“Historic Beauty” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Placerville
Roseville, California
“Historic Beauty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

The people are friendly and accommodating. The rooms are furnished with antiques & beautiful quilts that bring you back to the gold rush days. The only negative is that the floors are very creaky but that is to be expected in these old places. The nice surprise was the well supplied continental breakfast. The hotel has a reputation for being haunted but I didn't get to meet any ghosts.

• Stayed April 2013
Lorraine-GenMgr, General Manager at Historic Cary House Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thanks so much for being our guest at the Historic Cary House Hotel. We hope you'll be able to join us again in the near future.

129 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

A lovely 19th Century hotel with lots of history and evidence to prove it in the books and albums available to browse. The lift (elevator) is not for the faint hearted as it drop when you enter it, however, the stairs as very wide and typical Victorian,
The rooms are modern as are the facilities. It's a lovely town as well with ample places to eat.
Not to be missed if you are in the area .... look out for the hanging man opposite !!

Room Tip: The suits are very good
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your comments! We're glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon!
Olympia, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

For the price its a rip, especially when I could have gotten a decent room for half the price on Hotwire at a hotel with the same number of stars on TripAdvisor. The furniture and artwork look like a collection of thrift store meets Target. Toiletries were cheap and the kitchenette and fridge promissed in each room are nonexistent. What I got was a coffee maker (powdered creamer), no hair dryer, not even an ice bucket. I don't even think they have an ice machine. The hallways look seedy and the elevator was old and plain scary. I wouldn't want to be here in the next quake. The phone didn't work in my room for local calls, so I just used my cell phone. The TV was positioned on the mirrored vanity blocking the mirror. The "closet" was a rod positioned over the coffee maker / bed stand because there was not enough room for both. This was the smallest room you could get away with and call a room. The window over looked the roof of an adjoining building and Mel's Diner. You can hear lovely street and freeway noises as you try to drift off to sleep. The heater/air conditioner made an annoying sound similar to a bathroom fan that was impossible to sleep through so I had to turn it off even though it was freezing when I entered the room, the windows were open and it was 45 degrees outside, and snow had accumulated on the sides of the road. I found out through trial and error that they block some Internet sites like Facebook on their wireless network, which is okay, but they should warn you that wireless service is limited. I don't know what plusses you could give this place other than location, which is downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the street, most overlook the street with loud bar and freeway noi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Lorraine-GenMgr, General Manager at Historic Cary House Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
We certainly respect your opinion and have reviewed your comments knowing that there are always steps we can take in making every stay enjoyable for our guests. We understand that each guest brings a different perspective. Here for example is an excerpt from another guest received the same day you arrived at the hotel - The Cary House has lots and lots of charm. The management has gone way out to keep the hotel up to its original period. The furnishings in the room were wonderful and we loved the period elevator. Not a run of the mill hotel. We definitely plan to return. Two different viewpoints, but each is valuable. Thank you.
Olympia, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The hotel is clean and decent, but in Placerville in the evening with everything in town closed, we thought that we would watch one of the two TVs in our room.
There were 26 stations available, including Fox News, but no PBS stations, no MSNBC,or Comedy Central, or even CSPAN 2 for the weekend book TV program

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

While strolling the historic Placerville Main Street shops, we poked our head into the Cary Hotel. My niece had said that the hotel was haunted. I asked the front desk clerk if they had any haunted rooms. He said that the entire hotel had provided supernatural sightings but that two rooms in particular seemed to be visited frequently. Those rooms were 212 and the suite at 214. Room 214 was occupied but the clerk offered to let us take a peek at Room 212. Just walking the old rich wood paneled hallways and staircase got us in the "spirit" for a haunting. Although the room lacked any immediate extraordinary "vibe", it was cute and had some nice antique touches to keep with the historic character of the hotel. The bed seemed ancient and uninviting and the room was a little drab but it is an old hotel and I would gladly pay the low fee to spend a night with their ghosts. We plan to book Room 214 in the future and enjoy the fun of the haunt and the off-season lower price. The staff was very helpful with suggestions for enjoying the town.

Room Tip: Consider Room 214 or 212 that are supposed to be more haunted. Room 214 is a suite and larger.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hacienda Heights, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

My boyfriend and I just returned from a two night stay at the Historic Cary House Hotel in Placerville, CA. I have to say that I was very impressed by this small, historic hotel. Upon arrival the only thing on my mind was getting to bed, but as soon as I stepped into the lobby of the hotel I was greeted by beautiful woodwork and beautiful stained glass windows which only made me want to discover more. I right away knew I had made a great choice in where I was staying and would definitely come back.

The rooms themselves are very clean!! The bathroom is a nice size (not too small, not too big) and the shower was great! I had read previous reviews before my arrival that had stated there was not any hot water in the morning, which made me a little nervous, but I did not experience this once. The bed itself is large and comfortable with very warm blankets for those cold nights. We had a great view of the main street outside of our window and the noise wasn't an issue at all. The only drawback to staying in an older hotel is the minor noises within the hotel itself. The walls aren't very thick and you can hear people outside of the room in the morning. Other than that the Cary House is a great place to stay in a very charming town!

Room Tip: I suggest getting a room on the upper levels with a view of the main street. It's a great view...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We try to stay only in historic hotels, at least once in every town we visit. We've returned now to Cary House a couple of times.

It's getting a wee bit tired, but the history and beautiful lobby are still lovely.

On 11/21/12 we stayed in ROOM 200, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Management was more than just "attentive" - they were spectacular in every way except that the water was not HOT in the morning - it was warm, so no harm done, and when we mentioned this to staff, they immediately offered a credit. We accepted a tiny portion of the credit, because we had enjoyed every other aspect of our stay.

Manager recommended a restaurant, told us some interesting history about the hotel, and was all-in-all more than accommodating.

Although the rooms and halls are getting a little tired, we will stay again and will report back next time we do. Ownership/management does try to fix things up on a regular basis, and I feel that we have to give them a break in this economy which causes suffering of businesses and individuals alike.

I highly recommend this unless you are ultra-picky.

Room Tip: Room 200 is inhabited by a very friendly spirit who will ensure a restful night's sleep!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Historic Cary House Hotel? Share your experiences!