“Westin for Coachella Weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #4 of 8 hotels in Rancho Mirage
Toronto, Ontario
“Westin for Coachella Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

The Westin Mission Hills is another Westin success! Myself and two girlfriends spent the weekend of the Coachella Music and Arts Festival here, and it was a dream. The grounds are immaculate and the service is immpecible.

The grounds are large and spread out, but easy to get to because if you wait for no more then a few minutes, someone will take you where you need to go in a golf cart shuttle! It was great.

There are 3 pools, and on the first day we went to the "adults only" pool, and it was very quiet...too quiet. The next few days we went to the main pool, with the water slide (I have forgotten the name) and it was just as easy to relax, with plenty of chairs and umbrella's. The kids were not annoying at all ;)

Westin beds are a dream come true. For a troubled sleeper such as myself, I always look forward to sleeping on a Westin bed! Very comfy. Plenty of towels and toiletries, and robes. Big bathroom, with a vanity table, perfect for 3 20-something ladies traveling together! (lots of 'vanity' items to lay out!)

The Continental breakfast at the restaurant is great! As was the one dinner we ate there. There are 2 adorable "wild" ducks that frequent the patio, that will pester you for scraps, but are not bothersome, more cute to watch while you eat.

Overall we loved spending all day at the festival and having a cozy room at the Westin to come "home" to. I will definitely stay there again if ever in the Palm Springs area, and have recommended it as a destination my parents (who adore the hottest of hot places) check out.

Bring your sunscreen and a hat!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
WestinMissionHills, Director of Sales at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 29, 2011
We are so pleased to hear that you and your girlfriends enjoyed your Coachella weekend with us. It's definitely a fun time to visit and we are happy that we were a part of your experience. It's great to hear that you enjoyed our friends the ducks - the unofficial resort mascots - as well our large bathrooms, fun pool and Heavenly Westin beds. Thank you so much for recommending our resort to your parents - we hope to welcome you (and them) soon.

Take care,

1,764 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Korean first
Lake Forest, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

My husband and I finally found a weekend to peel away from our busy lives before the birth of our second son in June. I was so excited to get out of town and spend the day in the sun.

We arrived to Mission Hills late afternoon on Saturday. At check in they asked if we would like a first floor or second floor room?? And noted that the property had NO elevators. Ok we said we will take a first floor. She said great "i have a first floor room in our closest building near the pool with a "private" patio. (Maybe we were oversold? maybe we were just anxious)

We got the first room of the building of the entire property. Our "private patio" was the walk way up from the parking lot which sat 10 feet away from the first building. To boot we were the first room next to the late night busiest cleaning crew closet.

Desperate not to let the "little things" spoil our weekend we accepted our room and got ready and left for a wonderful dinner at Flemmings at "The River" about 5 miles away.

We settled back in to our room ad started watching a movie, at around 1a pm we started hearing the cleaning cart, or food cart, or something roll back and forth in front of our room. It seemed every 20 minutes the noisest cart would role by.

The car lights from the parking lot adjacent to our room kept flashing through our windows (even with all the blinds pulled and the black out shades).

Then at 1am as my husband lay alseep next to me the upstairs people woud walk back and forth to their rooms and laugh and carry on and the cleaning crew moved the carts and the cars would flash lights and on and on again.

I realize we can not control peoples behaviors but I have stayed in hundreds of hotels and never has insullation or room placement been SO poor that we can hear every little word spoken or step taken above us.

We complained early in the morning and were offered almost no sympathy. We asked for later check out to compensate for our poor experience and lack of sleep and were told no.

For over $300 a night I would really have expected better than the motel experience we received.

I have stayed at Westin's before and have historically loved the experience but this trip has caused me to rethink that.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
WestinMissionHills, Director of Sales at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent review with us. We are very sorry to hear that your relaxing getaway with your husband was not as you had expected. We understand how important this type of downtime can be. Though we cannot control the behavior of other guests, I do apologize for the loud noises that disrupted you. The experience you described with our front desk is certainly not up to our service standards, and for that I am sorry. If you would like to discuss your experience, or any additional concerns, please feel free to contact me personally at katelyn.thurlow@westin.com.

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

I love Westin Hotels. I stayed in the San Francisco Westin just a few weeks ago. I was so excited when I saw there was a Westin Spa by Palm Springs. The plan was to take my 17 year old daughter to Coachella, but still have a nice relaxing spa like vacation. The photos looked great, I was set to go. I called three times on my way up to make sure I would get a room close to my daughter's, the one King and one Queen that I had booked,. Not enough people had checked out, so they couldn't tell me.The next time I called back they had called the front desk on my behalf and it was all blocked out. When we arrived the rooms were wrong, the Manager was apologetic but kept repeating that they don't reserve rooms, the person shouldn't have told me that they would. But they had blocked out the rooms, someone else apparently switched them. When we got to the rooms finally, one of the room smelled so bad we just ended up bunking in to one of the rooms and abandoning the second room. The rooms really need upgrading. They feel dowdy.
Then there was the room service. So scary, not at all up to Westin standards. A wilted salad, a jumbo shrimp cocktail that looked days old and pizza that tasted horrible.
The maids were very nice. I stay in lots of great hotels and Westin is one of my favorites, but the Westin in Mission Hills did not seem like a Westin or a resort. The Manager finally said he would give me 1500 starpoints which I really appreciated, then I got an email today that said he was giving me 500 starpoints, I do not usually complain, I just think this hotel needs to be under new management.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We apologize that we were not able to accommodate your room type needs. It is our policy to accommodate each guest to the best of our ability, in order to provide them with the personalized service and relaxing experience they deserve. If there is anything I else I may assist you with, please contact me personally at katelyn.thurlow@westin.com

Simi Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

Wait listed me when there were no more rooms that were supposed to be available up to a date that had not yet passed. Contacted about a room within days. The room was large, clean, and comfortable with a refrigerator. Not enough lighting though.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, and with the rest of the TripAdvisor community. If I may do anything to assist you during your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact me at Katelyn.Thurlow@westin.com.

Pico Rivera, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

I stayed at the Westin for a conference. It didn't take but 15 minutes to get to the conference center. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms are very nice. The beds....heavenly! I would recommend this property to everyone!

Room Tip: Room in rear near adult only pool.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
WestinMissionHills, Director of Sales at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 20, 2011
Thank you so much for sharing your recent review with us. We are so pleased that you enjoyed a relaxing conference at our resort. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Be well,

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

I am staying at the hotel tonight on business. I am writing this revoew from my heavenly westin bed, which is quite comfortable. The room is actually very spacious, i have no complaints with the room (except for that they seem to have forgotten to leave me a bathrobe). I read the reviews on tripadvisor before i booked this hotel, and many people seemed to share one complaint - that the hotel will rent out a portion of rooms/part of the hotel to the detriment of all the other guests. Well what do you know...upon Check in i am told that the hotel has been rented out to a group and that after midnight on the night of my check in i cannot get food at the hotel the next day! No room service because another group has rented out the hotel, and they are obviously more important than all the other guests! They say they will give a breakfast voucher for some restaurant down the street - if and only if - you check out by 9:30am! Well sorry, but i have to work tomorrow, and have to be there by 8am. My plan was to order breakfast to be delivered to my room early at 7. I cant check out by 9:30 and get a voucher because I have to work past that time. I find it very annoying that the hotel puts the money of booking the group over the rest of the guests that are not part of the group. I am paying the same (likely overinflated rate since it is coachella weekend) yet i don't get the amenities I was promised upon booking? Sorry Westin, but your customer service could use some improvement! Was it your intention to make all the guests that aren't part of the group feel second rate? Because that's what you've done.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
WestinMissionHills, Director of Sales at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 19, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Please accept my apologies for the limited services we are able to offer you at our resort. I have direct messaged you my contact information and hope to hear from you shortly so that I may do my best in resolving this matter, and showing you our appreciation for your loyal business.

Westin Mission Hills
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

I stayed at this hotel/resort for a business conference. First of all, the hotel lay out is not the greatest. It feels more like an apartment complex than a resort,a nd the rooms do not take advantage of the wonderful natural beauty of the area. Because of the lay out, the staff has to run everyone around in golf carts. The rooms are spacious, but nothing spectacular. The hotel also charges dearly for its mediocre services. They also charge a $27 resort fee plus tax, as a hotel surcharge, not mentioned in the fine print. Finally the service was awful. I found the staff to be poorly trained, with very bad english, and I would would not go near this place again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your recent review with us. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our campus style layout and resort shuttles. It is our policy to provide each guest with exceptional service, I am apologize that this is not what you experienced. If there is anything I may do to assist you further, please feel free to contact me at katelyn.thurlow@westin.com.

Westin Mission Hills Resort & Spa

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!