“Steaks were great!” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Phoenix, Arizona
“Steaks were great!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We had dinner here on a Saturday night and were able to be seated right away. The service was a little slow but nothing that would keep me from returning. We did ask the server in the beginning to split the bill and that wasn't done but overall, good experience and I would return.

Porterville, California
“Finally, a GREAT place to eat in Porterville!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We arrived at the Oak Pit on a 2/28/14, Friday evening at 5:15. The dining room was filling up as we were waiting for friends. The hostess asked us if we wanted to sit in bar area, but we declined. She led us to one of the last tables available in dining room, after we requested that as our preference. The place was bright and CLEAN. The service was excellent. But my biggest surprise was the food! I ordered a petite steak and it was one of THE BEST I've ever had. I was SO surprised, as our friends had chosen to eat here, and not us. My husband enjoyed his steak as well. We ordered the cheesecake dessert to share, as the meal had filled us up. It was also delicious, and looked beautiful! Hubby said even the coffee was good (that's good since he is a Starbucks lover). We were done eating everything within an hour, which was perfect as we were headed to a 6:40 movie (and we didn't tell the waitress) . Wow! Excited to have a nice place in Porterville to eat and take guests!

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Horrible!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Waited 30 mins for service, 1 1/2 hours for our food and it came out cold and I DIDNT EVEN GET MY FOOD! Horrible service,took way too long and they kept bringing out the wrong food. Never again will I go there!!!

Porterville, California
“Bar area not for a romantic dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

The Oak Pit has reopened. Just ate there on 12/8 Sunday. The entire menu has changed. If you are looking for the old Oak Pit fare, you will not find it.

They don't have lobster or Alaskan king crab as before, but they still have prime cut steaks. Their fish choices are also slim.

We were the only diners in the building at 8pm. (They stop serving at 9!!) We had to eat in the bar because the dining area was shut down for the evening. This is one of my complaints for the evening. They have turned the bar area into a sports bar. We had ESPN playing in the background, other games being broadcasted, music being piped through the house speakers and bar patrons spread out all talking loudly with multiple F-Bombs being tossed out within earshot. If you are looking for a quiet romantic outing, avoid the bar dining area. I can see this becoming a total loss if they shut down the dining area too early. I realize that liquor equals margins but you will lose $ on the people that want a quiet romantic dinner. We dropped $135 on dinner and drinks for 2. If the dining area is closed on the next visit (we'll call first), it's back to Bakersfield or Visalia for dinner.

I had the 12oz NY and Shrimp, wife had the 6oz filet. The food came out way under temperature for only having us two the only people dining. Steaks had good flavor but my wife ordered hers med-rare and it came out med-well. My rice pilaf was room temp. Steaks would barely melt the butter topping as you can see in the photos.

All in all was meh. The waitress had excellent customer service and checked on us numerous times. (But we were the only two dining so that should have been the case to begin with).

I would suggest that they make sure their food is hot when it hits the table, keep the dining room open (it's not like it's across the street) and it would keep the drunks / gangster wannabes contained in the bar area and people like us content without having to be in that atmosphere.

One other note, most of the sides are extra $. You get one or two sides with your dinner. Anymore is extra.

$4 for 5 baby asparagus spears? Really??