“Sadly, could use some TLC” 2 of 5 stars

Historic Cary House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   300 Main St, Placerville, CA 95667   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Placerville
Tucson
“Sadly, could use some TLC”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We love historic hotels, and stay at them throughout the American West. We are usually inclined to give them a break when it comes to judging modern amenities or fixtures. But I'm afraid the Cary House needs a wake-up call of its own. For the price (we paid $175 for two people in a king bed room), this is what one gets (the good and the bad):
- Very friendly and helpful staff
- Beautiful and historic lobby and fixtures
- Old carpeting throughout the upper floors that is very musty and stretched out 70s stuff
- Small rooms (not a problem except cramped with too-big furniture)
- Cheap (not historic or antique) furniture well past its prime
- Very saggy old beds and tatty sheets and spreads (ours had holes)
- Nice bath, very modern but tasteful — unfortunately dirty (mold around faucet in tub, dirt around cabinets)
- Towels of a vintage and condition I would use to clean my car

Come on Cary House! It does not take a lot to fix these problems. The Weatherford in Flagstaff, Arizona, is far less expensive and far, far nicer and cleaner.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Chico, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I grew up in the town of Placerville and was looking forward to visiting as a guest at the Cary house, but due to a family emergency could not make it. Pay attention to the ridiculous 72 hour in advance cancellation policy. Although I did call nearly that far in advance, technically I missed the deadline and the front desk person was completely unsympathetic and not at all helpful. The foreign Expedia customer service representative demonstrated more social skills than her. Finally, when I got the manager on the line, she offered me a whopping $25 discount for my "next" visit. I reminded her that with the county fair happening, I was certain she could fill the room and afford to refund my reservation in full. No Cigar. She blamed Expedia. Expedia told me it was up to the hotel. I will not stay there, and given the reviews combined with a lack of customer service, I will not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

The old town of Placerville is a nice place to visit in either summer or winter. We needed somewhere to stay while visiting family nearby, who already had guests, and decided to stay here. There have been no upgrades in a number of years, but that was not an issue for us. The hotel is reported to be haunted. We checked in, but did not leave our luggage at that time. When we returned at about 11PM, we found that our room was occupied by someone else, so the ghost must have been playing games. We were switched to the bridal suite for no extra charge, and there was no problem. Breakfast is a bit sparse, but is included. Free parking is in back of the building.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lorraine-GenMgr, General Manager at Historic Cary House Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Can't definitely confirm those ghostly rumors John, but the legends certainly live on here at our historic hotel. Since your visit in December, we've made a number of value added changes and we hope you'll stay with us again when you're in town. Safe travels!
Roseville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

The people are friendly and accommodating. The rooms are furnished with antiques & beautiful quilts that bring you back to the gold rush days. The only negative is that the floors are very creaky but that is to be expected in these old places. The nice surprise was the well supplied continental breakfast. The hotel has a reputation for being haunted but I didn't get to meet any ghosts.

• Stayed April 2013
Lorraine-GenMgr, General Manager at Historic Cary House Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thanks so much for being our guest at the Historic Cary House Hotel. We hope you'll be able to join us again in the near future.
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

A lovely 19th Century hotel with lots of history and evidence to prove it in the books and albums available to browse. The lift (elevator) is not for the faint hearted as it drop when you enter it, however, the stairs as very wide and typical Victorian,
The rooms are modern as are the facilities. It's a lovely town as well with ample places to eat.
Not to be missed if you are in the area .... look out for the hanging man opposite !!

Room Tip: The suits are very good
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your comments! We're glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon!
Olympia, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

For the price its a rip, especially when I could have gotten a decent room for half the price on Hotwire at a hotel with the same number of stars on TripAdvisor. The furniture and artwork look like a collection of thrift store meets Target. Toiletries were cheap and the kitchenette and fridge promissed in each room are nonexistent. What I got was a coffee maker (powdered creamer), no hair dryer, not even an ice bucket. I don't even think they have an ice machine. The hallways look seedy and the elevator was old and plain scary. I wouldn't want to be here in the next quake. The phone didn't work in my room for local calls, so I just used my cell phone. The TV was positioned on the mirrored vanity blocking the mirror. The "closet" was a rod positioned over the coffee maker / bed stand because there was not enough room for both. This was the smallest room you could get away with and call a room. The window over looked the roof of an adjoining building and Mel's Diner. You can hear lovely street and freeway noises as you try to drift off to sleep. The heater/air conditioner made an annoying sound similar to a bathroom fan that was impossible to sleep through so I had to turn it off even though it was freezing when I entered the room, the windows were open and it was 45 degrees outside, and snow had accumulated on the sides of the road. I found out through trial and error that they block some Internet sites like Facebook on their wireless network, which is okay, but they should warn you that wireless service is limited. I don't know what plusses you could give this place other than location, which is downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the street, most overlook the street with loud bar and freeway noi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Lorraine-GenMgr, General Manager at Historic Cary House Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
We certainly respect your opinion and have reviewed your comments knowing that there are always steps we can take in making every stay enjoyable for our guests. We understand that each guest brings a different perspective. Here for example is an excerpt from another guest received the same day you arrived at the hotel - The Cary House has lots and lots of charm. The management has gone way out to keep the hotel up to its original period. The furnishings in the room were wonderful and we loved the period elevator. Not a run of the mill hotel. We definitely plan to return. Two different viewpoints, but each is valuable. Thank you.
Olympia, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The hotel is clean and decent, but in Placerville in the evening with everything in town closed, we thought that we would watch one of the two TVs in our room.
There were 26 stations available, including Fox News, but no PBS stations, no MSNBC,or Comedy Central, or even CSPAN 2 for the weekend book TV program

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Historic Cary House Hotel? Share your experiences!