems like it should be around $20-25 to be fair to the guests.

Room Tip: ask for a 2nd floor golf view-vaulted ceiling!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
WestinMissionHills, Director of Sales at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
We appreciate your taking the time to share your recent review with us. It's so great to hear that our dedicate staff was able to assist you and that you enjoyed your time at our pool and the rest of the resort. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Best regards,

Westin Mission Hills Resort and Spa
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

This is the first time I have written a review-- for anything! So what prompted this first?? The staff at this Westin provided the BEST customer service!! From the beginning of our check in- my 4 year old daughter and I were treated like queens-- and it was Memorial Day weekend!! Monica at the front desk was smiling and personable. She saw that I was with my young daughter and immediatelyy thought to put us close to the main pool-- Which is what I wanted. Problem was-- Memorial Day and most of the rooms were already reserved etc. However, she was able to get us a room near the pool. Next- Raul-- the valet-- followed my car (in a golf cart-- the property is huge and while you can valet-- it realy makes sense to park your own car). Raul unloaded my car and all my daughters "stuff" scooter, bike, pool toys etc. He took us to our room and immediately saw the disappointment on my face when we got to the room. Yes it was near the pool- but it had a view of a wall and the parking lot. He immediately tried to call for a different room- he was unable to reach anyone (remember-- it is Memorial Day Weekend) so he suggested we get in the golf cart and go back to the front desk. He told us to sit in the lobby and he would take care of it. Debra- the concierge began talking with my daughter and I and offered us several discounts coupons on the property and let my daughter pick 2 toys out of the treasure box. Meanwhile, Raul came back and said he had two rooms for me to choose from. He took us to the one he thought we would like best and he was right. The room was an ADA room but it was great-- and it had a view of the fountain and the pool! The only downside was the bathtub/shower-- with the handheld but that was minor and it made me appreciate my good health! To "make up" for the ADA room- we were given complimentary breakfast coupons. As were unpacking- a knock on the door, my daughter answered to find a man with a tray of 3 chocolate chip cookes and 3 cartons of milk in a silver bucket. Her smile was priceless. Courtesy of Monica
The property is beautiful and the pool was amazing. The weekend was ridiculously crowded and pools chairs were hard to come by if you did not get there early. We were there at 8:00am opening. The pool is huge and has a great slide. The childrens activities were phenomenal! There was a tent set up for the kids to do crafts (range from $5-$18), a bouncy house was set up (they kind of goofed this one though-- failed to think abou the sun beating down on the rubber causing it to be VERY HOT!! but they tried. Lots of contests for the kids and just a great family fun environment. Check out was easy and Jose quickly made an adjustment on an error on my bill. All in all-- this was one of the best weekends we have had. I highly recommend this property to anyone with kids

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us and for taking the time to recognize Monica, Raul, Debbie and Jose. They are each very valuable employees and I've shared your comments with them and the rest of our associates. We are so pleased to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed your time with us and that we were able to surprise and delight her with milk and cookies. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Be well,

Westin Mission Hills Resort and Spa
Pasadena, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

The resort looks nice from the outside but it needs some renovation in actual rooms. We got the standard room and had to ask the bed linens to be replaced because there were stains on the all the sheets. The shower looked like it had not been cleaned for awhile, and we had to ask the front desk twice for the room service menu and spa menu. When we went to have lunch on the property and there were flies all over the us and the food. Which was really disgusting. I also went to the spa for a massage which was good but not worth the $$$$. I also got a mani pedi also not worth the $$$$ the only reason I was not satisfied was bc for $200 bucks a foot massage should be included as well as a hand massage. We did inform the staff but they seemed not care.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your recent review with us. I am sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your stay and appreciate you sharing your feedback with us. We are very sorry to hear that your menus were not delivered in a timely manner, and that you did not enjoy your spa experience to the fullest. I have passed your comments along to each relevant department for review to help us better our guest experience.

Be well,

The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
#1 of 8 in Rancho Mirage
4.5 of 5 stars 347 reviews

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!