“Very Trendy and Sustainable Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Resort Credit & More
Ranked #1 of 8 hotels in Rancho Mirage
Irvine, California
“Very Trendy and Sustainable Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This place holds the basic standards of the Ritz. We enjoyed our one night stay and wished we could have enjoyed the pampering a bit longer. It's definitely worth staying two nights so that you can enjoy the spa, because it is their highlight. The hotel is very new and they only have one restaurant open. State Fare serves up dishes using local produce and vendors, so the food is as natural as possible. However, it doesn't offer much variety, so once the steak house opens up, there will be more options. This is not your usual Palm Springs party hotel, but it does have an adult pool that serves drinks and has a DJ. The hotel is actually very kid friendly, which was nice for us. In terms of room selection, I would pass on the view rooms and go for a patio room. You can enjoy sitting in your patio and enjoy the grounds. The view didn't appeal to me much.

Room Tip: Patio rooms are all on the first floor. Some Patio rooms have fire pits, but then the sitting area...

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
San Clemente, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Since it's opening in mid-May 2014, I have stayed there twice. My first visit was pleasant, but rusty. There were still a lot of "kinks" that needed working out, but I gave them a break since they had only been open for 2 weeks (still really not an excuse for the Ritz though). I booked another stay for this month (August). I have to say. I was extremely disappointed. Lets start with the positives:
1. Room rate. Summer Indulgence package is very nice.
2. Loved my room. Great location and what I requested.
3. Guest services gave me a very generous late check-out.
4. Housekeeping was very nice and accommodating.

Now for the not so positives:
1. Guest Services upon check-in was not what I expected. The gentleman checking me in made me feel as though I wasn't "good enough" to stay with the resort. I provided a debt card at check in and he told me that I probably didn't want to give that to him since they were going to take $1000 IMMEDIATELY out of my account. WHAT????? Oh yes ma'am, we charge $250 a day for incidentals in addition to your total room rate. I'm sorry, I don't use a credit card and $1000 out of my account for 2 nights is completely ridiculous in my opinion.
2. The valet parking attendants wanted me to "tell" them what to get out of my car and then wanted me to promptly leave and go to my room. I went back out on a "notion" to check what they had loaded on the cart and it was completely wrong. Then it took almost 45 minutes to get the cart to my room. Again, way too long and unacceptable.
1. Pool service was absolutely unacceptable. We checked in on a Sunday and stayed through Tuesday. The were NOT busy. However, the lackluster attention that awarded to me and my party (yes, I had 4 rooms booked there) was nothing more than what I was expect from a 3 or 4 star resort. The amenities were not the same as when they opened. I couldn't get pool side service to save my soul....and when I did get it, it was wrong. I special ordered a dish for my son and you would have thought I was at a family restaurant where they didn't want to provide "substitutions"....all the while listening to the pool guy tell patrons that they go "above and beyond" to please their guests. Not.
2. Refrigerator coil in room was frozen.
3. Safe in room did not work (I had problems with it the first time I stayed in that room as well).

I will say that Guest Services sent people out fairly promptly to resolve the issues in the room so that was a plus....but I would think by now those kinks would be worked out.

I won't go into detail on the issue that the other people that stayed with me had because I'm tired of typing. Needless-to-say, I don't think I will be returning anytime soon. I gave this place 2 visits and think that will be my limit.

I'm heading out next week and I'll be staying at the Hyatt Grand Champions.

Room Tip: Rooms on the bottom floor facing the pool has very nice patios with fire pits. They also have miste...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Doug W, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Shari G,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. I want to take this opportunity to apologize for not meeting your expectations on this visit, or your last visit. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak to you in more detail about your experience. My direct line is 760-202-2161. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Doug Watson
Goochland, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Great choice for a getaway in the desert. The staff was as expected, wonderful. Ritz just remodeled and reopened this a few months ago and still putting the finishing touches in place for the high season but it was still a great experience. Food, service, rooms....all excellent !!
The only item that i experienced that needed smoothing out was the online car ordering and checkout. Still has some bugs but that is a minor item. My wife and I had a wonderful time. Worth every penny.

Room Tip: Get room with mountain views !!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Laguna Niguel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Stayed for the weekend with wife and two kids. Overall was a decent experience. We did consider the place recently opened so not everything would be perfect. We're experienced travelers (and Ritz Platinum), so we don't get worked up over small issues, but this place has a little work to do. The few issues that came up were resolved satisfactorily or better. Hopefully, next time there won't be any need for remedy.

The staff is generally good, although service level is inconsistent. Some staff are exceptional, some not. Ongoing training and experience will likely resolve this.

I do agree with some of the comments on here that the property wasn't designed to capitalize on the incredible views. The property is also more plain than I would've expected - it's about what you would expect for a conference-focused hotel. They could've used a designer with a little more flair. Maybe for the next refurb. The location of the hotel is awesome. It seems a little cooler up on the bluff, and you don't get the wind other areas of palm desert experience.

As you would expect with a brand new property, it's not completely built out. As you drive in, there is (tasteful) plywood fencing on part of the property, presumably for future growth. There is also only one restaurant open. We saw another restaurant, which appears ready, but is not quite opened yet. At Street Fare - I would recommend the risotto.

As for service, we experienced a frustrating service breakdown at the pool. We shouldn't have to wait 45 minutes before going to find a server ourselves. They apologized, but nothing really got better. We ended up walking up and getting our own drinks etc. The hotel is not that big, so even on a "busy" summer day, this kind of waiting shouldn't happen. They know their occupancy, so "busy" shouldn't be an excuse.

We also had a specific issue with housekeeping. It was an innocent accident on their part, and they did resolve it very well. Aside from that, housekeeping made the bed and made the room generally clean. Nothing special beyond that. They might want to work some special touches in - this is not a Courtyard.

One other lesser issue involves reaching out to guests prior to their stay. We almost invariably get a personalized email in advance of our family's stay at any Ritz or Four Seasons. We received nothing from Ritz Rancho Mirage. We eventually contacted them to discuss in-room needs (i.e. crib), and to schedule kids club, make restaurant reservations, and etc. Even then, they seemed a little unorganized and frazzled. If a single guest is scheduled for a conference, probably nothing needed in advance. But if it's a family/leisure reservation, planning is essential.

We go to the desert frequently, and have historically stayed at Renaissance Esmeralda or JW Marriott. It's all about the pool experience for us, and jockeying for a lounge chair is not for us. So, we're very glad this Ritz opened. We will be back, but hope these kinks get worked out in the meantime.

Room Tip: Rooms facing east get morning sun and are shielded from afternoon heat.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The hotel recently reopened after an extended closing. The hotel, rooms and staff are all very nice. The gym is great (not a lot of free weights but a lot of decent, new machines and tons of cardio). The grounds are also pretty solid but not terrific - they have a kids club with some cool activities for when its hot (pool table, foosball, etc) but it isn't available for general guests and the kids club is quite expensive. Pool is nice but more a sunbather pool rather than an experience for the kids. Biggest complaint/areas for improvement are: 1) more stuff to do for families in the evening... once you hit sun down there isn't much to do with the kiddos - would be great if they had some more lit areas or access to kids club facilities. 2) the pillows were super uncomfortable (if you prefer a hard pillow bring your own... even their rubber pillows were super soft).

Lastly, the hotel is also a little farther afield from activities (it is well outside Rancho Mirage proper and doesn't have much around it). Make sure you rent a car.

Still a really nice place.

Room Tip: When you check in ask for a room with a patio that includes the misters and patio furniture... not e...
Clovis, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I have been lovers of the California desert for many years, especially enjoying the relaxing atmosphere, the warm weather, the beautiful golf courses, not to mention the Indian casinos. Our fondest memories were those times we spent at The Ritz Carlton. When they closed for renovations, we were sad.

BUT, the wait was worth it. The new property is over the top. The room upgrades are amazing; the beautiful patio rooms with your own fire pits, the privacy, the ambiance and most of all, the accommodating staff .

Hats off to the Ritz. It's spectacular. Can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Linda,

Thank you for your kind words. We are also thrilled to be back in Rancho Mirage! I am very happy to hear that you and your husband enjoyed our resort.

Thank you for being our guests and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Warmest regards,
Doug Watson
Rancho Mirage, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Been to the Ritz bar three times now twice with friends and once just my wife and me. The new Ritz looks so different. It's modern with clean lines. No dark wood, no 19th century art work. The staff are great. But a $20 burger in the bar? Yeah it good but $20? Drinkwise the prices are higher than anywhere else. It generally take a lot to shock me but I ordered a double Chopin vodka on the rocks -- wow. Two shots of liquor- apparently 1 ounce shots -$33! Really? You'll think twice about having that second drink. Walked around the premises which only recently reopened after being closed over 7 years. Place looks great. They are supposed to be opening there fine dinning restaurant in November that overlooks the valley. I'm sure it will be great.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage? Share your experiences!