“Westin Mission Hills Villas, Rancho Mirage” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Free Night & $100 Credit
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Granite Bay, CA
“Westin Mission Hills Villas, Rancho Mirage”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We took advantage of a promotional offer to visit at a reduced rate for four days. We added three days at a very good additional rate to make a full week. The month of May is great for relaxation because it's after Spring Break but before schools are out, so during the week the crowds were non-existent everywhere. One day we were the only people at the pool about 6:00 p.m. Likewise, we had the whole spa to ourselves at 10:00 in the morning. Following a stressful month our plan was to do nothing but relax all week. Staying at the Villas gave us full privileges at the adjacent main Westin Mission Hills Resort and Spa. They are operated separately, but together they make up a huge resort. Between the two sides we had several pools to choose from and several restaurants. A shuttle ran regularly between the Villas and Hotel sides or you could call the front desk to request a run. Although the Villas and Hotel are adjacent, the overall shape of the resort is very long and slender, so that from one end to the other is about a mile and a quarter. In 100 degree plus heat, that's a long walk.

So you must be wondering what the promotion was for. It's to preview the resort and you are invited to attend, but do not have to attend, a presentation for the Starwood Vacation Network--a timeshare. They offer you a substantial gift for your time. As timeshare presentations go, I thought it was relatively low pressure. The sales rep was a very pleasant young lady and the finance manager was also a nice lady. Somehow it worked for me compared to high-pressure male sales reps. We decided it made sense for us, so yes, we bought in at the nearby Westin Desert Willow Resort in Palm Desert. The Westin Mission Hills Villas are now sold out, but they still use it to market the Starwood Vacation Network of resorts and hotels.

Now back to the Villas. They are not new, but still well kept except for the rugs. They either need more regular shampooing, or it's time for replacement. The one bedroom suite we stayed in was well maintained and we have no complaints with housekeeping. The one apparent flaw with the unit we stayed in was the dirt and sand that blew in from the front door. This was our first visit ever to the desert area and I guess wind (sand storms) is a regular evening feature in May and for a few days out of the week, we would wake up in the morning to a dust pan full of dirt and sand that blew under the door. I would think the door could have been better sealed to keep it out. We considered this a minor inconvenience and certainly didn't let it ruin our stay. I took it as a new experience.

Having access to the entire resort and hotel gave us the option to use several pools and several restaurants. We went off reservation a few nights, but the restaurants at the resort were also very good. In addition to the main pool, there's an adult pool and at the Villas there's a more quiet pool at the far end away from the main pool. The main Villas pool had a very fun, but short water slide. I think the kids loved it, but the adults had fun with it too. There is bar service around the pool and a "drink of the day" was only $6. Specialty drinks went from about $9 to $14 for top flight margaritas. There are plenty of lounges around the pool and finding shade was not a problem.

The Resort Spa is available to all guests and you can get massages, facials, and such, but you can also just go for the steam room, jacuzzi and showers without charge. The locker rooms are very nice and there's relaxation areas with fruit and lemon water. Relaxing music is piped throughout and it creates a very serene environment. Next to the Spa are tennis courts. We don't play tennis, but they looked nice and very well kept.

One warning: when we first got to Rancho Mirage and looked for a Costco for groceries, booze, and a discount restaurant card, my iPhone highlighted the Costco in Indio 16 miles and about 20-25 minutes away. We found out from the hotel concierge that there is another Costco just down the road about 5 minutes or less from the resort but I didn't see the pin drop on my Iphone. Overall, we had a wonderful week and we will return. Not because we bought a timeshare, because you can stay anywhere in the Starwood Network, but we'll return because it's a different area and we have more of the desert to explore.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 46 off the main road, away from the parking lot, and on the golf course. It wa...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Jonathan K, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Villas, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Michael F, thank you for sharing your great experience at our resort. I am happy to read that you took advantage of our preview package. Congratulations on becoming on owner with us and to a lifetime of vacations within our Starwood Vacation Network. I am happy to know you had a great visit. Thanks for the great feedback and we truly look forward to seeing you again at the Westin Mission Hills Resort & Villas. Safe travels and Be Well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Long Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

First off, I would like to thank Alex Sanchez for saving this trip. I make the reservations for 5-8 families every year to the dessert. We make about 2-4 summer trips each year. Last year, we came to the Westin Mission Villas resort and all the families were in agreement that they loved this resort. I love the cabanas, the grassy areas for the kids to run at in certain parts of the property, the pool area is great for kids and for the adults to keep an eye on them.
From beginning to end, reserving this trip has been extremely difficult. The florida reservations location to call in to book a room was completely inept. I have spent 8 hours or more talking to various people on multiple calls because they kept messing up on the reservations. I booked 6 rooms and gave the names of all the rooms to be under. The person takng the initial reservation put them all under my name instead of the indiviual names. On another 1 hour call, I got an employee who actually burped in my ear, excused himself and continued to ask me random persoal questions. It ended with me asking to speak to his manager and him hanging up on me.
When we got to the facility, none of my requests were honored, even though someone at the Westin Villas front desk personally called, which I understood and was not upset about. Even when I walked into the room and saw that it was a room designated for a person with disabilities, I did not mind as much. THis room had only a small bathtub with no separate shower and no separate toilet or water closet area. I still didn't mind. What I did have a problem with was the shower. There was no water pressure and could not shower in there because it was literally a trickle or water. So That's when I called to request a new room. The front desk person said they have to have engineer come in first to look at it. So he came and turned on the water and gave me a big smile and said: I just switched the boiler!
I responded ok. He said: That's why its working better!
I looked at him like he was crazy! I aske him, is this good water pressure? He said yes. I said is this acceptable to you? He said : It could be better. I told him I wasn't happy with it. It was literally trickle. The water shot out 6 iches form the sower head. I would have to stand 6 inches from the wall. I told him that I couldn't even get enough water on my hair to lather it properly. He told me that depending on who is taking a shower in the other rooms, it affects the water pressure in my room. I told him that unless the Westin was willing to call all the rooms to tell them not to take a shower while I'm showering then we would need another room. The engineer's name was JOse, he was very respectful and told me that he will tell the front desk that I was not happy with it and to see what they could do.

After he left, I waited 30 min for a call that never came so I decided to call from desk and spoke to Kenya. She said Jose never called her but she will call him. After putting me on hold for just a few minutes, she came back and said: Jose said that there is nothing wrong with you water pressure and you can't change rooms. I responded: Jose agreed with me that it could be better. I asked her if she saw the trickle? Does she know what she's talking about? She admitted that she didn't. She told me that the rooms were full and there was no whereto put us. I asked her if the other guests checked in yet? She responded no. So I told her to get me their room and put the other people in my room, 4303. She said: How can I put those guests in your room if you say its defective? That's when I lost it!!!! I responded: How an you make me stay in a room that I can't take a shower in!!!!!!
She said its because engineering said everything was fine. I told her to call Jose, have him say it to my face that the water is fine, I told her to come down and take a look herself. I told her to call her manager at once! She made an inconvenient situation into a full blown situation!

I took pitcures of the water coming out of the shower head to bring down tothe front desk. As I was walking out of my room, leaving my husband and small children on my vacation to deal with this, to show this girl that she was completely wrong, I walked past Jose coming down in golf cart. I told him what Kenya said he reported and he denied it completely. He said that his goal is always to make the guests happy and that If I was not happy with the water pressure, they would fix it. I showed him the pictues that I took after he left of the water pressure and we both agreed that perhaps other guests in near by rooms were showering at that moment because the water pressure was nonexistant. He told me that the liine in the front lobby was superlong based due to guess checking in. I knew nothing could be done at this time, it was too late, my kids went to bed half bathed and still dirty, I was still sticky from the hot day, but it was too late to do anything.

Kenya called me an hour later, at this time if was close to 10pm, 2 hours after I reported this incident. She said her manager said it was ok to move into another room and that I can have a 50$ credit. BY this time, I was so livid that she would even treat a customer this way and to make this problem into a bigger one. All I wanted was a room where I can shower comfortably in. To offer me a $50 credit for an expensive room that had no shower was insulting. I could not sleep all night!!!

The next morning, I turned on the shower and it was worse than before. I took pictures and marched down to the front desk to show it to them. Alex Sanchez took one look at the pictures, said it was unacceptable, appologized, moved me right away and comped me 3 days of cabana use due to the inconvenience and the way that I was treated. He personally walked down to check the room himself. He called me with updates on when the room was ready, sent housekeepin down to make sure things were clean. He just made me feel like my business was valued. Because of him, I will return to this facility and hope Kenya receives proper training to deal with customer issues. Never have I been treated so poorly at a hotel. ITs too bad that I had to show proof of my sitution and that I had to spend so much time on something so simple as a working shower head. Its deplorable that The Westin would have rooms where water pressure is dependent on whether or not other guests in the building are showering at the same time or not. ITs deplorable that a front desk employee would treat a guest with such little respect in an accusatory way. I believe that she should not have said that: Engineer said it was acceptable so we can't change your room.
If a guests says the water is unacceptable, just take their word for it. Don't make them waste all of their time while on vacation trying to prove to the Westin that there is no water pressure. Being able to take a shower in your hotel room, that is not a cheap room, should be a standard and a necessity. This has to be some sort of health code violation. Kenya is a respresentative of the Hotel, therefore her interactions with guests are a reflection upon the hotel.

I was so mad that night that I immediately posted a yelp review with the pictures of the shower head. I will also write a tripadvisor review. In this day and age, I'm surprised that immediate feedback is not anticipated from paying guests.

Room Tip: Do not stay in 4303
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Elpaem2014, Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent experience. Please accept my sincere apology for the less than positive experience you and your family experienced with the reservation process, the shower and how our associate responded. We clearly could have handled this opportunity better and I am sorry this occurred. I am happy to know that Alex took swift and immediate attention to resolve this frustrating situation. Thank you for recognizing him. Please know that we care are deeply about every interaction and we have shared your feedback with all our associates to ensure we are executing brilliantly, all the time. At your convenience, I would enjoy the opportunity to connect with you to learn more about your experience as well as offer a more personal apology. If you choose to connect, it would be a pleasure to speak with you and learn more. Thank you for your feedback an Be Well.

Jonathan Karp – Director of Operations
Jonathan.karp@westin.com
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Been to the Villas a number of times as we are a timeshare owner with Starwood Corp. The Villas are great, good service, and close to theaters, restaurants, Costco w/gas station, etc. with nice views.

Room Tip: Ask for Bldg 4,5, or 6.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jonathan K, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Villas, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Kickback777, thank you for the great comments about our resort. We truly love to read when homeowners have numerous renewing & enjoyable visits. Thanks for the great feedback and we look forward to seeing you again at the Westin Mission Hills Resort & Villas. Cheers!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

This is our 4th time staying at the Villas. We arrived 10 am on Friday and our room was ready. We unloaded our gear and hit the pool. Upon our return, we attempted to wash the kids in the Jacuzzi tub. A broken pipe flooded the room. Melissa Pendleton (front office manager) promptly handled the situation and provided us with a new room. Issue was resolved. This was impressive considering the Memorial Day Weekend crowd levels.

Melissa - thank you for the prompted and exceptional customer service to resolve the issue!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
DCEIII, Thank you for sharing your experience at our resort. I am so happy to read that you had a great holiday weekend with us. Moreover, I am thrilled to read that Melissa was able to immediately respond to this unfortunate leak and promptly provide you another room. Thank you for recognizing Melissa and we will be sure to recognize her too. Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you and your family again at the Westin Mission Hills Resort & Villas. Be Well
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We cannot say enough about the special VIP anniversary treatment we received from Hugo, Crystal G. and Kelly (Manager on duty at check in). From excellent restaurant recommendations to personable vacation activities and resort recommendations, HUGO rocked! Crystal G. (Villa Front Desk) and Kelly got us set up with a villa on a very busy memorial week holiday and delivered a bottle of wine and toffee with an anniversary card signed by the entire staff on our anniversary evening just prior to our restaurant reservation for Pacifica. (Rave reviews for this restaurant too, which Hugo arranged for us.) We would definitely go back to Palm Springs and hopefully try the newer Willows property next time. Thank you for a most memorable anniversary vacation at the Westin Mission Hills Rancho Mirage, CA. David and Carol Sindelar - Kansas CIty MO

Room Tip: We upgraded to the premium 1 bedroom villa and thought it was well worth the price of the upgrade to...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
SindelarcKC, thank you or the great feedback about your experience at our resort. I am so pleased to read that our team truly made your anniversary a wonderful and memorable experience. Thank you for recognizing Hugo, Crystal, and Kelly. We simply love when the team can create indelible memories that last a lifetime. We will celebrate your comments with our team and thank you for choosing the Westin Mission Hills Resort & Villas. Cheers and congratulations on an amazing 43 years of marriage.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Britteney was the agent who help us with check in. She was so helpful, friendly and nice. She made the check in so smooth and easy. We had a great time at the hotel. The pool is fun and their breakfast was great!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Sharona Z, thank you for sharing your experience at our resort. I am so happy to read you had a great visit during your time in the desert. Thank you for recognizing Brittaney. We will share your kind comments with her and celebrate with the team for making another memorable stay. Thanks again for the feedback and we look forward to seeing you again at the Westin! Safe Travels!
So Cal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

We've stayed between the villas and the hotel here a half a dozen times in the past two years and love them both. The only issue we had at the Villas was that there was major dust in the parking lot due to high winds. This is totally understandable but when you (the resort) blow all the dirt into every seam of the vehicles with out blowing the cars off its an issue. They were blowing off the parking lot earlier. I was holding clean clothing and lifted up the trunk of my car and a ton of dirt went all over my clothing and inside the trunk. Also, the dirt/sand was blown all over the rest of the car and I couldn't even lower my windows in fear of sand going down inside and potentially causing damage to my windows and mechanisms. I went to the front desk and told the gentleman there and he said sorry and asked where is was parked. I told him and I thought maybe they would blow the car off. That didn't happen. It wouldn't be such a big deal but they still charged me the 15 bucks for parking. Oh well, we still love the resort and will continue to come here and we'll always recommend the villas and the resort to anyone. As a matter of fact, we're coming back this weekend to the resort side for memorial weekend.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Jonathan K, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Villas, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
MikeArv, thank you for sharing your feedback about your experience with us. I am happy to read you had a great time and continually enjoy the resort! Please accept my apology for the sand. I have shared your feedback with our public area team so we can better execute sand clean-up during our sand storms that occur here. Thanks again for your feedback and we truly look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Be Well.

Been to Westin Mission Hills Villas? Share your experiences!