“Beautiful Hotel at Casino Prices” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   32250 Bob Hope Drive, Rancho Mirage, CA 92270   |
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Beautiful Hotel at Casino Prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

I stayed with a group of friends at this hotel at the end of September. We were all VERY pleasantly surprised at how beautiful and affordable it was. The resort appears to be fairly new, modern, well maintained, nicely appointed, with a helpful staff. The rooms are not your typical hotel rooms, nor are the bathrooms. Bathrooms are huge, modern, include double sinks, glass-door shower stalls, huge soaking tub, flat-panel TVs, and a separate room for the toilet. The beds are very comfortable with fluffy duvets on them and a bench at the foot of the bed. Overall a wonderful room.

The pool area was also very nice. We rented a cabana on a Sunday and were shocked to find out they were a mere $95 for the entire day, until 10:00pm, including bottled waters. The nice lounge chairs are found at the cabanas--the ones with cushions. The rest of the pool area has the typical plastic loungers. The pool is very large and has an adjacent huge hottub.

Once again we were all pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food throughout the hotel. We ate at the steak house and it was wonderful. Definitely steak-house prices there but not outrageous. We ended up eating most of our breakfasts, some lunches, and a few pre-dinner snacks at the casual restaurant in the lobby called Waterscafe. Even our orders at the pool came from the cafe. The food was actually really good. We must have ordered the lettuce wraps several times during our stay! Had a $10 steak sandwich for lunch one day and was surprised to see that it was an actual tender slab of steak in it, rather than shaved beef. Prices there were very reasonable. My breakfast each morning cost me around $11 including gratuity. I usually ordered French Toast and bacon or one of their egg platters, and they ran around $8-$9.

The casino is fun and always tempting to walk through to the parking garage. Lots of open slots and tables. My only complaint as a roulette player is that there was only one table and it was not traditional roulette. You spun a wheel with cards on it. Different but still fun.

Even the gift shop in the lobby had some great finds at affordable prices. I found myself in there quite a bit. Lots of fun jewelry for around $10 and fashionable and fun handbags for $10-$40. The same goes for the shop at the Spa. Bought some cute things in there. Oh, and I have to remember to add that 4 of us had massages at the spa and all came out and commented on those massages being the best we've ever had. I just wish the spa had been open later. The only time we could fit our treatments in was at 6:00pm and the spa closed at 7:00pm so we couldn't enjoy much of the space.

To name a couple of negatives... the lobby/registration area is right across from the casino so it was super smokey--if you are not a smoker as many of us were not, it was unpleasant to stand there too long. If you are not a fan of taking elevators as I am, you will be disappointed to find out that the stairs are not accessible to guests. I purposely stay on lower floors so I can take the stairs. When I asked where they were, I was told that a security guard would have to escort me to them because they are through the kitchen and another "back of the house" area. Odd. I have never run into that before. Parking was tough to find on the Sat night we were there. Had to park all the way at the top of the garage.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Monterey, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

you'll be surprise with the quality of the rooms over at the agua caliente...rooms are clean,confortable beds,nice bathroom and very nice decor...i stayed in the regular rooms and the suite as well....the suite is just awesome,the bathroom will blow you way...lots of space and they all face west...to san jacinto mountain.....very nice views....ask for a high floor!!! all and all a great choice for the desert....oh, the water cafe is very good but if you want to spend a little more $ try the steak house: awesome, great quality and tasty steaks w/ great service...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Rooms are clean, and of ample size. Other than at check-in, most staff were friendly and helpful (props go out to the security group for recovering my lost wallet & valet parking for good customer service). An excellent experience overall. Deserving of its (AAA) Four Diamond Award status.

Room Tip: The hotel is farily new, so all rooms should be up-to-date and modern.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
FRESNO, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed here July 31st to August 1st...Sunday night ...Asked the front desk clerk for a view room...Sorry Heather replied I am unable to do that...Why I asked...No Response...The hotel was only 1/2 full...We were in the most fabulous room I have ever stayed in...HUGE...sucken in tub...beautiful room, beautiful furnishings, confy bed...But, the best part was the view of the roof and a wall directly in front of us, I was so disapointed..

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

My husband I love this quick getaway. This is our spot just for relaxing from our very busy home life. The service from the valet to check out is always great. The rooms are fabulous what more can you ask for? I think the food choices could be a little better and the slots are tight so don't even.
The pool is large as well as the jacuzzi with poolside drinks and food available for purchase.
We love it and can't wait to go back!!!! We try to make it at least 4 times a year.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Compton, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Great place, had a great time. Spent the big bux for a suite.... Almost $400 for one night.

A female friend who was in another room mentioned the staff had entered her room and stole $50 from her. Both she and I agreed "Not Cool" but at least they didn't take her credit cards, ID, camera and other valuables. She also mentioned she witnessed security staff placing their ears on room doors, and going from door to door.... Very suspicious.....

I didn't think much at first but a few hours later, they got me too. ARRRGH!!!!

While drinking with friends in the pool, I was distracted from my personal belongings. Their staff had the audacity to grab my keys and wallet from my chair, and turn them into their lost and found department, BUT NOT BEFORE TAKING APPROX $70 FROM ME.

I get very emotional in an argument when I have been done wrong, but I was having such a great time, I didn't want $70 to ruin my getaway, so I didn't complain.

If you decide to visit Agua Caliente remember to use their safe, and also hang the "do not disturb sign" 24/7 so the staff will think your room is occupied.

This type of behavior reminds me of Mexican Police: Corrupt and everyone is in on it. The pattern is also very evident: Keep it petty (don't take all the cash, and don't take high value items), as this will keep them low profile, and they can continue ripping off patrons for a long time.

Room Tip: book early
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Last weekend I flew from San Francisco to Palm Springs to meet my mom and sisters for a girls weekend away. Saturday morning we get up and lay out by the pool, enjoying the nice weather and relaxing chairs. At 12:30 all of a sudden the music turns up so loudly you cannot even hear the person next to you. Techno is blaring and a DJ has appeared poolside. I politely ask the pool manager if there is anyway the music can be turned down. He tells me no, because there is a pool party and they have rented the DJ. I'm sorry, what? A pool party? As hotel guests shouldn't we have been told about this prior? We decide to talk to the hotel manager and ask if there is any alternative. The manager tells us we could ask the spa if we could use their pool. After a frustrating converstaion with the spa manager (why couldn't the hotel manager liase with the spa manager himself?) we are told there isn't room for four people at the spa pool but they would make room if we pay $100. The hotel then refuses to compensate the $100 and offers us to lay out at their sister hotel across town. We continue to voice our frustrations that in no way we were told there would be a pool party the weekend we decided to book a room and how they needed to effectively communicate this to their hotel guests. At the end of the conversation we jokingly say - oh wait is there a pool party tomorrow too? The manager says yes - from noon until 6pm. He wouldn't even tell us this information the entire time we argued with him regarding the pool party. Thankfully we immediately checked out and stayed at the Westin down the road for the same price. I immediately felt a sense of calm the minute I stepped in the lobby. Do not waste your money or time with Agua Caliente.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa? Share your experiences!