“Unbeatable quality!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 14 hotels in Pleasanton
Hatzic, Canada
“Unbeatable quality!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2005

Wow! That's what we said when we opened the door of our suite. This place is a quality facility. When we saw that there were workers installing carpet trim in the halls, we were questioning whether things would be OK, but the second we entered our room we knew we'd made the right choice. The bed was the most comfortable we've ever encountered in a hotel! A fully-equipped kitchen was handy. What a surprise to return from a day out to find that the dishes we'd left in the sink had been run through the dishwasher by the cleaning staff! Free laundry on the first floor, and decent breakfast choices in the breafast room...the value is great. The front desk staff exhibitted a pleasant sense of humour and were very helpful. We roamed California for a month, and this was without a doubt the nicest place we stayed in. We'll be back, I only hope it's soon!

• Stayed August 2005

111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2005

The previous review by 'business' travelers, didn't make themselves out to be the heartiest bunch... Seemed really fussy about the way the outside of the hotel looks... I spend most of my business hotel time in the room, so I really care more about the room than, well, what the outside looks like!

I love this hotel. I travel there twice a month or so for business. Yes the front desk is in a small temp location. BUT the staff has always been very friendly and been able to check me in and out very efficiently. Yes the hotel is currently under renovation and you can see workmen in the halls and pass by unfinished rooms. BUT the rooms they actually put guests into are newly finished and rival most 3 and 3.5 rooms I've been in. Full kitchen (full fridge, range, dishware, utensils, pots, only missing oven) with nice tile (no linoleum), quality throughout; desk is full size and wood (not formica), bed has quality linens (feather beds, feather pillows). Bathroom is first rate, complimentary toiletries are from Bath&Body Works.

This may not be the place for the high-maintenance, status-oriented vacation traveler, but it's the best value I've seen!

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2005

I am writing this review upon checking out. I booked this hotel for the weekend thru a discount bidding website at 2 1/2 stars for only 43 dollars. Tremendous value for what I paid for, even at the regular price. I heard the hotel was nearing renovation, but upon driving into the parking lot there was a huge sign saying "Hotel Entrance" with an arrow pointing where it was. Very convenient for people not knowing the areas of the hotel while under renovation. The lady at the front desk was very courteous. Not even mentioning the website I got my reservation from. She pointed out when the "Healthy Start Breakast" was available, and mentioned free DVD rentals if I ever got bored! When I got to my room, there were two chocolates laying beside my bed, a basket with granola bars, popcorn, water, and Starbucks coffee. High Speed internet access was free, and when I noticed there wasn't any cable hook up for my laptop provided in the room, I rang the front desk and they walked to my room to give one to me! The bed was very comfortable. This isn't your typical 2 1/2 star apt-suite hotel. I've been to places like Homestead Suites, and Extended Stay America and they are nice too, but Larkspur Landing Pleasanton clearly gave the best when it came to amenities, and freebies. Although I didn't take advantage of everything(there's a CD player in the room, DVD rentals, kitchenette, etc.), this hotel will be my favorite around the Pleasanton/Dublin area.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2005

I give my (Priceline) stay here a 4-. There were some very positive aspects, but several negative too.

Positive:
-Room was spotless, with more amenities then you'd find in a 5 star, including DVD player, CD clock radio, chocolates left at bed, Berkeley Wellness Letter, Bath and Body works toiletries and soap, granola bars, popcorn, coffee/tea, and water (none of this cost anything). The room did not feel small--it might for more than one person
-The bed itself. The bed can easily compete with the "Heavenly Bed" by Westin/W/Sheraton in comfort, definitely one of the better beds I've slept in at a hotel.
-Huge desk with high speed internet (free, again).
-OK exercise room, with a treadmill, lifestep and bike.
-Fully stocked kitchen (in terms of utensils, glasses, pots/pans, etc.), dishwasher, microwave, stove.

Negative:
-Still under construction, main reception and hallways look crappy, making one wonder what they're in store for before they get to the room
-Drywall between rooms---unfortunately this is another building where the concept of soundproofing escaped the builders. You can hear thud sounds when people above you walk, or when a door shuts down the hall, or when people walk by down the hall, or when your neighbor slams their kitchen drawers shut. This was noticeable and annnoying enough to almost make this a 3 star rating.
-Noise in room--the refrigerator and air conditioning had some funky sounds.
-No pool or jacuzzi

I'm attaching some pictures

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
Laguna Niguel, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2005

Fortunately, our stay was not remotely like the previous poster.

We were totally unfamiliar with the Larkspur Landing properties and didn’t have very high expectations. I did believe there would be free high-speed internet and a continental breakfast. We received so much more than we could have anticipated. We were thrilled with the room, amenities, price, and service. Some of things included:

•A suite with a full kitchen, including a stove top, full size refrigerator with ice maker, and dishwasher.
•Triple sheeted bed with nice linens, feather pillows, and a duvet comforter.
•Full sized desk with free high-speed internet.
•Complimentary snacks, including granola bars and microwave popcorn.
•A DVD player.
•Afternoon cookies.
•Free laundry room.
•Vending machine with frozen entrees for the microwave.
•Great continental breakfast.
•Free parking.
•Spotless room
•Very friendly/helpful employees. They greeted us every time we walked by.

This Larkspur Landing is close to the freeway, but not adjacent, so there is no freeway noise. It shares the parking lot of a Dennys – if you want more than a continental breakfast. Also, about two miles away is "Main Street" and it's very cute with several nice looking restaurants. There is also a huge mall about 1-2 miles away.

They expect the renovation to be finished at the end of July -- though that may be a little optimistic. So yes, the 'front desk' was still a temporary location. Also, as we stayed over a holiday weekend, it was very very quiet.

Although I got this reservation thru Priceline, we felt the comfort and value of the hotel was so great that we would pay to stay there in the future -- if we were passing thru Pleasanton, of course ;)

Except for having no pool, we can't think of one criticism for this hotel. Definitely recommend. Did not have a chance to view their larger rooms, but our 'studio' was very comfortable and certainly more than you get with an average hotel room.

I can't think of anywhere we have stayed that included more complimentary things.

• Stayed July 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2005

My co-workers and I stayed at this hotel while in town for PeopleSoft. We're use to the usual short stay thing...check-in, get the room, have lunch or dinner, etc. First off, we chose the hotel for the reason it was something a little different to us. We pulled up their site and thought "the pictures look nice and comfortable". Let me remind you that this was after pulling up their site specifically. We arrive at the hotel and it was nothing like the pictures. In fact, it was the complete opposite. In addition, the inside of the so-called hotel was under renovation. They did not even have a front desk! After searching around, we realized their front desk was a converted closet or something on the first floor! Again, we normally take things with a grain of salt figuring it's not a grand vacation or something, but if you're going to choose a place to stay, you would at least hope it would have a comfortable setting and it would not be deceiving as it shows from their photos.

Another thing to add: Upon speaking to the person on the phone, I said "your place looks nice. I like the look of the front of the hotel. I don't remember this place during my last trip to PeopleSoft" She replied: "Oh, we've been here. We're close to Denny's." She did not even mention the place on the picture was a photo used for the company itself and not their hotel. I mention this because if you pull up a hotel, you will see their different locations they offer. You will then be offered the choice to go directly to their site to view pictures...this was not the case.

So in the end, this place is not what it appears to be. As for the service...terrible! The only one that was nice was the person downstairs where they served a continental breakfast. He was breaking things down, cleaning up the room and asked if I was able to get anything. When I said "no", he returned with a few pieces of fruit and a couple of bagels. Other than that, the front desk had no life. No personality for being in the business they're in. To top it off, we were placed on a floor that was still under construction or something. There was dust just down the hall with uncompleted rooms showing. My friend called to have us move, they said they'll look into it and get back to us...we waited....and waited. Finally, we went downstairs to tell them directly. The front desk told us it'll be a minute as they were with a guest. The guest went on his way, the employee went into another room (which I was wondering what room as it was so small), he took forever to return, we just said to ourselves "this is it already. let's have dinner somewhere, come back, go to sleep, check out and NEVER RETURN. We began to have such a terrible headache from all of this, we ended up taking tylenol twice that evening.

In a nutshell, we don't expect a resort stay from the Courtyard Marriott, Embassy Suites, or in this case The Larkspur Inn. But it got to the point where they were so inexperienced with service and the guest that it showed without looking for it. Everytime we brought something up, they would say "oh, okay...", "let's see what we can do..." And you know what? It was all talk and no show. This place is not worth it. I've stayed in many places around Pleasanton being in the computer industry. I would recommend just using the Courtyard Marriott, Four Points Sheraton, or even the Apartment Suite-like places are nice. Save your time and money and use it on something else. We are spending this time to write such an article to give our opinion of this hotel. And although it is our opinion and we realize people will choose what they wish, the fact is...this is exactly what had happened. Nothing else.

Been to Larkspur Landing Pleasanton? Share your experiences!