“Wonderful Historic Gold Country Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Historic Cary House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   300 Main St, Placerville, CA 95667   |
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Placerville
Concord, California
“Wonderful Historic Gold Country Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

This hotel which is more than 150 years old is wonderful! Full of historic Gold Rush antiques and history, including well-known guests such as Mark Twain and Elvis Presley. Room was small, but to be expected for hotel of this age. On a wonderful street with old fashioned candy shop, antique stores, restaurants and bars. Only problem is everything seems to close down around 6:00 p.m. except the restaurants and bars. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

130 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I have to start with how nice they are at the front desk. Personalized attention and more. That first impression is everything and they want the guest to be happy. Our room was a perfect fit for 2. We had a small refrigerator and cook top stove in the room. Just enough closet space and drawers for folded clothes.
The bathroom had a tub/shower which was provided quick hot water and served it purpose. There is a medium size flat screen TV on the dresser which gave us all the popular channels.
The Victorian feel is what really sets the Cary House apart from anything. A lot of history around the lobby to look and read about and just the overall feel sets you back in time.
The hotel is 6 minutes(driving) away from the closest winery, Boeger - followed by many more a few minutes drive.
Next door to the hotel is a wine and arts store and throughout town, all walking distance, are many more bars, restaurants and shops.
The hotel has free parking behind it. They also offer free coffee, tea and juice each morning.
We will make a return visit in September when the apples come into season.

Room Tip: #203 is at end of short hallway, with a community balcony looking over the main street.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Enjoyed a two night stay at the hotel with my wife. The service of the staff rivaled that of any 4 star hotel we have ever stayed. Staff was very friendly. Great location for the historic district in Placerville.

Room Tip: Get your ice bucket filled before the desk closes for the evening. Visit the Thomas Kinkade gallery...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Take a walk back into history - impressive lobby, 1920's elevator and period decorated bedrooms - all original - all well maintained and comfortable. Reception staff were very friendly and helpful, however the breakfast is very minimal and thankfully there were no ghostly bumps in the night!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Poolville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We spent the night in the 'haunted' Cary House Hotel in Placerville, Ca. The room we had was great - with two seperate sleeping areas and a kitchenette. My bed was great but my partner stated his bed was not very comfortable. The hotel creaks but we did not see any paranormal activity. However, the bar across the street was rocking and rolling until the wee hours of the morning. I slept through it on my comfy bed, my friend on the uncomfortable bed was kept awake. Unfortunately, we slept through their breakfast, but the hotel is located in the historic district, so we found a little coffee shop down the street. The hotel lobby is very pretty, the historic, old elevator was fun to ride in, and the location was great. Nice area for parking behind the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Plano, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

On Monday morning I went to the front desk to ask a question and was told to tone it down as I was too peppy for a Monday morning. Things went down hill from there. The breakfast room was never neat. There was sugar, cereal and drinks spilled on the tables and serving area. They ran out of cups and bowls and the staff didn't seem to care. One day after being away from the hotel for the day I entered my room to find my window open and a man standing outside my room. Other guests had access to the same balcony so now other guests had access to my room. When I expressed my concern to the staff I was told its Placerville and not to worry about it. On my final morning I asked for fruit and was told they ran out. So I told the clerk my opinion of the poor service. She yelled at me as I walked out to meet the car taking me to the airport. As quaint as the hotel is I would never stay there again. Don't waste your time or money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Lorraine-GenMgr, General Manager at Historic Cary House Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
We take all of our reviews very seriously here at the Historic Cary House Hotel, as we did yours. Let me start by saying we're very proud of the review scores our guests have given us - especially for customer service. With that said, unlike so many others, you obviously didn't enjoy your stay and we're sorry about that. It says here this is the first review you've submitted, so we're not sure how often you travel. And while it may be a mistake, it also says your visit was in April of last year. Regardless, we would strongly recommend for future trips that if you ever encounter events such as you're suggesting happened here, that you take a minute to contact the Hotel Manager directly, most preferably while you're still on site. As described, these instances would be unacceptable and completely out of character for our team. We would always appreciate the chance to know about and assess a situation like this in real time, as well as the opportunity, as needed, to directly assure you that your concerns were addressed.
Again, thank you for your input. We wish you safe travels!
Wheatland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I felt like we stepped back in time (in a good way) when we walked into the lobby to check in. It was nicely decorated and had music playing in the background. The man at the desk was very friendly.

Our room was on the small side, but it was the perfect size for our one night stay. The bed was comfortable. The pillows were a little thin, but I brought my own just in case. I am very particular when it comes to pillows.

The hotel is right in downtown Placerville so you can walk to several shops, coffee shops and restaurants. We enjoyed the Heyday Cafe which was pretty much across the street. And for breakfast we walked down the street to Sweetie Pie's. I think the hotel served a light breakfast, but we wanted to try out the restaurant.

Room Tip: We were going to book on Priceline, but then check out the hotel's website and reserved with a s...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Historic Cary House Hotel? Share your experiences!