“Like an Apartment Complex” 1 of 5 stars

20% Off Your 2-Night Stay
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Southern California
“Like an Apartment Complex”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2006

It is very deceiving to drive up to this resort as it looks luxurious and beautiful as you drive up. Then you pay a lot of money to basically end up staying in what looks like an apartment complex. The hotel web site pictures of the pool are deceiving in that the pool also looks like an apartment pool and is only 3-1/2 deep all the way around. Didn't check out the other, smaller "quiet" pool as we had kids. The one slide that it has drops off into a small circular pool just slightly bigger than a jacuzzi. The complex is so large it's not like you are even near the luxurious front lobby and you have to drive to your room. There are $5.99 bottles of water in your room and they make sure you want it by not putting any vending machines in your buildings-even though there deceptively are signs that say "vending machines". I discovered this at night when I was thirsty and only found an ice machine there. The tiny refrigerator in the room wasn't cold enough. The room/bathroom were just very average. For the price we paid we could have had an ocean view room so we were severely disappointed with our stay. We felt duped-we drove hours only to stay in an apartment! Nothing about our stay felt "luxurious". How does this place get 5 stars-except maybe its lobby area.

• Liked — The Lobby
  • Disliked — The accommodations are apartment-like
  • Tips/Secrets — Not worth the price
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Santa Clara, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2006

I recently attended a conference at this hotel. I read the reviews on this site prior to booking my stay at the group rate, but I still booked my room since I figured I wouldn't be in it too much anyway.

The staff was very friendly at check-in and seemed to be trying to accommodate a last minute visitor even though the hotel was fully booked. Check in was quick and painless. Although there were a few attendants hanging out in front of the hotel to greet people, no one asked if I needed any help with my bags. It was easy to find my room (drove to it - about half a mile away). When I walked in I was immediately hit with a strong musty odor, but I figured that it would go away after I aired the room out. I flipped some lights on and noticed that the carpet was completely covered with large red, yellow, and black stains. One part of the carpet even had a stain/burn in the shape of an iron. The room was near the pool (no pool view, but the waterslide was just above my head), so I figured that it had hosted several families with small children. The carpet was so bad that I didn't feel comfortable taking my shoes off.

I called the front desk and explained the situation. They offered to move me to a different room, but the current room paired with the other bad reviews on this site made me decide to just move to the Residence Inn. The manager waived the $75 early check-out charge and apologized. He also mentioned that they were in the midst of renovating and that they intended for the property to be much nicer come next year.

No complaints about the conference facilities or service. Staff was very nice and everything seemed to go off without a hitch.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — carpet
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
Walnut, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2006

Warm greetings by valet and reception desk, and ice cold lemon water in the lobby. Nice spacious nd clean rooms, comfy bed. The only drawback would be that the resort is so big that you have to drive your car to find your room and it is quite a hike to the pool areas. I thought it was a good value. Note there is a $20.00 per day resort fee for the daily paper, internet access and access to the spa/exercise room.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
OC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2006

Resort is definitely not accomodating & service is terrible. A few things to consider, you have to drive out to find the building to your room (there are at least approx 31 bldgs and 450 rooms). Hope for no rain when you check in - unfortunately, we had tropical weather with rain creepin at us that day. The map the front desk provided to find our room did not have room numbers listed on it - just squares and circles drawn. Front desk just drew out where are room "might" be at. SOME of the rooms face the parking lot - so if you are lucky you'll find it as you drive around - however MOST of the rooms are faced inward toward the golf courses and that is when you gotta get down and walk around and find your room. Turned out our room was inward, so we had to get down and find it....we got lost & soaked in the rain trying to find our room.
Ice & vending machines are not available in every building. Our room did not have any information where the closest one was for us to get. I called front desk, housekeeping & the operator --- none of them knew where the ice/vending machine was at near my room. So I asked to have room service send me ice.....well, I never got it and found the machines 2 buildings away from my room.
On Saturday and Sunday the cocktail/food attendants stop serving at the Adult pool at 3pm, however they have the attendants serving at the family pools until the evenings. Is that a joke or what!!!
With all the disappointments with our first stay at this resort, the only thing that we enjoyed was the room. Very very spacious with goose-down comforters & pillows, robes, mini-bar, mini-fridge & the view of the golf courses. Also the resort is walking distance & across from The River that consists of several restaurants (Babes my favorite), shops & the movie theatre.
However, when I vacation in Rancho Mirage for the summer - I prefer exceptional, accomodating service & to relax, enjoy, eat & drink by the pool until sunset. Since this resort did not meet my expectations - I would NEVER come back & if you are smart enough, you wouldn't dare to give this place a try.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
san diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2006

We have stayed here as a family of four for roughly ten years in a row. Long enough that we have made the transition from family pool(pre Tortuga Island) to adult pool. This was our first stay since Mariott sold the property and it falls in the mid range (critcism-wise) of some of the previous reviewers. We noticed the difference before entering the lobby to check in, no bellboy/doorman outside. As we checked in; little differences became apparent (missed the lemonade/ice water station by the front desk). Previous posters referenced the "dormitory" type rooms. If that's the case; I went to the wrong college. Had a problem one night with our next door neighbors (sounded like frat boy and sorority girl partying hearty on daddy's credit card) but that could certainly happen anywhere. Did not notice any difference in staff friendliness/professionalism or attitude. We've got a sinking feeling that this might be the last year of "affordable" stays here; as they propose spending of 30 million in renovations, doubt that there will be "bargain" room rates after that expenditure. Rancho Las Palmas-it's been good to know ya.

• Stayed August 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Yucaipa, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2006

My niece and nephew came to visit from Arizona last weekend and, being the fun aunt that I am, I wanted to make their visit memorable. So, in order to escape the heat, we decided to go to the desert. Okay, I know; that makes no sense, but there it is.

Since our pool isn’t done and the kids can’t play out back with the giant hole full of steel bars and the front yard full of trucks, our goal was to go somewhere that had a pool. I did a google search for “palm springs hotel waterslide” and found Rancho Las Palmas, a hotel that sounded promising.

I called and got a fairly good rate for a “pool side” room. I told our neighbors what we were doing and they called the hotel, escaping from their non-existent pool as well.

I will fully admit that one of my biggest problems is optimism. I envision a best-case scenario with every plan and then cling to that vision like Rose clung greedily to the floating door while Jack slowly died of hypothermia at the end of Titanic. My plans, however, never end as well as her story did.

In my mind’s eye, the room was bright and spacious with French doors that opened onto a private lanai. From there, it was a few short steps to the cool, refreshing pool surrounded my trees providing ample shade.

The children, in my vision, skipped along holding hands to the waterslide while I sat with my husband and our neighbors, laughing at tasteful yet clever jokes, sipping drinks with umbrellas. In my vision, I wore a big floppy hat and Jackie O. sunglasses.

Here’s what actually happened: we drove out there in the early afternoon while the kids fought like cats in a bag in the back seat. Both my husband and I watched my car’s outside temperature gauge climb. “116, 120, 124,” I’d announce. Then, for some unknown reason, I started rooting for 130. “C’mon 130! Only 128? Just 2 to go! C’mon 130, I know you can do it!”

We arrived still just two degrees short of the Hotter than the Sun mark, checked in and went to our room. “Pool side,” it turns out, means somewhere near the pool, not actually ‘aside’ the pool, as one would assume. We were in a building that was next to a building that was next to the pool.

Our room was on the second floor overlooking a tree that overlooked a golf course. I quickly revised my ‘stepping out to the pool’ picture and replaced it with all of us tramping down the stairs with the cooler.

Once at the pool, the kids raced to the waterslide not holding hands but not fighting and my husband dove into the pool. “How’s the pool?” I asked when he got back to our chairs.

“Like bath water,” he said. “But it feels good once you get out.”

I stood in the fountain area that had various spouts of water coming out of the ground for one to cool off. This spot needs a warning sign like, "Danger: Acid Water. Will Burn Eyes For At Least 45 Minutes After You Dry Off. You May Wish You Could Gouge Your Eyes Out After Leaving This Area," or something to that effect.

Our friends emerged on a balcony directly over the pool and waved jauntily to us. “How did they get such a good room?” I hissed to my husband as I rubbed my eyes. He told me to go call and see if they could move us.

After being on hold for over 20 minutes, I was told that my building was considered pool side and that the only room left had a king size bed. Sleep with three kids or look at a tree. I picked the tree.

We spent the rest of the time at the pool discussing how hot it was. For dinner, we spent forty-five minutes driving to a restaurant my husband was sure was just past the next light. Finally, we turned around and ate at a café near the hotel.

The crowning moment of the trip was at five o’clock in the morning when hotel security pounded on our door and told us to keep it down. Being sound asleep, I was surprised when our door was opened and we were scolded. “Are you with the people next door?” the security guard yelled through the chained door.

“No! We’re sleeping!” I yelled back.

He shut the door without apologizing and went back to pounding on the door next to ours.

Apparently they had been playing their radio too loudly - although I didn't notice until the security guard started screaming at them to turn it down.

To top it all off, we were charged $233 instead of the $149 room rate we were given over the phone before leaving. We did have two drinks pool side, so we are left to assume that each one must have cost $42. And we didn't even get a little umbrella.

The good thing about a trip like this, it made our hole full of rebar look a lot more attractive.

Stayed June 2006
Portland, OR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2006

We too have stayed at this property 3 times and have loved it, but this past stay was marred by many complications with the new management. There was no communication between the spa and the front desk, so when we checked in for our spa package, they charged us even though it was included in the price of the room. Many good long time Marriott employees are gone and so the morale there was very bad. We so love the location adn the tranquility of the hotel, but after going through the transition from the Ritz to the Lodge a few years back and seeing that disaster, we are apprehensive as to what is going to happen at the RLP. Still a great place, and maybe it is just a matter of waiting for the dust to settle.

One of the most fabulous things about this place is that the kids pool area is VERY far from where the adult pool is. It's fabulous! No having to deal with Marco Polo and cannonballs while you are trying to relax. I hope KSL doesn't make it too pricey! Seems as if all they are interested in is making a buck - it's a bunch of investors not really interested in the hotel business is my feeling.

• Liked — Spa pool
  • Disliked — New management and employees
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!