“It was wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Hong Kong
“It was wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

Note the difference between the Villas and the Resort. The Villas are located to the side of the Resort, and it is mostly for customers with extended stay.

Pros
+ Their very helpful Concierge Desk - they give you a welcome gift bag that has all of what Palm Springs/Rancho Mirage has to offer - they do try to push the timeshare aspect of the hotel though
+ Large condo (Each condo is one floor only, so I won't exactly call them villas). There are three types of villa - I stayed at the Premium one. It was large, with a sofa queen bed, kitchen, washing machine, dryer, sink, kitchen, individual barbeque pitt, outdoor seating.. just like a home
+ Shuttle service to hotel other locations
+ Great scenery - ponds, lakes, trees, grass.. everything .. very relaxing. As with many ponds in Palm Springs, lots of duck and bids around.. very interesting and adds some life around the villa
+ Wonderful pool - with a very private and enclosed jacuzzi and water slide
+ The restaurant on site is pretty good, though opening hours are quite limited
+ Parking right outside your villa! Extremely convienent and user friendly. No long walks to the lobby to catch the valet or whatever
+ I would recommend staying in first floor over second floor, because there are no elevators, and you can walk right outside to the garden

Cons
- Worn down - it just needs some touch up in the room, such as the telephones and the sofa
- Water pressure in bathroom very weak, and water is leaking
- Limited restaurant on-site (and limited opening hours for those)
- Housekeeping that I don't think speak English (I asked for some toilet roll, but they literally just stared blankly at me, and did not respond to me if she understood or not. It just made me awkward, so I called the Housekeeping desk instead)
- Check out time of 10am too early
- Pools are quite small

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

I can't tell you how please I have been with my experience here. I stayed in a villa, which really is a one level apartment, overlooking the Pete Dye golf course. The villa had a kitchenette, a large bathroom, a nice sized bedroom (with the Heavenly Bed), and a living area which included a couch, comfortable chair, TV, DVD player and Bose stereo. There was also a very nice table of four between the living area and the kitchenette. Everything was perfectly clean and the maid service appeared everyday to freshen things up.

The grounds are well maintained and manicured, and the staff accomodating and friendly. The golf course looked to be in great shape for this type of year; and the services at the spa were plentiful. I enjoyed a massage. They had a variety of massage types (I had the Hawaiian Lomi Lomi) which was very nice. And there were golf cart shuttles to take you to wherever you wanted to go (the resort is quite large - it is 1 1/2 miles from east to west).

There were 3 pool areas that I knew of. There was a "quiet" pool at the far end of the resort ("quiet", as I understood it, was code for "no kids"). Although the pool areas where kids were allowed, at this time of year, were not out of control by any means.

If there was one thing I would criticize the resort for is the limited number of food choices. Don't get me wrong, the food was very very good; however the selection on the menu was relatively limited.

Overall, this was a great stay. A quiet stay. And a warm stay (day time temperatures averaged about 100 degrees - Mid-May). I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Sammamish, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2009

The Villas are an excellent choice for families. The premium rooms include a full kitchen, dining room table, TV seating area and a separate bedroom, jacuzzi, shower and bathroom. We were traveling with our one year old and this was critical since she was going to bed before the rest of us. The grounds of the hotel are excellent and the pools, while busy, were well maintained and seating seemed to always be available if you looked hard enough. The staff was extremely nice and helpful.

There were a few downsides:

* The cleanliness of the room left much to be desired. We found crackers behind our nightstand and other food items scattered throughout the room.

* The high chair they sent up had clearly not been cleaned in a long time. It was fairly disgusting.

* Even though we requested a crib months in advance, when we finally got one they had no sheets for it. There was some story about how all the sheets were in the laundry and wouldn't be back for days. It didn't sound right and I still don't fully understand it.

* The parking situation kind of stinks. They should assign parking spots. We came back often to find no parking anywhere near our room.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
San Ramon, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

Just returned from a 3 night stay, over the Easter weekend, at Westin Mission Hills Villas. I am a Starwood Vacation Owner (at another property) and was able to book a one bedroom villa, 90 days in advance, using my Star Options.

From what I understand, it was sold out over Easter/Spring Break. The resort was filled with familes with kids and they had a great Easter Egg hunt on the grounds for the kids, with Easter Bunny, and lots of activities to keep everyone happy. The resort was very busy.

Since I have been here before, I requested a second floor unit in bldg 39. I like this bldg because close to the pool, has a "lagoon view" and the covered parking is literally just steps from the bldg. Actually, I like bldgs 40, 39 and 38, all are close to the main pool and very handy for parking. I like being on the second floor, but if you have kids, you'll probably want a first floor unit, as the kids can run around the "lagoon" area and you can sit on the patio and watch and relax.

Next time, I might opt for the "golf course view" (bldg 30-33) but the parking is not close, so its not convienent if you have to haul in groceries and lots of luggage, etc, although they will assist with luggage and groceries, but I think it is handy to be located near the car. I have a map of the resort that I can send you, just let me know your email address.

The villas are in a gated facility and located on the Pete Dye golf course. The Gary Player Signature course is just down the road. Golf is the main attraction of the area. They reseed in Oct, so not sure if the courses are open then.

The weather in April is perfect, in the high 70's and 80's. I've also visited in October and this is also ideal time of the year. The average temperature is in the triple digits in the months of June, July, August and September, so it is considered low season and the rates very reasonable.

Since I was solo and this was a short stay, I booked the small one bedroom unit. I was not happy with the size as it is only 585 sq ft (it seemed very crowded and cramp) and I am use to the premium one bedroom at 980 sq ft. It was too small and it would be like going from business class to coach on an airplane ( world of difference). I have the floorplans of the units, if you want me to send to you ( just let me know your email address).

Other than being tiny, it was ok. It had a kitchenette with full refrigerator, microwave, mini dishwasher, stove, coffee maker (with Starbucks coffee), toaster, blender and dinnerware. Small dining table in the living area, with TV (not flat panel), DVD, Bose Wave stereo.

The unit is decorated with subtle colors in the Westin tradition and has Heavenly Bed and Bath, tub/shower combo, granite counters in both the kitchen and bath, and washer/dryer. Private balcony with table/chairs. Additional bbq grill/picnic area is out on the lagoon.

Room amenites include Westin bath toiletries, plush robes, and start up supply of dish soap, laundry soap/fabric softener, dishwasher soap, paper towels, coffee and tea. Laundry/dry cleaning service and in room dining is available. Additional supplies at nominal fee. In room safe and free internet.

Resort amenities include, Westin WORKOUT, arcade, Westin Cactus Kids Club (age 4-12) , DVD rental kiosk, ATM and numerous daily activities for both adults and kids. Adult activities include Golf Clinic, Lunch cooking demo at Roy's, Bartending 101, yoga class and power walk or run. Kids activities include crafts, water slide race and Nintendo Wii tournament. Some activities have a fee. Farmer's market in the lobby on Monday mornings. Newly added, is the Business Center, with 2 computers open 7 am - 9 pm (no charge). If you need to print a Board Pass pass 9 pm, you have to go to the hotel lobby.

The main villa pool has a separate 155 ft waterslide, toddler wading pool, jacuzzi and in the main pool, there is volleyball net and basketball hoop. Around the pool is ping pong, pool table, private cabanas for rent and pool rental kiosk (floaty toys, sunscreen, sunglasses, etc).

There is another East Villa Pool that is less crowded and smaller venue. The grounds are very lush, green and well maintain.

I think that the adult only pool and hotel pools are available to the villa guests, but didnt find out cuz the villa pool is better anyways. I know the lighted tennis courts and the Reed Anderson Tennis School/Clinic is available to the villa guests.

Your Welcome Package will contain among other things, a coupon for 20% off facial or massage (Mon-Fri) at the Spa at the hotel. The Spa is nice and well priced ($135 for 60 min. deep tissue massage before coupon). It has a indoor lounge area and small separate shaded outdoor lounge area with jacuzzi. Kelli Olofson at the concierge desk is very helpful and friendly.

On a previous visit, I ate at the Bella Vista restaurant at the hotel because it was late and I didnt want to drive anywhere. The restaurant is expensive and while there were alot of entrees to choose from the appetizer and soup/salad menu was lacking. I would not recommend eating at the restaurant, as there are tons of other dining choices nearby. This time, I had a good salad from the pool menu and would order it again.

Ask the concierge for a coupon for Free Lobster California Roll at Roy's ( Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine). Roy's is across from The River complex at Hwy 111 and Bob Hope Dr. Here you will also find PF Chang, Cheesecake Factory, movie theatre, shops and across the street is one of my budget friendly favorites, Mimi's Cafe. You'll also get a visitor savings pass 11% for Macy's.

There is a upscale Pavillions grocery store on Bob Hope Dr. at Gerald Ford Dr. so you can stock up your kitchen and there is a Walgreens literally adjacent to the villas. If you have a big family, Costco, is close as is Trader Joe's and Target.

If you like high end shopping, El Paseo Avenue is called the "Rodeo Dr" of the desert. I was amazed to see the new Gucci store near St John and coming soon, Bottega Veneta and Burberry. Down the street is The Gardens which includes,Saks Fifth Ave, Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic and Pottery Barn. Kelli gave me a coupon for Tommy Bahama restaurant.

The best bet for shopping is nearby Desert Hills Premium Outlet in Cabazon. It is worth the 20-25 minute drive. Here you have all the high end outlets stores and everything else! I like Dior, Prada (Space), Gucci, TSE, Armani, YSL, Burberry, Bottega Veneta and Max Mara (most outlet prices are 30-70% off). The best time to go to the Outlet is during a holiday, as most of the stores will have an additional savings.

The Westin Mission Hills Resort and Spa (hotel property) is located next door, newly renovated. There is a "golf cart path" that connects the two facilities and they provide golf cart shuttle service between the facilities. There is a Lamont gift shop off the lobby for misc items. As a Starwood owner, I can get promo packages for stay at the Westin hotel for Friends, so send me a message if you are interested. I believe it is 4 days/3 nights for $349. and includes $100. resort credit and additional $75 credit if you arrive on Sun-Mon.

Any issues that might arise, the "Service Express" will handle for you. This is a Starwood Vaction Ownership property and they will "encourage" you to participate in the timeshare presentation featuring the nearby Westin Desert Willow Villas. It seems to be a fantastic new property opening in 2010 and it is pre-construction pricing with awesome incentives. I look forward to my next visit, probably at Labor Day!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Tracy, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2009

Using our Interval Int'l membership, we had a 1bdrm place w/ full kitchen, patio w/ bbq. Our family of 4, included 19 and 8 yr sons and my mom. We were very comfortable.

We stayed the 1st week of June, so the schools in So. Cal were not out yet. Therefore, we beat the crowd. We were able to enjoy the pools, waterslide, and even golf (with hats & lots of sunscreen). The kids club is great..the attendants there were extremely nice. My son had a great time there...they have Wii.

They have great tennis courts, inside and outside workout areas. With water, apples and towels at each site.

With the exception of carpet that required cleaning...the only concern would be parking. You have to hope for a space close to your room. There are golf cart type taxis to assist carrying items. So, just remember..once you park it..it's no longer a concern.

What's really nice here..that some resorts lack in the dessert...lots of green space and trees between the villa bldgs. Creates lots of shaded areas.

Markets and shopping are close. Casino down the street. Outlet shopping (I don't think it's worth the drive) about 20 mins away.

Enjoy.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

We stayed in a premium villa for three nights in April. As a frequent business traveler, I have sufficient experience to say that this hotel is in a class of its own for poor service.

The most significant problem was when we returned to the room after a full day out to find that the front door to the room was open. When I called the front desk, the employee who answered the phone was not at all concerned that our room had been open all day, but instead asked me "what do you want *ME* to do about it?" Not exactly comforting. Maintenance came to the room and told us that the door lock was broken and that this happens all the time at that hotel because the housekeepers use the locks to prop open the doors while they're cleaning the rooms and the constant banging of the locks against the door jamb breaks the lock. He said that he would return with lubricant to try to fix it, but that that probably wouldn't work. He never returned.

Our front door being left open was only one of many problems we had during our stay. For example, each day housekeeping would leave us without any large towels. We were left only with washcloths and hand towels. Each morning, we would have to call to ask that bath towels be brought to our room for each of the four people staying in our villa. On two occasions, they arrived with only one towel and we would have to ask again for three towels. On one of the occasions, when the employee brought us only one towel, he informed us that the hotel had run out of bath towels and all he could give us was small hand towels. The room also did not have a blanket for the guest bed. I requested that one be delivered at 7pm on the day we arrived, but by the time we returned to the room at 11pm, the blanket was not there. I requested one again from the front desk that night, but it never came. We stayed up for over an hour waiting for the blanket before falling asleep without it. We also were left without several other items that one would normally expect to find in a hotel room, such as toilet paper.

Also, if you don't have small children, the pool will not be enjoyable. It is completely filled with small children. Many children are not of the age they would be potty trained and every so often they ask everyone to clear out of the pool so they can . . . ahem . . . look for anything left floating. Not exactly a relaxing day at the pool.

The room itself if nice (and would be much nicer if it was equipped with the things one would expect, like towels and toilet paper). The bed is very comfortable and the room has a large patio with a bar-b-que. The two stars is for the quality of the room.

If the hotel could work on their fairly significant service issues, this would be a decent place to stay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Portland, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

My husband and I spent 5 nights in a 1 bedroom villa with our 16-month old son. Upon our arrival we were a little disappointed by the grounds - they weren't nearly as luxurious as the Westin we visited a few months ago in Maui. (The grounds were very well maintained, just less grand than the Westin Kaanapali). However, we were quickly won over by our spectacular room and the family-friendly environment. Our room was very spacious with plenty of room for our son to explore. The staff promptly delivered a clean crib and high chair at no additional charge. We had a 2nd floor room with a large patio that included a table and 4 chairs and a gas barbeque grill. I would definitely recommend the first floor rooms for families with older children. The 1st floor rooms have sliding doors off the back onto patios that lead to green space/paths. We saw a lot of kids around the property on scooters/bikes/roller skates and the 1st floor rooms definitely provide easier access to the outdoors for older kids and their gear. However, our 2nd floor room was ideal with a toddler. The rail around our balcony was secure enough that I felt comfortable letting him roam around the balcony without worrying about his safety. The kitchen was well stocked with dishes, utensils and all basic necessities. It even had a washer and dryer which meant we could pack a little lighter than we normally would. The rooms also offer free high speed internet access - a feature we really appreciated. We used the main pool at the Villas and the pool at the Hotel & Spa. We preferred the pool at the Hotel & Spa. It was a little more difficult to find chairs there (people tend to "reserve" chairs early in the morning with towels and magazines and don't actually use them until much later in the day), but the chairs were more comfortable, and there were a casual cafe and bar within a few steps of the pool for easy access to snacks/drinks. The food we had from the cafe was relatively inexpensive and tasty.
The resort was booked completely full while we were there, yet we were always able to find a parking spot. And nearly all of the parking is covered - a nice feature in the heat. It is a large resort, but I never felt like I had to walk too far as some of the other reviewers have complained.
Overall we had no complaints about our stay. It was a great vacation and we would definitely recommend the Villas to our friends and family.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Been to Westin Mission Hills Villas? Share your experiences!