“$200 a night to sleep on an air mattress.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Point Reyes Schoolhouse Compound

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Point Reyes Station
Point Reyes Schoolhouse Compound
You added Point Reyes Schoolhouse Compound to your Saves list
#11559 Scenic Coast Highway #1, Point Reyes Station, CA 94956   |
San Francisco, California
“$200 a night to sleep on an air mattress.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

The sleeping accommodations we encountered were disappointing. Upon arrival, we learned that the queen sized bed we were anticipating was NOT in this room and instead in a downstairs room, which we could acquired for an additional $150.00 a night. We looked back at the website and saw that it is not entirely clear, and clearly we misunderstood the intended explanation. A double bed is not something we would have opted for; however, it is not a ‘deal breaker’.

Our second disappointment was to realize that the double bed was not a bed, but instead was a sofa hide-a-bed. Sleeping for two nights on a double sofa hide-a-bed was not an option we would have chosen, particularly paying over $200.00 a night. Had we known it was going to be a double sofa hide-a-bed we would not have booked the room and would have gone elsewhere.

However, the most egregious part of this is when we discovered that the uncomfortable mattress on the sofa hide-a-bed was not even a sub-standard mattress, but was an air mattress! We were both extremely uncomfortable. In fact, we were so uncomfortable the first night that we took the mattress off of the frame, folded up the sofa, and put the air mattress on the floor in order to be able to get some rest the second night. Air mattresses are typically designed to be on the floor. Don't get us wrong, sleeping for two nights on an air mattress is a great option when camping, but is totally unacceptable when paying $407.00. Comically, the air mattress was disguised in a zipped up mattress covering to make it appear as if it was a real mattress.

There are limited rooms at this quaint establishment, and all are prepaid upon making the reservation, and they were filled when we were there so moving to another room was not an option. Our only option was to let the owner know of our complete and total shock that she would put paying guests on an air mattress (which we have done), and to post this comment for others to be forewarned.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Karen G, Owner at Point Reyes Schoolhouse Compound, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
What a shame these folks didn't let me know of their disgruntled state when i met them in the
gardens and inquired as to their comfort instead of assuring me that everything was just fine.
I was given no hint that they were so unhappy. They were all smiles. (I received this full page typewritten letter of fcomplaint composed after they had spent the entire weekend and arrived home,) We could have put them in another place or brought a queen bed in for them to try to make them happy - even though that is not what my website clearly states.
Complaints received long after the fact preclude any opportunity for us to respond effectively to
improve their situation. That these guests presumed that there was no alternative to their unhappiness without making inquiries at the time makes me wonder what is really going on here.
Ironically, i just received a thank you note from a family who stayed this last weekend saying that
the Barn Loft was just perfect for the two of them in the double and their little girl, who slept up in the loft. They plan to return over the summer.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Taken the family (4 & dog) there twice now. We love it! Close enough to walk into Point Reyes Station, but far enough to be completely quiet at night. Staff are friendly and helpful but not intrusive. It's a perfect jumping-off point for exploring the area. We'll be back again and again.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

My family gathered at Point Reyes Schoolhouse Compound to get ready for and celebrate our daughter's wedding, which was at the Dance Palace. The compound was a perfect place for family members to have privacy in the schoolhouse, cottage, retreat and loft, and also gather together. Also it is walking distance to town. We baked cookies for wedding favors and the bride and groom finished last minute wedding preparations as we cooked, kept the wood stove stoked, visited and celebrated. The last day we even had an outdoor brunch in the patio as the fog cleared. The Innkeeper was very gracious and everyone had a memorable time amid trees, fog and sun at our Bohemian compound.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

I came here with my family as a child and now have the pleasure of returning as an adult to spend weekends at the Schoolhouse in Pt Reyes. It's the perfect distance from the city to spend a long weekend or a quick overnight, and the location is very accessible for hiking and beaches. Plus, just a short walk to town for coffee and pastries in the morning! The accommodations themselves are quite comfortable, and I've stayed in most of the units over the years. Everything is well thought-out, but not overdone, so it feels like a very relaxing, homey place to stay. Quiet, beautiful starry nights! I can't say enough about how much I love coming here. I've recommended it to many friends who feel the same way. Even recommended it to my boss, who ended up renting the whole compound for a family reunion!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Kaslo, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

The Schoolhouse itself is lovely although it definitely could have been cleaner (lots of dust bunnies). The problem was the beds - absolutely the worst I have ever encountered in a rental unit. Some could not even qualify as beds. For instance one " bed" was a very decrepid cot. Another sagged terribly in the middle and was supported at the end by a coffee table because the bedframe was broken. One was a two-part couch that had to be held together by the sheets. We were told it would sleep 6-8 people but there was only one bed that came even close to being comfortable. We arrived late at night and found it very difficult to find our accommodation in the dark and then many of the light switches in the house were difficult to locate making our arrival a bit disconcerting. Considering the cost of renting this accommodation I cannot recommend it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Karen G, Owner at Point Reyes Schoolhouse Compound, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
We are disappointed when our Schoolhouse home does not match a guest's expectations. We make every effort to be as clear as possible on our website regarding the sleeping accomodations where we list the second bed in the children's room as a "cot". (This is a very sturdy 'Big Guy Cot' purchased from a major hunting catalog along with 2 others for our Sierra cabin). Arrivals in the country after dark can indeed be challenging. That is why our reservation confirmation reminds people to bring their directions with them in the car to be sure that they go to the right gate on the compound, and to telephone ahead during the day if they expect to arrive after dark so that we can leave extra lights on for them.
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I have had the pleasure of staying as a couple in the Barn Loft and with 4 longtime friends for a weekend getaway in Gray's Retreat this year...perfect locations for each trip's purpose. First of all, the personal, artistic touches of the proprietor, Karen, is present in her attention to detail (fresh-cut arranged flowers, local point of interest books, local art, etc.) throughout the rooms. The gardens reflect a rambling, colorful, English-style garden that thrives from time and attention - plenty of locations to sit and relax while taking in the spectacular Pt. Reyes sky. The quiet, comfort of the lodging set in the most exquisite location with stunning views and outdoor activities is further inspired by being located within a few minutes walking distance to the charming downtown (Cow Girl Creamery, Farmer's Market, etc.). A treasured spot I will return to every year.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

What a lovely time I had recently staying with Karen at the Old Pt. Reyes Schoolhouse - and I apologize for my delay in this review. I spent time in Pt, Reyes in September and October and couldn't have been more comfortable as I was at the Schoolhouse compound. It was an easy walk into town for a leasurely breakfast or dinner, the compound was quiet and comfortable and the hostess made me feel incredibly welcome. I am planning on another visit in the spring for sure!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Point Reyes Schoolhouse Compound? Share your experiences!