“Very Nice Place To Stay” 5 of 5 stars

You added Historic Cary House Hotel to your Saves list
Historic Cary House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   300 Main St, Placerville, CA 95667   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Placerville
“Very Nice Place To Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Enjoyed a two night stay at the hotel with my wife. The service of the staff rivaled that of any 4 star hotel we have ever stayed. Staff was very friendly. Great location for the historic district in Placerville.

Room Tip: Get your ice bucket filled before the desk closes for the evening. Visit the Thomas Kinkade gallery...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Take a walk back into history - impressive lobby, 1920's elevator and period decorated bedrooms - all original - all well maintained and comfortable. Reception staff were very friendly and helpful, however the breakfast is very minimal and thankfully there were no ghostly bumps in the night!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Poolville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We spent the night in the 'haunted' Cary House Hotel in Placerville, Ca. The room we had was great - with two seperate sleeping areas and a kitchenette. My bed was great but my partner stated his bed was not very comfortable. The hotel creaks but we did not see any paranormal activity. However, the bar across the street was rocking and rolling until the wee hours of the morning. I slept through it on my comfy bed, my friend on the uncomfortable bed was kept awake. Unfortunately, we slept through their breakfast, but the hotel is located in the historic district, so we found a little coffee shop down the street. The hotel lobby is very pretty, the historic, old elevator was fun to ride in, and the location was great. Nice area for parking behind the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Plano, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

On Monday morning I went to the front desk to ask a question and was told to tone it down as I was too peppy for a Monday morning. Things went down hill from there. The breakfast room was never neat. There was sugar, cereal and drinks spilled on the tables and serving area. They ran out of cups and bowls and the staff didn't seem to care. One day after being away from the hotel for the day I entered my room to find my window open and a man standing outside my room. Other guests had access to the same balcony so now other guests had access to my room. When I expressed my concern to the staff I was told its Placerville and not to worry about it. On my final morning I asked for fruit and was told they ran out. So I told the clerk my opinion of the poor service. She yelled at me as I walked out to meet the car taking me to the airport. As quaint as the hotel is I would never stay there again. Don't waste your time or money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Lorraine-GenMgr, General Manager at Historic Cary House Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
We take all of our reviews very seriously here at the Historic Cary House Hotel, as we did yours. Let me start by saying we're very proud of the review scores our guests have given us - especially for customer service. With that said, unlike so many others, you obviously didn't enjoy your stay and we're sorry about that. It says here this is the first review you've submitted, so we're not sure how often you travel. And while it may be a mistake, it also says your visit was in April of last year. Regardless, we would strongly recommend for future trips that if you ever encounter events such as you're suggesting happened here, that you take a minute to contact the Hotel Manager directly, most preferably while you're still on site. As described, these instances would be unacceptable and completely out of character for our team. We would always appreciate the chance to know about and assess a situation like this in real time, as well as the opportunity, as needed, to directly assure you that your concerns were addressed.
Again, thank you for your input. We wish you safe travels!
Wheatland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I felt like we stepped back in time (in a good way) when we walked into the lobby to check in. It was nicely decorated and had music playing in the background. The man at the desk was very friendly.

Our room was on the small side, but it was the perfect size for our one night stay. The bed was comfortable. The pillows were a little thin, but I brought my own just in case. I am very particular when it comes to pillows.

The hotel is right in downtown Placerville so you can walk to several shops, coffee shops and restaurants. We enjoyed the Heyday Cafe which was pretty much across the street. And for breakfast we walked down the street to Sweetie Pie's. I think the hotel served a light breakfast, but we wanted to try out the restaurant.

Room Tip: We were going to book on Priceline, but then check out the hotel's website and reserved with a s...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Elk Grove, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

What could be better than a 150-year old historic hotel located in the heart of historic Placerville? Close to shopping, events and restaurants and a great getaway for couples or friends. The rooms are a bit outdated, but immaculately clean and very comfortable. Our 4th floor room was close to Main Street, which was close to Liar's Bench, the local drink, sing and get wild local's bar. We loved the karaoke on Friday night until 10:00, but if you don't, then book a room at the back of the hotel, as the noise of the bar and street traffic can be loud. The lobby is a good hang out spot, with lots of historical artifacts to admire, and the ancient (2nd oldest west of the Rockies) elevator was a fun ride to our 4th floor destination. We appreciatecd the book in our room that outlined local historic characters, which provided us with some insight as to the historical importance of Hangtown and the Cary House. Take time to admire the woodwork and amazing stairway. Looking forward to another stay in Placerville at the Cary House Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the backside away from Main Street arequieter as they are away from Main Street traffic. Ho...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Atwater, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

The Return! A new years eve visit to one of my favorite historical hotels. The second time around, was as interesting as the first. As a paranormal investigator, I find the Cary House to be very interesting place to conduct evp’s. The staff is fun and kind. If your ever around the area, you’ll have to try a stay in room 212. Dont forget your recorder! 5 Stars!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Historic Cary House Hotel? Share your experiences!