“Rip off” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 8 hotels in Rancho Mirage
nyc
“Rip off”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We went here for a weekend get away and came away disapointed and feeling ripped off. Items appear on bill that are supposed to be included, rooms are overpriced, we stayed in a lower unit and could hear kids running back and forth upstairs all night. We upgraded and were told the room was 600 a night, resort failed to credit us the money we prepaid and charged us 600 a night and refused to modify. The pool bungalows are expensive but the only way to go as the rest of the pool area is small and cramped. As the day goes on the pool&desk gets dirty and no one cleans up. Bottom line is you pay top dollar and get mediocrity in exchange. I gave it 2 stars as the breakfast place was good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

1,419 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Temecula, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We were at the Rancho Las Palmas over the weekend and loved it. It is a large property, well kept up, with a water park for kids (and adults), several heated pools and outdoor spas (some adult only), a very nice spa, an up to date and large gym, fire pits, fountains that form a nice ambiance, etc. The rooms are scattered throughout the property so you have to drive to unload your luggage in front of your room building. The central lobby, shops, spa, restaurant, etc. are close. The room we were in (2115) had a view of the green path of the golf course, two spacious rooms, a double sink bath with separate tub and shower. They had a coffee maker supplied daily with tea and coffees and sent us a nice set of dried fruits from the valley. The golf course looked beautiful. We don't play golf but enjoyed seeing the lakes, fountains, birds and nice landscaping. Breakfast on Sunday provided a full buffet. We got a package to include some percentage off on the spa and breakfast.

The spa treatments were great. I had a massage. There is an outdoor heated pool for the spa area only, coed, and jacuzzi spas, steam, sauna in the separate locker areas.

This is a really nice resort. We loved it.

Room Tip: Our room 2115 was behind a stairway but it did not obstruct the view. The view was on the other side...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Glendale, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed here last September with my boyfriend and his parents who were visiting from England. Our stay at Ranchos Las Palmas came right after an amazing trip to Vegas and I think that our expectations were high. In particular, the resort we stayed in in Vegas ( Tahiti Village) had and amazing pool with a lazy river. I knew that Rancho Las Palmas had a Lazy River and I had high expectations for a weekend relaxing by the pool.

We arrived on a Friday afternoon and it took over 45 minutes to check in. It was busy, but the check in desk was also a disorganized, understaffed mess.

We had two rooms facing the golf course. We all enjoyed the rooms. They were in a quiet location, spacious and will nice amenities. I enjoyed sitting out on the balcony with the golf course view. The beds were super comfy and the bath tub nice and big.

We headed down to the pool complex late in the afternoon only to find that the lazy river was closing for the evening and everyone was being herded over to the main pool, which has late hours.

To be fair, the resort was under going construction an the adult pool was closed, however it looked as if they moved every single lounge chair over to the main pool, making it difficult to relax, as you were practically touching your neighbor. I can't imagine that anyone would pay for a cabana, as they were not in the least bit private, with lounge chairs cramming in their entrances. The pool was jammed and loud music (not commercial free) was blaring over the speakers. If we had been given a pool view room, we would have asked to move.

We were so completely disappointed with the pool, that we left after fifteen minutes and cut our two night stay, a day short. It was better to go home and use our own pool. I think the worst of it, is that they have the audacity to charge for wrist bands and you are forced to pay. I know that it's part of the resort fee, but it's exorbitant here and you are made to feel that the pool warrants the high fee. It doesn't.

If I could get a good deal on the room only, leaving the pool out of the picture, I might stay here again.

We enjoyed the breakfast buffet at blue ember. It wouldn't have been worth the asking price, but since it was included in the package, it was a good deal.

The location is pretty good, across from a nice mall with a movie theater and decent restaurant selection. It's walking distance, as long as you're not trying to attempt it during the heat of the day.

Please check out my blog for pictures and further musings from our desert vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for a golf course view, far away from the pool!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bermuda Dunes, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I am a local who has the spa membership at Rancho Las Palmas. I just got off the phone with a billing issue that I was discussing with the manager for the second time. The first time they said they would credit the charge that they mistakenly charged me. This time they are not sure. This is my second problem with the billing at this resort. The first time was with a food charge at the pool. I signed a slip for $20 but my credit card showed they charged me $50. The accounting department said they couldn't do anything about it. DO NOT give this resort your credit card. Who knows how much you will be charged! Check all charges carefully, but if you find a mistake don't count on them fixing it.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Love, love this resort! We have spent MLK weekend here and we love the splashtopia pool & lazy river. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms were great! We arrived around 8am & the staff made sure that my room will be ready as soon as possible. They called me at 11am to let me know my room was ready. Our room (1900) has a golf course view, which is better than pool view due to the pool noise.We were also glad that they allowed our dog in the room. They do charge $100/day if you have a dog 50lbs or less. (quite expensive!) I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Ground floors are good if you have dogs for easy access outside. Upper floors is accessible bt stair...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great family resort. The pool, lazy river and slides are geat fun for kids who can swim. Daily and nightly activities for the kids keep them busy. Comfortable rooms that can handle 2 adults and 2 children. Staff was friendly and accomodative. Close proximity to plaza accross the street with lots of restaurants and shops. Great for a 2 or 3 day getaway. Worth the rates charged.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Everything about our stay was excellent. Starting right at check-in, the attentiveness of the staff was extra-ordinary, and that continued throughout our stay. Unlike other reviewers, our room was in excellent condition. (We were in the 1000 building, right next to the main entrance to the pool.) The lazy river/pool area was a blast for the kids! This too was well maintained, and well staffed. I am not familiar with other properties in this area, but I would DEFINITELY return to Rancho Las Palmas. A 10!

Room Tip: Our room in 1000 building was conveniently close to the pool. Our room was in excellent condition.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!