“Vey Nice, Clean and Quiet!” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Porterville
Thunder Bay
“Vey Nice, Clean and Quiet!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

My wife and I spent a Friday night in this hotel and were very pleased with all aspects of our visit. The front desk staff were friendly and the check-in was quick . The room was very nicely furnished and clean. The breakfast offered a nice selection of cereals, breads, pasteries and beverages in a spacious and clean setting. A very good value. Had we been able to cancel our disappointing accomodation in nearby Springville the following night we would have returned to this hotel in an instant!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

We came to Porterville just for fun with our baby that is 1 yrs old. The bed was nice and huge and very comfortable! I love that the bathroom is all in one and very nice and spacious!!! I like having my space when I'm getting ready and I also like to be alone so it's great having the mirror and sink behind doors. As far as having a baby stay in this room, ITS GREAT!! He could just run around and there wasn't anything laying around that he could really get into. The bed was big enough for him to sleep with us. There was also a sofa in our room. The breakfast was nice and big and the lady who kept up on it was very sweet! Unless your a big Hilton/ Marriott snob but if not then you will be happy!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

I only stayed for one night so I did not get the full effect of the hotel. When I checked in, it was simple and the service was quick and friendly. I got to choose upstairs or downstairs. My room was very clean with a modern design. Very up-to-date, with marble countertops in the bathroom and the tv stand/dresser. I had a desk, coffee table with sofa, beautiful king-size bed with plush mattress and 5 plush pillows. There was plenty of lighting, the a/c was blasting when I arrived (had to turn it down a notch). The shower was nice, with marble walls and a wide shower head. Internet access was a little tricky, but I figured it out. I went through the instructions but the login & password had changed, I found a note (probably from the last guest)where two words were written and figured it was the new login and password.
At night though, there was a lot of noise in the hall around 10 pm. Maybe some bachelors, but it eventually passed.
I left early the next morning, too early to try out their breakfast. Again, check out was a breeze. I did not get to try out their pool or spa.
I felt really safe at this site and the furnishings and decor was very pleasant and up-dated. It's less than $100 and more than a motel, but definitely worth it. I paid about $90 after taxes.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Southern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2010

This place is a bit strange.
On the hotel/Best Western website it stated that it is pet-friendly, but when booking through other sites, I read that no pets were allowed.
Since we had to take an elderly dog along for an overnight family trip, I called to check on their policy. The person answering put me on hold forever before returning to tell me that small pets were indeed allowed.
Grounds seemed run down for the price/level of the hotel. Strange characters hanging out along the back side. Semi trucks were left idling for hours along a sidestreet. Checked in to find out that there was an extra fee - $35 for the pet. Not a refundable deposit (which I have encountered at other places), but a non-refundable fee. This had not been mentioned on the website or in the phone call. We paid it, freshened up after the drive from LA, and headed out. Room was spacious and clean. Beds were quite comfortable.
Upon returning in the evening, the same shady men were hanging out in the street. When we entered our building, we encountered a STRONG, skunky, slightly familiar unmistakable odor. The hall REEKED of marijuana, which seemed particularly strange, since this was supposed to be a non-smoking (tobacco) property. The smell was strong, even in our room.
In the morning, the breakfast buffet was very well-stocked. The attendant seemed to take great pride in helpfulness and keeping everything clean and fresh.
After breakfast, I found the next problem. When most hotels say they offer "free internet" it means unlimited access. Not this one. Using the username and password provided in the room, you are credited with 10 free minutes of access. TEN MINUTES of INTERNET are FREE. You need to pay if you want more than this. Bizarre.
I feel like this place misled me at every turn to get my business and will not be returning. Next time I'm in Porterville overnight, I can stay next door and splurge for breakfast at Dennys.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Gmbwport, Manager at BEST WESTERN Porterville Inn, responded to this review, April 6, 2010
Thank you for your review. We are a non smoking hotel, unfortunetly not all guests respect the nonsmoking rule. We do get violators from time to time and we do apply our fine of $250.00. Lately, people with medical marijuana authorization think that they can smoke it anywhere they please, we charge them just the same for violations. The internet service has always been no charge. To this day we have not charged any guest for the use of the internet. Should anyone that have stayed here before and see an internet charge on their folio, please contact us.
cheshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

Stayed here after a trip through Sequoia en route to Las Vegas, the staff were great although it is very much on the edge of town albeit with a Denny's and restaurant on the same premises. Being Brits we wanted a tea time drink and thought we may struggle until told about the Brickhouse to which it was an $8 one way taxi ride. We liked in in here and would reccomend for drinks or eats. We asked for some crisps or peanuts they had neither but the chef then made us some home made 'chips' fantastic service worth a visit. Back to the hotel breakfast was good continental plenty of it if you wanted.y

• Stayed October 2009
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

Went to Porterville for a wedding and stayed here. Not cheap, especially given the location, but my room was spotless, nicely appointed, bed very comfortable. The interior courtyard has beautiful landscaping and the free breakfast was nicer than I was expecting. Staff was very nice. Overall I was very pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Tollhouse
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

The room was clean and in good repair. However one annoying thing was that the room A/C seems to have a minimum temp limit pre set because the room never got "cool". Kind of annoying when it's the hottest day of the year. The OnDemand TV was a pain. For some reason it wouldn't let us order from the TV. We called the desk and he said he'd check and get back to us but never did. We had dinner and then tried again. TV said the movie was unavailable until 8:35pm (I guess only one room can watch it at a time) We tried to order it then and had the same problem as earlier. We called the desk again and they finally fixed the problem. The picture quality was horrible but we paid $13 anyway. The hallways were unbearable hot. I took the kids down to the pool about 6pm and the pool area was a mess. I realize it had been recently used, but there was no excuse for the mess there ie, crackers all over the deck, over flowing trash cans complete with dirty diapers, newspapers flying about. Aside from that the grounds were nicely manicured and clean. The free breakfast was standard and typical, but I have no complaints. There was an attendant that kept things neat and tidy. There is a Denny's right next door and several fast food places very close by.
Bottom line is a nice clean room with some minor issues.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Porterville Inn? Share your experiences!