“Indifferent service and over-priced food in great atmosphere” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Agave Club is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 216 Restaurants in Pleasanton
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Division Street
Description: Blue Agave Club serves freshly prepared, unique and authentic Mexican food and beverages in Pleasanton, CA. Stop by our unsurpassed patio and see what makes us one of the top dining destinations in the city! Redefining expectations with our exquisite and unique menu, we serve high-quality Mexican fare. Derived from old Garcia family recipes, we focus on combining exciting presentation with authentic and rich flavors. We have received numerous awards including being voted "Best Mexican Food" and "Best Margarita" by Pleasanton Weekly readers. Come see what the hype is all about and try one of our top quality margaritas and superb dishes like our popular Encojado or Mole Poblano. Our 145-year-old house-turned-restaurant is an ideal setting for first dates, wedding receptions, birthday parties, and more. We pride ourselves on our excellent food, above and beyond service, and being members of the Pleasanton community. Our owner and head chef Alexandro keeps a hands-on approach with all of our dishes, constantly experimenting and refining new and old dishes alike. Stop by for today for a taste of true agave flavor and authentic Mexican fare!
Walnut Creek, California
“Indifferent service and over-priced food in great atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

The setting certainly is lovely in the patio fronting the building. The tortilla chips and various salsa dips were great. And that is about it. I ordered the mole chicken for lunch at $17.95 and an ice tea. The portion was small for the price at lunch and I felt the sauce lacked zest compared to other upscale Mexican restaurants such as Guaymas. The quantity of refried black beans and rice was miniscule. The iced tea was diluted and awful. The service was indifferent and not at all friendly. I will not be back.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Susan G, Business Owner at Blue Agave Club, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
I'm terribly disappointed to hear you wouldn't return, Scott. While it's great to hear you really enjoyed the atmosphere we provide, I understand why indifferent service and a lackluster meal wouldn't leave you in a hurry to come back. We pride ourselves on first-class service and excellent food quality, and I regret that this wasn't reflected in your experience with us. It sounds as though we were off our game on the day you had lunch with us, because we normally receive plenty of compliments about our service and mole chicken in particular. I apologize that you didn't see us at our best, but I hope we might have another opportunity in the future to show you better.

Pleasanton, California
“Outdoor setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Eating in so many Mexican restaurants, this one is one of the best, specially because of their Yucatan flavor is one of the best.
Outdoor setting, with good Mexican music, especially on the weekends.
Staff very friendly, informative with good suggestions if you not sure about particular dish. They really do their best to accommodate you.
Enjoy, after some dinner and tequilas stroll through the beautiful Downtown Pleasanton

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Susan G, Business Owner at Blue Agave Club, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thanks for your compliments, Mercedes! I'm really happy to read that you enjoyed dining with us so much. Our team is made up of some really great folks, and it's so great to know that they took great care of you. I hope you'll come back and pay us another visit soon! We'd all be happy to see you.

All the best,
Walnut Creek, California, United States
“An Outdoor Dining Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

You've had Mexican food, but you've probably never realized how many varieties there are. Each region has specialty items, but the Yucatan has some of the best. BAC offers special treats from this region, and for most, it's like eating Mexican food for the first time. They begin with house-made chips and salsas (3 to try). The drinks - has to be a margarita - offer the option to try really good tequila. For some, this might be a revelation. The waiters can help you here - the flavors are quite different and you should order two and share them. Enjococada is one of the best dishes - never see it anywhere else. And any of the shrimp dishes is quite good. In fact, you can't go wrong. The platters are large, so I've never tried the desserts, but don't let that stop you. Waitstaff are great and they really cater to your needs (including extra heat lamps if the evening turns chilly).

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Susan G, Business Owner at Blue Agave Club, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Hi Denise! Thank you so much for writing up this great review! It will undoubtedly be very helpful for other readers. I'm so glad to know that you have such great things to say about our food and service, and I really appreciate you taking the time to share. I hope we'll have the pleasure of hosting you again soon.

Best wishes,
Cadillac, Michigan
“Fun Atmosphere with Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Food was good but menu items were not the typical Mexican dishes I'm used to seeing in the Detroit area (burritos/enchiladas with ground beef covered in melted cheese). Many of the menu items appeared more high end Mexican fare with shrimp / seafood ingredients. I ordered a cheese enchilada with a chicken breast. the enchilada was very good but the chicken was overcooked (dry / tough) with very little flavor. I would return again to try something else as the wait staff were very friendly and accommodating.

Visited May 2014
Pleasanton, California
“Too expensive for a Mexican restaurant!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

This restaurant has a very nice outdoor setting, but the prices are ridiculous! It is too pretentious.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Susan G, Business Owner at Blue Agave Club, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Hi Jean, I'm glad to hear you really enjoy the atmosphere we provide. However, I'm sorry to hear that our prices influence your impression of our restaurant so negatively. We use the highest quality of ingredients available and pay careful attention to preparing innovative Mexican-inspired dishes -- these standards influence our pricing. I understand how this might be a bit of a surprise if you were expecting something more like authentic Mexican street food. But I hope that you're open to giving us another chance with this information in mind! I'm confident that we can impress you.

Best wishes,