“Great first impressions ~ The rest. . "eh, we are good enough."” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
20% Off 2-Night Stay
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Texas, Australia
“Great first impressions ~ The rest. . "eh, we are good enough."”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Unlike a previous poster it was the Valet/Doorman/Bellman service that impressed us the most! As soon as our cab came to a stop we were engulfed with helping hands, from opening doors and offering the gracious hand out of the vehicle to assisting with our luggage. It was quite chilly and after checking in with the very pleasant front desk we were shown to our room in their new vehicle and not the normal breezy golf cart. The room assigned was nice but it was not what we had requested. No problem, our driver/bellman was on the phone with the front desk and we were directly shown to our new room. Then we were driven back to the front to pick up our new room keys and have dinner. As our door was opened we were told to please let them know when we were ready as they would be happy to again drive us. We went to the hotel's noted Blue-Amber restaurant. Where no we didn't have reservations but if we had known it would have been easily remedied on our arrival, if acknowledged. Instead we stood there and listened to two gentlemen, presumably the chef and restaurant manager, chatting. Apparently we were invisible. The young hostess was there, then not, then there taking reservations (for only minutes away), taking direction from the chatters, finally asked if we had been helped. We had not, after another few minutes she escorted us half way to a table that had setting for one. We returned to the front and waited again. We did sit at the same table that she originally had planned to seat us, a small table for two. Nothing special about the table. Once seated I could see no reason for the delay as all tables were open with the exception of the tables on either side of ours. On one side there was a table for two with one person the other had eight. We ordered cocktails and my husband ordered their fillet. I ordered two appetizers for my dinner. The hummus was excellent but what ever they do to the pita it is served with delineates it. My second order was tapas, which apparently here translates to mini tacos and they were worthless. The steak was good and cooked as requested. It was nice to see a someone from this establishment check on the gentleman next to us to make sure he enjoyed his visit at the restaurant. Apparently they are only concerned if you own one of their condos or belong to their discount club, but they are the only game in town unless you leave the facility. The same indifference rang throughout with the exception of the gift shop where at least the sales clerk was helpful.

The design of the hotel is lovely with nice touches like the fire pits and the grounds are beautifully kept. The rooms are large as well as the bathroom. The bed was nice and we slept well. The use of the little cotton robes were nice idea but like so many other little things there that were wrong, broken, missing, it had a cigarette burn hole in it and it was the one the one with the little sign on it explaining they would be happy to charge me 68 dollars should I chose to take it as a souvenir. I thought this profound as they seem to want to charge you for what they once had. I doubt this is the best hotel in the area but I am sure it doesn't matter between the water park and the golf course I am sure they stay booked.

The service needs to balance. Either the rest of the hotel staff need to follow the service of the Valet/Bellmen or, they need to be just as indifferent because after setting the bar and receiving great service I found the remainder of my stay a bit of a disappointment.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Bakersfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here twice for business meetings. I would give the location higher stars but it is in the desert and if you don't like heat avoid area during the summer. The rooms are very comfortable +++. Plush bedding. Even the carpeting is nice. My room both times was right off the golf course. They have nice pools (1 is adult only). The resturant is a little pricey but they do have a grill by the pool and a Starbucks coffee shop. Plenty of places outside to eat plus a casino a few miles away. I love the spa got a massage and facial (what a wonderful way to pamper yourself). The staff was excellent. I will stay here again if i get a chance.

• Stayed April 2011
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

My wife and I spent 3 nights at the resort last week. This is a first rate tennis location but the room accomodations and service fall short. The tennis facility, which is managed by Peter Burwash, International, has staff and pros who were accomodating and professional in their approach. This facility hosts one of the 2 major junion programs in the country.

We didn't have children with us but the water slide and pool area would be an attraction for children. The 3 different 9 hole golf courses on site are nice but not as good as the facilities at the PGA courses, for example.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Tujunga, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

We just got back from Rancho Las Palmas after spending a toasty 99-degree weekend. How much do I like this resort? A lot. I've gone here twice. More on this later. How can I tell this isn't a 5 star resort? Let's count the ways: I noticed the same empty cups, lids, straws, empty bottles, wristbands, hairbands etc. strewn around the edge of the pool on Sunday that were there Saturday afternoon; someone needs to do a walkthrough first thing in the morning and pick up the trash, it sets a bad tone for the whole day. Restaurant is merely good, not exciting or what I would call delicious. Food arrived cold and overcooked, service slow and they forgot to bring condiments or ask if we needed any. Wait staff in the restaurant were glorified busboys, they tried very hard, were excruciatingly polite and adhered to script but there were those subtle details that told you they didn't "study" to be in the hospitality industry. One of the lady waiters was overwight, sloppy and had kind of a surly vibe as she scuffed by - the type that doesn't look you in the eye, and looked like she wanted to spit in yours. This resort is right across the street from The River, which has some very nice restaurant choices, so you won't starve. In the room itself, we found a noticeable coating of dust on the snack tray, on the bottles as well as the snack packages; they were wrinkly and looked like they'd been handled multiple times by various people instead of having a fresh appearance. These were presented with a bent/water-damaged menu stuck in the side - these menus should be replaced, it looks kind of tacky. Also the soap dishes are chipping paint (a lot), which looks sort of cheap considering the overall quality the resort wants to project. Toilets flush kind of slow - also, the handles seem loose, about to break off. These are not quality fixtures. Another guest told me his toilet handle actually did break off. Time to replace these? Also the sliding glass doors were badly streaked so maybe they need to clean those early in the morning before the heat dries the window cleaner solution too quickly. The room was very nice overall but these little details left the impression things weren't too clean, even if they were. Other dislikes: plastic granite instead of real granite in bathrooms. Pool extremely crowded with kids even in the height of summer. Rooms a little on the small side, considering the cost and pretensions as a world-class resort. Walls are thin, we were treated to squalling babies and some of your heavier guests thundering across the floor upstairs. We compensated by turning up a very impressive 42" TV. We like our TV. The Tennessee/UCLA game looked extremely colorful. :) Staff is okay but again the housekeepers don't look too well-vetted -I realize housekeepers aren't required to be fashion models or have a advanced degrees, but you could tell they didn't look very far to hire these folks. All this being said: this is still a great destination, it's very attractive in design; I'd go back in a heartbeat for the swell lazy river and water slides and overall delicious, relaxed feel of the grounds. I prefer the (cheaper) golf course rooms nearest the gate since the back door / patio overlooks a deep gully (valley?) which is the end of the golf course, just as it turns back into the dry river it was built from. So it has a kind of natural-desert-meets-green grass feel, a nice place to hang out and read under the trees. They are offering a $100 resort credit right now for Autumn stays (the rates just went up so you're not saving much.) I haven't stayed in the pricier rooms so I can't speak to those - I'd take an upgrade instead of the resort credit if it were offered. A huge, huge plus: you can park right in front of your hotel room. Even at the fancy-schmancy Hyatt Grand Champions you have to walk half a mile from the parking lot and you almost croak from the heat. Be sure to check your rate when you leave by the way, someone entered my package wrong at the front end and I almost paid for two breakfasts that were supposed to be included.
*** Update. At the end of my last stay, the desk clerk "couldn't find" my reservation and proceeded to charge me the rack rate, not what I booked in advance. He kept repeating "I can't give you that rate" over and over, and demanded I produce the confirmation number. The person he said was the manager was standing right next to him and neither of them were looking at me. As I stood there perspiring and arguing, with tears in my eyes because I was about to miss my flight, I couldn't believe I was getting the shakedown at the front desk like I was a criminal, in front of all the other guests. Since I couldn't locate the number I was forced to pay an extra $120, until weeks later after I found the general manager and had them escalate the problem. This really, really ruined the weekend. After being such a loyal customer, and bringing other customers, a shred of courtesy would have been nice.

Room Tip: I wouldn't advise the poolside rooms unless you have kids and like noise - but then again all th...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Roseville, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

One of the best hotels in the area. I love the Spanish Colonial feel of this property ~ it's warm, inviting and makes one feel very comfortable upon arrival. Iced lemon or orange water in the lobby is another nice touch for travelers. Greeted by a very hospitable reservations clerk started our visit off pleasantly. Our room in the 100 building overlooked the lake and was located between the spa and golf course, across from the adult pool which was perfectly positioned to take advantage of this great property. When asked by the front desk if we were traveling with children, I thought what an odd thing to ask, but in retrospect, it made perfect sense when I saw the placement of our room which was located AWAY from Splashtopia.

Splashtopia is the hotels mini water park complete with 2 waterslides, a faux beach, water guns, pop up sprinklers and a meandering "river" to lazily float on tubes. If you are traveling with children, this area would be a definite highlight!

Settled in and explored... the hotel offers a gift shop that is rather high end, but has a stock of beautiful items. Wonderful area in the lobby beside the fireplace to curl up with a good book, or head to the Palms Cafe for Starbucks coffee. Palms Cafe offers snacks, breakfast and lunch items with great outdoor dining for those that would like to take advantage of the sunshine while looking out over the "tranquility" (adult) pool and golf course surrounded by numerous types of flowers. Best surprise of the Palms Cafe was the computer stations.

Rancho Las Palmas is serious about it's gardening upkeep, small areas of water and flowers. The grounds are immaculate with benches dotted here and there throughout the landscape, the water fountains offer a sparkling backdrop and the abundant flower beds perfume the air as one walks by. Very visually pleasing.

Spent the last two hours of the day at the spa. Robes were VERY plush, lockers quite clean and the amenities were great; heated pool for spa guests was tranquil with cascading fountains to help block out resort noise, hot tub inside was a little too warm for me, but didn't seem to bother the other two guests who were indulging. The two saunas, one steam and one dry were perfect temps, numerous bathrooms and showers for privacy with the usual amenities found in an upper end spa. I could spend a day here with no problem if it wasn't for the money issue - like most spas in the desert region, they are pricey.

Ordered a night cap from "R" Bar and then joined a group around the outdoor fire bowl. The firebowl is surrounded by boulders big enough to use as foot rests and seating is offered in very comfortable rocking chairs with thick padding. An attendant came out several times during the evening and offered blankets for those that needed them ~ very nice touch! A jazz combo was playing in the restaurant and you could hear the music which provided a great backdrop to the night. Surrounded by tiki torches, enjoying the warmth of the fire, engaging in conversations with people and star gazing it was a perfect way to end the evening,

A very comfortable bed and a good nights sleep were all we needed to start the next day off in a great frame of mind. Decided we would indulge ourselves with breakfast at Blue Ember. Served by a very attentive waiter, had the breakfast wrap and hubby had the eggs benedict.... both were delicious!

Rancho Las Palmas offered a great escape and my only complaint was we couldn't stay longer.....

Room Tip: Try the Desert Heat drink in the "R" bar. So very good!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Port Coquitlam, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Two days prior to arriving I confirmed our room type and location. The person I talked to said everything was in order. When we arrived at the resort I went to the front desk to check in. I was told we had a lovely room overlooking the lake. I then stated that I had booked and confirmed a room on the second floor overlooking the children's pool area. The young man at the front desk then told me that the children's pool and the rooms surrounding the pool were closed. I then told him the only reason I had booked this resort was for the pool area because of my son. There was no proper explanation for the reason the pool was closed, they just stated the room they placed us in was the only one available. It was far from the main hotel area and the adult pool (which was now open to the children). The front desk staff were not very polite. Another lady at the front desk then stated they could move us to The Westin Mission Hills. We went to this hotel and were impressed not only with the service we received but the pools and grounds were beautiful. We decided to move hotels with the help of Westjet Vacations. I would not book this hotel again due to the lack of service we received and as others have stated in their reviews, the type of room and the price you pay are not worth staying at this resort.

Room Tip: Very little selection on room types, especially if you are traveling with your children.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Dear Karen L,
Thank you for posting your review. We’re very sorry to hear that the service you received here was not satisfactory and that the family pool was closed very suddenly for repairs. Please know that your review has been sent to our management team for review and use in training. We hope to be able to welcome you back for a truly enjoyable stay in the future.
Sincerely, Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

The room was well appointed and had a beautiful view of the golf course, main hotel buildings and the mountains beyond. The restaurants were quite nice, and the food very good. We played tennis each day - world class tennis facilities. The golf course is nice, though not in the least challenging and maintained a bit like a municipal track, and the starter was a bit hurried and rude. The main pool area was very nice, though became crowded and noisy as the weekend approach and families arrived en mass from LA. All in all, as very pleasant stay, attentive, friendly staff and beautiful surroundings. We would certainly return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the pond and main building. That way you will be closer to everything...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear JosRadGlobal,
Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor! We very glad to hear that you enjoyed many activities here at Rancho, especially tennis. We’re sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the golf course as much as the tennis facility but please know that we recently hired a new superintendant so the course will only be improving! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Sincerely, Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!