“Family Friendly & Huge Rooms!” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Free Night & $100 Credit
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Los Angeles, California
“Family Friendly & Huge Rooms!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

Came here with 5 kids under the age of 8 yrs old. Stayed in a 2 bedroom lock-off Villa. The hotel is a little older, but has been renovated. Rooms were very clean, granite countertops, and stocked kitchen. I still brought extra large mixing bowls ( theirs are small). I would bring a can opener, they have an electric one that was very difficult to use... Other than that, the room was perfect... Very spacious. After a long day of swimming, having a DVD player in the room was great to have the kids settle down before dinner.
The pool was perfect .. 3 1/2 feet deep so the kids weren't too scared and they loved the huge water slide! Will definitely return.

• Stayed June 2014
Jonathan K, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Villas, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Marian V, thank you for your great feedback about our Resort. I am so happy to read that you and your family had a great visit with us in the desert…and the pool. :) Thanks for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again at the Westin Mission Hills Resort & Villas. Cheers!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Beautiful hotel, very nice and helpful staff . Rooms are nice and clean.pool super clean and nice water Breakfast was outstanding , JOSE Luis was very patient and helpfull with our orders .
They really did care about our concerns and resolved it :)

Room Tip: choose the upper level room cause if youre on the base floor there is so much unit noise from the f...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Azadeh A, thank you for your wonderful feedback about your experience with us at the Westin Mission Hills Resort & Villas. I am so pleased to read that you had an amazing stay with us. Thank you for recognizing Jose Luis. We will share your comments and celebrate with the team. Thanks for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to serving you again in the future at the Westin. Be Well.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I have stayed in the Villas several times, most recently for a night this month. We love these Villas. I stayed with 3 kids this past visit in a Premium 1 Bedroom and we had plenty of space. We love being able to use the Villa pool and then also going over to the hotel pool for a change of scenery. We've stayed on the hotel side too and while a hotel room doesn't compare to a 1 BR villa we've enjoyed our stays there as well!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Jonathan K, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Villas, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Jill S, thank you for sharing your experience at our resort. I am so happy to read you had another great visit with us. It is great to know you continually have a great time with us in the desert. Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again at the Westin Mission Hills Resort & Villas. Cheers!
Santa Monica, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We are a family with two kids and stayed for 5 days over Father's Day weekend. The deluxe room is small for a family our size and it felt like too much furniture shoved into a little space....in addition, the housekeeping was terrible. My 5 year old had an accident one night and I put all the linens and mattress pad in a pile to be replaced. Housekeeping replaced the linens but refolded up the mattress pad...I was not happy to say the least. How hard is it to smell pee and see a yellow stain????

The Westin does redeem it self at the pool. It is was not for the pool, I would consider other places. They have alot of great activities for the kids. Yes, you do have to pay, but where do you not have to pay??? There is also the slide that my 7 year old went down at least 50 times. On the weekends, there is a music at a bongo to the track band that plays.
Best part is they do clean the pool every couple of hours. They kick everyone out of the pool for at least 20 minutes as they check clean the pool. FYI...swim diapers are complimentary!

Despite the issues with the room, I would stay again. My kids loved the lagoon outside our room and feeding the ducks in the morning and it does become a fun time for families.

Room Tip: If you have kids stay on a bottom floor. They can go out to feed the ducks in the pond/lagoon area...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Kari W, thank you for sharing your feedback about your experience with us. Please accept my apology with Housekeeping. We have followed up with our staff on the proper measures when addressing accidents like these, we have a specific protocol and I am sorry this situation occurred. I am happy to read that you and your family had a great time at our pool and activities. Thanks again for your feedback and I am confident your next visit will be renewing experience. Many thanks and Be Well.
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Upon checking in, the lobby area looked quite nice. Our room wasn't ready for a few hours (which was fine - we arrived at 11AM and check-in was 4 PM - so we understood) so we went to Palm Springs for a fabulous lunch. Once we got the call to come and get our keys, our expectations continued to dwindle. No elevator for the 2nd floor - and we had plenty of baggage and groceries to schlep....to walk up stairs that sagged under our feet and arrive at a room where 1/2 the lightbulbs were burnt out, curtains hanging off their hooks, and appliances in the kitchen that were rusty and hardly qualified as "clean".

We then headed to the pool where there were mounds of trash (empty beer cans) piled up by the palm trees and LOUD music blasting from various rooms during our walk. This left us feeling like "wow - we paid WAY too much for this place for a week"....

We then returned to our room to give our son a bath and he was excited for the jacuzzi tub. Well...1/2 the jets didn't work...not to mention when we pulled a glass out of the cabinet it was dirty.....so we ended up having to wash all the dishes we were going to use.

Overall, this is a terrifically disappointing resort. While we like the amount of room we have, we regret having spent the money to stay here. We plan to call the front desk tomorrow to see if they'll do anything about our disappointments...I expect they'll do nothing about it.

At dusk, we opened our patio door only to hear what I expect to be a college party going on - this is NOT a family resort and we will NOT be back. Ever.

The joke is on us if we actually answer the phone and sign up for one of their sales pitches. Nothing in this world could ever make me spend another cent at this place. Ever.

Room Tip: Avoid this place if you can.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Brett H, Thank you for sharing your comment about your experience. Please accept my sincere apologies for all the challenges with your stay. I will share all your comments with our team so we can evolve and deliver the renewing experience we expect. At your convenience, I would enjoy the opportunity to connect with you and offer a more personal apology, and learn more about your experience and have the opportunity to earn back your trust. Once again, thanks for your feedback and I look forward to connecting.

Jonathan Karp – Director of Operations
Jonathan.karp@westin.com
Granite Bay, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We took advantage of a promotional offer to visit at a reduced rate for four days. We added three days at a very good additional rate to make a full week. The month of May is great for relaxation because it's after Spring Break but before schools are out, so during the week the crowds were non-existent everywhere. One day we were the only people at the pool about 6:00 p.m. Likewise, we had the whole spa to ourselves at 10:00 in the morning. Following a stressful month our plan was to do nothing but relax all week. Staying at the Villas gave us full privileges at the adjacent main Westin Mission Hills Resort and Spa. They are operated separately, but together they make up a huge resort. Between the two sides we had several pools to choose from and several restaurants. A shuttle ran regularly between the Villas and Hotel sides or you could call the front desk to request a run. Although the Villas and Hotel are adjacent, the overall shape of the resort is very long and slender, so that from one end to the other is about a mile and a quarter. In 100 degree plus heat, that's a long walk.

So you must be wondering what the promotion was for. It's to preview the resort and you are invited to attend, but do not have to attend, a presentation for the Starwood Vacation Network--a timeshare. They offer you a substantial gift for your time. As timeshare presentations go, I thought it was relatively low pressure. The sales rep was a very pleasant young lady and the finance manager was also a nice lady. Somehow it worked for me compared to high-pressure male sales reps. We decided it made sense for us, so yes, we bought in at the nearby Westin Desert Willow Resort in Palm Desert. The Westin Mission Hills Villas are now sold out, but they still use it to market the Starwood Vacation Network of resorts and hotels.

Now back to the Villas. They are not new, but still well kept except for the rugs. They either need more regular shampooing, or it's time for replacement. The one bedroom suite we stayed in was well maintained and we have no complaints with housekeeping. The one apparent flaw with the unit we stayed in was the dirt and sand that blew in from the front door. This was our first visit ever to the desert area and I guess wind (sand storms) is a regular evening feature in May and for a few days out of the week, we would wake up in the morning to a dust pan full of dirt and sand that blew under the door. I would think the door could have been better sealed to keep it out. We considered this a minor inconvenience and certainly didn't let it ruin our stay. I took it as a new experience.

Having access to the entire resort and hotel gave us the option to use several pools and several restaurants. We went off reservation a few nights, but the restaurants at the resort were also very good. In addition to the main pool, there's an adult pool and at the Villas there's a more quiet pool at the far end away from the main pool. The main Villas pool had a very fun, but short water slide. I think the kids loved it, but the adults had fun with it too. There is bar service around the pool and a "drink of the day" was only $6. Specialty drinks went from about $9 to $14 for top flight margaritas. There are plenty of lounges around the pool and finding shade was not a problem.

The Resort Spa is available to all guests and you can get massages, facials, and such, but you can also just go for the steam room, jacuzzi and showers without charge. The locker rooms are very nice and there's relaxation areas with fruit and lemon water. Relaxing music is piped throughout and it creates a very serene environment. Next to the Spa are tennis courts. We don't play tennis, but they looked nice and very well kept.

One warning: when we first got to Rancho Mirage and looked for a Costco for groceries, booze, and a discount restaurant card, my iPhone highlighted the Costco in Indio 16 miles and about 20-25 minutes away. We found out from the hotel concierge that there is another Costco just down the road about 5 minutes or less from the resort but I didn't see the pin drop on my Iphone. Overall, we had a wonderful week and we will return. Not because we bought a timeshare, because you can stay anywhere in the Starwood Network, but we'll return because it's a different area and we have more of the desert to explore.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 46 off the main road, away from the parking lot, and on the golf course. It wa...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael F, thank you for sharing your great experience at our resort. I am happy to read that you took advantage of our preview package. Congratulations on becoming on owner with us and to a lifetime of vacations within our Starwood Vacation Network. I am happy to know you had a great visit. Thanks for the great feedback and we truly look forward to seeing you again at the Westin Mission Hills Resort & Villas. Safe travels and Be Well.
Long Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

First off, I would like to thank Alex Sanchez for saving this trip. I make the reservations for 5-8 families every year to the dessert. We make about 2-4 summer trips each year. Last year, we came to the Westin Mission Villas resort and all the families were in agreement that they loved this resort. I love the cabanas, the grassy areas for the kids to run at in certain parts of the property, the pool area is great for kids and for the adults to keep an eye on them.
From beginning to end, reserving this trip has been extremely difficult. The florida reservations location to call in to book a room was completely inept. I have spent 8 hours or more talking to various people on multiple calls because they kept messing up on the reservations. I booked 6 rooms and gave the names of all the rooms to be under. The person takng the initial reservation put them all under my name instead of the indiviual names. On another 1 hour call, I got an employee who actually burped in my ear, excused himself and continued to ask me random persoal questions. It ended with me asking to speak to his manager and him hanging up on me.
When we got to the facility, none of my requests were honored, even though someone at the Westin Villas front desk personally called, which I understood and was not upset about. Even when I walked into the room and saw that it was a room designated for a person with disabilities, I did not mind as much. THis room had only a small bathtub with no separate shower and no separate toilet or water closet area. I still didn't mind. What I did have a problem with was the shower. There was no water pressure and could not shower in there because it was literally a trickle or water. So That's when I called to request a new room. The front desk person said they have to have engineer come in first to look at it. So he came and turned on the water and gave me a big smile and said: I just switched the boiler!
I responded ok. He said: That's why its working better!
I looked at him like he was crazy! I aske him, is this good water pressure? He said yes. I said is this acceptable to you? He said : It could be better. I told him I wasn't happy with it. It was literally trickle. The water shot out 6 iches form the sower head. I would have to stand 6 inches from the wall. I told him that I couldn't even get enough water on my hair to lather it properly. He told me that depending on who is taking a shower in the other rooms, it affects the water pressure in my room. I told him that unless the Westin was willing to call all the rooms to tell them not to take a shower while I'm showering then we would need another room. The engineer's name was JOse, he was very respectful and told me that he will tell the front desk that I was not happy with it and to see what they could do.

After he left, I waited 30 min for a call that never came so I decided to call from desk and spoke to Kenya. She said Jose never called her but she will call him. After putting me on hold for just a few minutes, she came back and said: Jose said that there is nothing wrong with you water pressure and you can't change rooms. I responded: Jose agreed with me that it could be better. I asked her if she saw the trickle? Does she know what she's talking about? She admitted that she didn't. She told me that the rooms were full and there was no whereto put us. I asked her if the other guests checked in yet? She responded no. So I told her to get me their room and put the other people in my room, 4303. She said: How can I put those guests in your room if you say its defective? That's when I lost it!!!! I responded: How an you make me stay in a room that I can't take a shower in!!!!!!
She said its because engineering said everything was fine. I told her to call Jose, have him say it to my face that the water is fine, I told her to come down and take a look herself. I told her to call her manager at once! She made an inconvenient situation into a full blown situation!

I took pitcures of the water coming out of the shower head to bring down tothe front desk. As I was walking out of my room, leaving my husband and small children on my vacation to deal with this, to show this girl that she was completely wrong, I walked past Jose coming down in golf cart. I told him what Kenya said he reported and he denied it completely. He said that his goal is always to make the guests happy and that If I was not happy with the water pressure, they would fix it. I showed him the pictues that I took after he left of the water pressure and we both agreed that perhaps other guests in near by rooms were showering at that moment because the water pressure was nonexistant. He told me that the liine in the front lobby was superlong based due to guess checking in. I knew nothing could be done at this time, it was too late, my kids went to bed half bathed and still dirty, I was still sticky from the hot day, but it was too late to do anything.

Kenya called me an hour later, at this time if was close to 10pm, 2 hours after I reported this incident. She said her manager said it was ok to move into another room and that I can have a 50$ credit. BY this time, I was so livid that she would even treat a customer this way and to make this problem into a bigger one. All I wanted was a room where I can shower comfortably in. To offer me a $50 credit for an expensive room that had no shower was insulting. I could not sleep all night!!!

The next morning, I turned on the shower and it was worse than before. I took pictures and marched down to the front desk to show it to them. Alex Sanchez took one look at the pictures, said it was unacceptable, appologized, moved me right away and comped me 3 days of cabana use due to the inconvenience and the way that I was treated. He personally walked down to check the room himself. He called me with updates on when the room was ready, sent housekeepin down to make sure things were clean. He just made me feel like my business was valued. Because of him, I will return to this facility and hope Kenya receives proper training to deal with customer issues. Never have I been treated so poorly at a hotel. ITs too bad that I had to show proof of my sitution and that I had to spend so much time on something so simple as a working shower head. Its deplorable that The Westin would have rooms where water pressure is dependent on whether or not other guests in the building are showering at the same time or not. ITs deplorable that a front desk employee would treat a guest with such little respect in an accusatory way. I believe that she should not have said that: Engineer said it was acceptable so we can't change your room.
If a guests says the water is unacceptable, just take their word for it. Don't make them waste all of their time while on vacation trying to prove to the Westin that there is no water pressure. Being able to take a shower in your hotel room, that is not a cheap room, should be a standard and a necessity. This has to be some sort of health code violation. Kenya is a respresentative of the Hotel, therefore her interactions with guests are a reflection upon the hotel.

I was so mad that night that I immediately posted a yelp review with the pictures of the shower head. I will also write a tripadvisor review. In this day and age, I'm surprised that immediate feedback is not anticipated from paying guests.

Room Tip: Do not stay in 4303
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Elpaem2014, Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent experience. Please accept my sincere apology for the less than positive experience you and your family experienced with the reservation process, the shower and how our associate responded. We clearly could have handled this opportunity better and I am sorry this occurred. I am happy to know that Alex took swift and immediate attention to resolve this frustrating situation. Thank you for recognizing him. Please know that we care are deeply about every interaction and we have shared your feedback with all our associates to ensure we are executing brilliantly, all the time. At your convenience, I would enjoy the opportunity to connect with you to learn more about your experience as well as offer a more personal apology. If you choose to connect, it would be a pleasure to speak with you and learn more. Thank you for your feedback an Be Well.

Jonathan Karp – Director of Operations
Jonathan.karp@westin.com

Been to Westin Mission Hills Villas? Share your experiences!