“Nice Rooms, Horrible Pool” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
3rd Night Free
Ranked #3 of 8 hotels in Rancho Mirage
Glendale, California
“Nice Rooms, Horrible Pool”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed here last September with my boyfriend and his parents who were visiting from England. Our stay at Ranchos Las Palmas came right after an amazing trip to Vegas and I think that our expectations were high. In particular, the resort we stayed in in Vegas ( Tahiti Village) had and amazing pool with a lazy river. I knew that Rancho Las Palmas had a Lazy River and I had high expectations for a weekend relaxing by the pool.

We arrived on a Friday afternoon and it took over 45 minutes to check in. It was busy, but the check in desk was also a disorganized, understaffed mess.

We had two rooms facing the golf course. We all enjoyed the rooms. They were in a quiet location, spacious and will nice amenities. I enjoyed sitting out on the balcony with the golf course view. The beds were super comfy and the bath tub nice and big.

We headed down to the pool complex late in the afternoon only to find that the lazy river was closing for the evening and everyone was being herded over to the main pool, which has late hours.

To be fair, the resort was under going construction an the adult pool was closed, however it looked as if they moved every single lounge chair over to the main pool, making it difficult to relax, as you were practically touching your neighbor. I can't imagine that anyone would pay for a cabana, as they were not in the least bit private, with lounge chairs cramming in their entrances. The pool was jammed and loud music (not commercial free) was blaring over the speakers. If we had been given a pool view room, we would have asked to move.

We were so completely disappointed with the pool, that we left after fifteen minutes and cut our two night stay, a day short. It was better to go home and use our own pool. I think the worst of it, is that they have the audacity to charge for wrist bands and you are forced to pay. I know that it's part of the resort fee, but it's exorbitant here and you are made to feel that the pool warrants the high fee. It doesn't.

If I could get a good deal on the room only, leaving the pool out of the picture, I might stay here again.

We enjoyed the breakfast buffet at blue ember. It wouldn't have been worth the asking price, but since it was included in the package, it was a good deal.

The location is pretty good, across from a nice mall with a movie theater and decent restaurant selection. It's walking distance, as long as you're not trying to attempt it during the heat of the day.

Please check out my blog for pictures and further musings from our desert vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for a golf course view, far away from the pool!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

1,379 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Bermuda Dunes, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I am a local who has the spa membership at Rancho Las Palmas. I just got off the phone with a billing issue that I was discussing with the manager for the second time. The first time they said they would credit the charge that they mistakenly charged me. This time they are not sure. This is my second problem with the billing at this resort. The first time was with a food charge at the pool. I signed a slip for $20 but my credit card showed they charged me $50. The accounting department said they couldn't do anything about it. DO NOT give this resort your credit card. Who knows how much you will be charged! Check all charges carefully, but if you find a mistake don't count on them fixing it.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Love, love this resort! We have spent MLK weekend here and we love the splashtopia pool & lazy river. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms were great! We arrived around 8am & the staff made sure that my room will be ready as soon as possible. They called me at 11am to let me know my room was ready. Our room (1900) has a golf course view, which is better than pool view due to the pool noise.We were also glad that they allowed our dog in the room. They do charge $100/day if you have a dog 50lbs or less. (quite expensive!) I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Ground floors are good if you have dogs for easy access outside. Upper floors is accessible bt stair...
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great family resort. The pool, lazy river and slides are geat fun for kids who can swim. Daily and nightly activities for the kids keep them busy. Comfortable rooms that can handle 2 adults and 2 children. Staff was friendly and accomodative. Close proximity to plaza accross the street with lots of restaurants and shops. Great for a 2 or 3 day getaway. Worth the rates charged.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Everything about our stay was excellent. Starting right at check-in, the attentiveness of the staff was extra-ordinary, and that continued throughout our stay. Unlike other reviewers, our room was in excellent condition. (We were in the 1000 building, right next to the main entrance to the pool.) The lazy river/pool area was a blast for the kids! This too was well maintained, and well staffed. I am not familiar with other properties in this area, but I would DEFINITELY return to Rancho Las Palmas. A 10!

Room Tip: Our room in 1000 building was conveniently close to the pool. Our room was in excellent condition.
Alberta, CANADA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We booked a room at this resort for 5 nights to just hang out in the area and relax. I decided to upgrade to a lake view room, because it's always nice to have a view. I would have to say that the view was the best part of our room. The room was in need of a renovation in a big way. The carpets looked old and not all that clean (they likely were, they just didn't look it), there were broken floor tiles in the bathroom which made noise each time you walked in there (we called the front desk when we got there to make sure they knew we hadn't caused them to break) and overall the room was not up to par. I would have to say that I was disappointed - I believe that the room rates as a 3 star, at the most. HOWEVER, the property itself is just lovely. We thoroughly enjoyed having buffet breakfast on their beautiful terrace, overlooking the gorgeous views of the golf course and mountains every morning. The food was very good, although I would have to say that our evening meal at the Blu Ember restaurant one night was just "good" and we thought, overpriced. I will admit that I like the finer things, and that may be why I was disappointed in our room, but I will say that every staff member that we encountered were courteous, friendly and warm. The weather wasn't quite warm enough to use the river/pool with our daughter, but we tried it anyway and shivered. I'm certain that on a nice hot day, it would be fantastic with the splash park, water slide etc. I did do one treatment at the spa, and it too felt a little bit neglected. I must say though, that I liked that I could get a Starbucks right on the property. I would stay again as my expectations are a bit lower now than they were when we arrived. I understand that with the recession etc., renovations are not affordable for most. Given that, they are doing the best they can, and who can ask for more?

Room Tip: Expect the room to be more of a 3 star, and you won't be disappointed
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We took advantage of the MLK holiday and took our two daughters (11, 8) to Rancho Las Palmas for 3 days. The kids had a great time in the pool and the lazy river. They enjoyed the slides and the fun. My wife and I enjoyed it all with them as the whole family had a ball. I think we spent 3-4 hours/day in the river. The weather was excellent.

We enjoyed the food service by the pool and breakfast at the Blue Ember. Both offered exceptional service. The staff at the Blue Ember were exceptional given that we had to wait a bit for breakfast one morning (understandable given the holiday weekend and full hotel). The resort also has a great cafe if you want a quick bite or snack.

Every staff member we met was most pleasant and helpful. The staff are 5 star.

I would rate the hotel room quality somewhere between 3-4 stars, but the overall experience is definitely 5. We didn't play golf or tennis so I can't comment on those facilites.

My wife and kids visited the hotel in the summer of 2012 and mentioned that there were considerable improvements made since then. Overall, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Room Tip: We were in 1211, first floor, very near the pool family area. Surprisingly quiet and most convenient...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!