“Beautiful Family Resort :)” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
20% Off Your 2-Night Stay
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Yorba Linda, California
“Beautiful Family Resort :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

My family( me, my husband & our 20 month old son) stayed at Rancho las Palmas for 3 nights at the end of June. The resort is beautiful & the rooms are nicely updated. The rooms are large but the bathroom seemed a bit small but had two counter space areas which was nice. Wish the rooms had a fridge...had to pay the extra fee since we needed to have milk on hand for my son. They really should have a fridge in all the rooms since it is such a family friendly hotel. We were upgraded to a poolside room which was nice to be so close but I would rather be a little further away...is was a bit loud on movie night & when my son was trying to take a nap. The Splashtopia pool is lots of fun for kids & they keep the pool area very clean. We enjoyed having a cabana...it was nice to have the shade for my son. The food by the pool was really good...I had the turkey wrap everyday! I did have an issue with my food on the last day which I think could have been addressed a little better. The grounds of the resort are really beautiful...my son loved to go by the lake & see the ducks. It was also very nice that they have a Starbucks on property. Rancho Las Palmas has a perfect location....great to be able to walk across the street to The River. We had dinner at PF Chang's & Cheesecake Factory. The onsite restaurant seemed a bit expensive for dinner...especially when you have so many options within walking distance. Overall, we had a really wonderful stay & I would highly recommend this resort...we will return & it will probably be soon! We did have a few minor issues...keys not working after first night( they brought them to the pool for me) and the food issue on one of the days. Nothing that would keep us from returning. I have already recommended Rancho Las Palmas to my friends & family! Wonderful stay! :)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 20, 2010
Dear pedslvn75,
Thank you so much for posting your review! We’re glad you and your family enjoyed Rancho and Splashtopia! Our location and how close we are to The River is one of our favorite things and we’re glad you agree! We hope to see you again soon!
Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Palm Desert, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

Every year when my three daughters come to visit me in Palm Desert, Ca. I want to treat them to a day at the Rancho Las Palmas Spa. They have always been thrilled at the anticipated treatments, massages and facials. But this particular trip was such a disappointment, so much so that they will not return for Spa treatments. I just believe other patrons should be warned.
As my three daughters put on their suits in preparation for the steam room, sauna and jacuzzi, they stood in front of the steam room deciding which to do first. As they stood there, another woman walked up in her robe, and promptly dropped her robe to expose her nude body and went in to the jacuzzi. My daughters being shocked, went in to the steam room. As they sat there another lady, unknown to the first one, walked up, dropped her robe and exposed her nude body and went in to the jacuzzi. My daughters were not about to get in to the jacuzzi. This would be like taking a bath with nude people, which they wouldn't even do with their sisters. It totally ruined their day. I just want others to be warned, as they do not advertise it as a clothing optional hotel. I wrote to the manager, Mr Woo I believe, and he was not even so kind as to respond. Obviously he does not care. I live in the area, plus my nephew lives right across the way and spends or did spend a lot of money at that hotel, entertaining out of town visitors. I don't think that is happening any more. Please be forewarned.

• Stayed September 2009
Bay Area, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

We just returned from a two night stay at the Rancho Las Palmas resort in Palm Springs. This was our first trip to Palm Springs, and boy, was it hot-- but the resort was prefectly set up for the weather. We went for the pools. We have two kids, 4 and 6, and both spent much of our trip in the water. There is a lazy river, about 400 ft, with lots of inner tubes that everyone floats in, two waterslides, some fountains, and another large pool that is 3.5 to 4 ft in depth. Surrounding the larger pool are lots of chairs and umbrellas. There are lifeguards in both areas, and I thought they did a good job of keeping the older kids from being too rowdy without being terrifically strict. Onsite there is a shop to buy water toys-- we ended up splurging on a pair of water pistols, small ones which kept the kids and adults amused for hours. The pools were both very clean, and the staff did a good job of keeping it that way.
We also had the family getaway package, but unlike another reviewer, I thought it was a good deal for us. Our kids used their inner tubes quite a bit in the larger pool and now they have a great souvenir to take home. Also, we found the breakfast credit to be more than ample to feed our family of four. If your kids are 12 or under, they can go to the kid buffet free for every paying adult (kid buffet: pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, fruit). That left $50 for two adults. We ordered off of the menu-- not sure if there is not an adult buffet on the weekdays, when we were there-- everything arrived quickly, and the food was consistently good. During our stay, we had the huevos rancheros, eggs benedict, oatmeal brulee (highly recommended-- with berries and sugar that is carmelized under a broiler), and a bagel and lox. We had food credit to spare.
The checkin process went smoothly for us-- we were upgraded from a vista room to one overlooking the golf course but only steps away from the pool (thanks, David!). I think that even though we had kids, we would not have wanted a room looking out onto the pool because of the noise. (Our kids are too young to leave by themselves.) The room we were given was perfect. The view was lovely and peaceful; the room itself cool and immaculate. Beds extremely comfortable. In the evenings, my son and I would walk around the golf course and look at the baby ducks and tadpoles in the ponds on the golf course with the purple mountains as a backdrop-- really lovely.
Another nice thing is that there is a major retail complex called the River right across the street with many restaurants (PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory, etc.) so you are not tied to the resort. We spent one afternoon there at the movies to get out of the heat.
I thought the pricing was very reasonable for the service and quality of resort that we received. When your biggest complaint is the songbirds waking you up in the morning, you know that you've had a great visit.

Dear tandem_go,
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor! We’re very glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay here at Rancho! Thank you for posting such great tips for other guests to use! We hope you are able to visit again soon!
Huntington Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

I had been wanting to stay at this hotel for 2 years because of their renovations..ie "Splashtopia". I think on the surface the hotel is beautiful, the rooms were large & the staff at the beginning was amazing. The front desk, valets & the wait staff at the pool were the best. The prices were a bit much but not a huge departure from everywhere else. Our friends were there w/their kids so we went- My husband played golf said the course wasn't that great. He was excited to be at the pool w/the kids. The pool/lazy river & water slide area was sooo crowded-it was a nightmare, right up to the point that a drunk girl who was cussing (my husband as well as others asked her to stop) got up & jumped on him into the lazy river. The life guards were helpful-in the scuffle my husband lost his $300 dollar glasses. This is where the excellence ends- the security who took the report left & never came back with management. I went to talk to them & they said they wouldn't give me a copy of the report, nothing. That since my husband chose not to file a police report-their work was done. We had chosen not to call the police because he didn't want to further upset our kids or our other 2 groups of families. The manager told me to get a lawyer- period. There was no mention of replacing his glasses or sorry or could we get you a beer or anything. My husband called twice to discuss the situation and no one even returned his calls- unbelievable!!! So I guess I would say go during the off-season or at least watch your back- you may get attacked & the management & security won't protect you.

California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

We stayed over a Saturday night, primarily to enjoy the mini-water park on the weekend. Traveled with teenagers so it occupied their time well. However, we were given a room at the very far part of the property and was quite a walk from the front. in all fairness, the front desk said that a golf cart was available if we wanted a ride- which would be a "must" in the hot summer months (primarily July-Sept.) The pool is only accessible with a room key, which I learned the hard way, having to walk back to the room. Would have been nice to know upon check in. The staff is friendly The breakfast is horribly over priced. There is an omelette bar but it wasn't marked and not obvious to see. A little sign would remedy this and make me feel like I was getting better value for $. My "deal" from the hotel website included a $50 voucher for breakfast, which didn't even cover two people for the buffet. There was no choice of ala carte menu and one of the teenagers barely eats anything so it was a big waste of money. There were four of us, which made it quite expensive, and I would rather have gone to a mid-range restaurant for equivalent food at a much better price, and the little eater could have ordered accordingly. Our deal also included two inner tubes that we could keep, but there are plenty in the pool for everyone to use, so that wasn't necessary and not really a value added. So the deal didn't quite work out as I had planned. I found the staff helpful and friendly. The room was comfortable-great beds, but it is in need of serious renovation to live up to a resort hotel standard. I believe that some of the rooms have been renovated already? The rooms are huge and ours had a balcony. Nice little restaurant complex not far from the front gate of the hotel- including a Cheesecake Factory, one of our family's favorites. We chose this hotel for the water slides so we were not disappointed there. But if you don't care about that, another hotel in the area might better suit you and give you more value for your purposes.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Dear JBicrs,
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. We’re very sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We will be updating the guestrooms very soon and we hope that you will come back to visit us again and allow us to improve your impression of Rancho Las Palmas. Please contact our Guest Experience Department if there is anything we can do to assist you in the future.
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

twice we have stayed,last year and this year.Both times we had a blast,thats why we came back..planning on another trip at the end of summer.My kids feel safe there and love Splashtopia..Our rooms each time were perfectly clean(i own my own cleaning bus,so im picky) and had a private patio,where my kids could run around on the golf course.Just walking around in the evening,with the lake and fountain and the ducks is so relaxing.Great food,local rest n shops are good..nicest hotel weve been too in a long time..

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 22, 2010
Dear 121232171,
Thank you for posting your review! We’re happy to hear that our housekeeping department met your expectations in your guestroom and that you were able to relax here at Rancho. We hope to see you again at the end of the summer!
los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

First let me say we saw locals trying to sneak into the pool area. Consider when reading the reviews (all of which I read before going to this place) some reviews may have been left by angry high school kids who got kicked out. I read the negative reviews so I'd be prepared for the worst. I also read the positive so I would benefit from tips :) Upon entering the place I was expecting the worst and wow was I surprised!!! I was hopeful it would be wonderful and that's why I went, but this place exceeded my expectations by far!!! Of course when they are at full capacity it was crowded, duh.... But the staff was exceptional on every occasion. There were small bumps in our trip, but they handled everything perfectly. AND we ended up staying longer since we were having so much fun. Nothing is perfect, but with the right attitude anything can be fun. Honestly, a few things went wrong where I could see someone blowing it way out of proportion, but they staff did everything they could to fix things so it's not even worth mentioning. We were upgraded upon entry because they had room and we had a double-stroller (no elevators so we needed ground floor). David at the front desk was funny and helpful in every single way. The restaurant delivered our special orders perfectly. There was one black out for 1 hour and the restaurant apologized and paid for meal. The pool was perfect. There was always cold water, ice & towels ready and available. The one time they ran out of towels a girl RAN to get more. People constantly offered to help me carry towels, water, my bags around the pool. By the end of the stay the staff knew my name:) The lifeguards were helpful and professional while taking care of themselves by drinking water all day. Our room was wonderful (not perfect, but they made it perfect). I wish I could write more, but I have 2 small kids who need me now. I had to take the time to write a good review after seeing the locals cause a scene and say some pretty crazy stuff. Oh and the noise, I couldn't hear the kids at the "no kids" pool. It was heaven ;) Everyone needs a break. lol Tips: search for discount & check their local costco for gift certs. :) You'll love me!

Dear losthunter,
Thank you for posting this amazing review! We’re very glad to hear that our staff was able to assist you with the situations that arose and also with trying to make your stay more enjoyable. It’s nice to hear that David provided your family with great service; we will be sure to let him know! We hope that you’ll be able to come back and visit again soon, the Costco cards will be available through the rest of the summer! ;)
Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!