“A Reliable, Fun & Delicious Neighborhood Place” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Seattle, Washington
“A Reliable, Fun & Delicious Neighborhood Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

In the desert, finding a restaurant that provides a simple yet lovely atmosphere, a good menu for good value, a good bar and delicious food is in high demand. Amici has made a name for itself by providing all of these things in abundance. I went there for the first time last evening with a friend who said, "Amici is one of my favorite places!". Turns out, a whole bunch of locals feel the same way. This is not the place for a 50th wedding anniversary or to impress your in-laws from Omaha. It's the antithesis of all that desert hype. It's a real, honest, non-pretentious homey yet upscale place for friends, date, partner/spouse and family where you are guaranteed a satisfying and positive dining experience. This is gay-owned but not a gay place. As with much of the desert, it's comfortably mixed and no one is treated anything but warmly. It may look like a hole in the wall from outside, but not be deterred and have a fun, relaxing and lovely culinary experience.

• Visited January 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles, California
“No Way Just Plain Awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

Last week my partner and I took a trip from dreary LA to the sunny desert. We had heard of Amici and decided to give it ago. We wish we had not. We were greeted by an over enthusiastic host (Patrick) he made sure we knew his name. In fact he was so present at our table he could have joined us. It was annoying.

The waitress was uninformed about food and wine and seemed as if she could care less if we were attended too. The food took over an hour and it was less than good it was downright awful. The salad was drowning in a salty olive oil, the pasta was so over cooked it was like glue. The staff seemed to be nervous and unfriendly. Our meal ended with a man who was inebriated stumbling around the restaurant asking how things are so far. We asked for the check and left shortly after that. What a fiasco!!!! Never again will we darken these doors nor would we recommended it to anyone looking for a fun time in Palm Springs.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“OOOUUCCHH!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

Was in Rancho Mirage over the Memorial Day weekend. Eventhough most restaurants were booked for the evening, Amici had openings for a 7:30 p.m. party of 6. That alone should have been a RED flag to stay away! The restaurant itself is very nice looking and the owners appear to have put more time into the asthetics instead of the food and service. We were seated outside patio, and immediatley I noticed a horrific smell of garbage lofting in the air. I asked the waiter and he actually turned on a large industrial sized fan that was intended for the heat ( it was over 90 degrees), or to blow away the SMELL!!! Our server informed us of the daily specials and then never came back to take our order. 25 minutes later he reappears to take our drink order , and told us he would be right back to get our food order. I ordered a soup as a starter which was ok, which was brought out immediately, but the rest of the table didn't get their appetizers for another 15 minutes...and they ordered SALAD! When our meals finally arrived IT WAS AWFUL. The steak looked and tasted like road kill, the pasta was tasteless and the seared fish ( whatever they called it) was as tough as the road kill steak. The bolognese sauce was greasy and felt as if it was place in a microwave oven and synged...AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL!!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Not Bad, Not Memorable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

My wife and I ate here looking for Italian food. She had the scampi. I had the chicken piccata. Both dishes were good. The shrimp was perfectly cooked. The prices were not bad -- $18 - $24, about what you would expect.

Service was inconsistent. The host (owner?) was busy taking care of some regulars and we felt overlooked. I know we were tourists, but he didn't.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
rancho mirage
“never again...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

My husband and I frequent the desert twice a month and always dine out. The first time we ate at Amici we really liked it. Menu is interesting and the ambiance is okay. Service staff were pleasant. The next tiem we ate there we took friends. The waitress was very difficult and somewhat rude to our guests. They had questions and took a little of her time but her attitude was not professional. Again we return a month later, and this time we had the worst experience. The waitor was so unattentive. It bcame very apparent that he was leaving the restaurant early and really didn't want serve us. We had to ask for everything from water, bread, additional glass of wine., etc. The only thing that he brought early was the check. No offer of coffee, dessert. When i held onto the check for a little while, since I was tired of being pushed, he actually came up and asked for it.
Sadly, I don't think I'll go back. An experience like that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.