We love historic hotels, and stay at them throughout the American West. We are usually inclined to give them a break when it comes to judging modern amenities or fixtures. But I'm afraid the Cary House needs a wake-up call of its own. For the price (we paid $175 for two people in a king bed room), this is what one gets (the good and the bad):
- Very friendly and helpful staff
- Beautiful and historic lobby and fixtures
- Old carpeting throughout the upper floors that is very musty and stretched out 70s stuff
- Small rooms (not a problem except cramped with too-big furniture)
- Cheap (not historic or antique) furniture well past its prime
- Very saggy old beds and tatty sheets and spreads (ours had holes)
- Nice bath, very modern but tasteful — unfortunately dirty (mold around faucet in tub, dirt around cabinets)
- Towels of a vintage and condition I would use to clean my car
Come on Cary House! It does not take a lot to fix these problems. The Weatherford in Flagstaff, Arizona, is far less expensive and far, far nicer and cleaner.
- Also Known As:
- Lexington Historic Cary Hotel
- Lexington Historic Cary Placerville
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, Tingo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Agoda so you can book your Historic Cary House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.