“Not to my Liking” 3 of 5 stars

“Not to my Liking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

“Not to my liking”
Pending review

Let me start by saying I arrived after driving for 10 1/2 hours, so I was tired. The good things...the place was clean, the shower was good and the bed comfortable. Now for the other side...when I arrived there were two young women at check in who tried to be helpful with restaurants etc. (this motel is outside Placerville), they then asked me if I wanted my room cleaned in the morning..what? Umm, yes I do. Then an older woman (manager?)was on the phone using pretty foul language (the F word) and then went on to degrade a worker to whomever she was talking while standing in front of me. It all seemed unprofessional.
My other concern was they have the old keys with the motel name and room number written on it and no inside chain lock..felt a we bit insane for solo women. I will not return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We were a little worried, but it was just great. The room was very clean, the towels were fine and the staff was welcoming. The breakfast should not be called this way (weird sugary buns and coffee, at least they had bananas!).
That's not the motel's fault, but it's fairly close to the highway, so it's a little loud. There is also a bar nearby. We heard music until 10 pm and once this stopped, you'll get great noises from frogs right by the window. That was quite annoying.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Milpitas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We came here to stay for the Apple Hill festival they have every year. This place is buzzing just after Labor Day at all the Apple Farms in the area. You can get some very good Apple "products" like Apple turnovers, pie, and other various forms of Apple pastries. We have a few farms we are sure to visit, and this place seems to central to all the happenings at the farms. The people are very friendly, and the surrounding country is just beautiful.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room to avoid having to carry things up to the second floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

There is little to write about the National 9, positive or negative. It is what you would imagine a roadside motel to be.

That said, while not everything was perfect, it was acceptable and for a low price, that's what one can expect.

The beds were comfortable and the shower powerful. Cleaning regime was ok, but not what one might expect from a larger chain. The decor/room condition was patchy in places (lose bathroom floor tile, somewhat broken door lock, blown light bulb over sink) as was the wi-fi connection. The staff we encountered were generally friendly.

Placerville is a small place, but has plenty of option in terms of dining which are within relatively easy reach of the hotel.

Would I return? If the price were right, I probably would. Manage your expectations and you'll probably be fine!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Had to cancel my reservation the day before. I went to the motel to do this. Was greeted by an extremely rude woman. I said I needed to cancel my reservation. She said do you realize you are cancelling the day before? I said yes. She said well there is going to be a charge for that, we have a business to run here. I told her that I was not aware of the time to cancel nor was I told about it when I called the motel directly. I then told her that I stay at the motel often and that I would not return, she said "that's fine with me". She said she would cancel my room, not sure if she did or not. As I turned to leave, she started running her mouth again, I just told her to shut up and walked out

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Oroville, Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We got a super low price on Priceline and admittedly our expectations were low. But I am happy to say we were pleasantly surprised. Check in was easy and friendly. The clerk had no problem accommodating our request for a downstairs room or giving us extra pillows. The room was non smoking and did not smell like smoke at all, just fresh and clean but without an air freshner or bleach/cleaner cover up stench. The room may have been refurbished within the last few years or so as the furniture and bedspread looked pretty new and the super cute curtains and rod were new looking as well. The bathroom had nice new marble tile and fixtures. My only complaint there is that pretty tile feels like sheet of ice in the middle of the night, numbingly cold. The tv was a decent size with remote and cable with a guide channel. Also included was a fridge, microwave, and coffee pot. All of them were super clean and worked perfectly. The bedding was perfectly clean and fresh without feeling and smelling like overbleached cardboard. The free wifi was easy to access with the password given to me upon check in, do not use the one printed in their tourist binder in the room as they change it often I guess. The heat works very well. We had it on for only an hour and the room got so hot we kept it off all night and it stayed warm until close to dawn.

There were a few negatives unfortunately. The road noise is no joke. If you are a light sleeper make sure to request an upstairs room away from the noise. Luckily we aren't light sleepers. Also this is an old motel so even when someone is walking normally in the room above it will sound like a small elephant. The bed is very very firm, not much give to it at all and we did a lot of tossing and turning because getting comfy never really happened. The pillows were very old and thin, where 2 of them is too high but one is not enough. We both woke up with sore necks and hip bones. The continental breakfast was Oj, coffee, some fruit and packaged Danish which was perfectly fine for us and weren't expecting a hot buffet.

My huge pet peeve was the checkout process. The desk was not staffed and you just drop your key in a basket and leave. This works fine for places with electronic keys. But this place uses normal locks and the keys are labeled with the room number on the keychain. What's to stop another guest or some random stranger from grabbing another key, cleaning the place out and leaving the original completely clueless guest liable for it all? I would like to see the desk staffed to allow in person checkout.

Overall, it's a cheap but super clean room in a convenient location and we would probably stay here again if we're still on a tight budget.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room away from the road. Use a travel site to score a room for half what the mot...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Almere, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Good value for money. Beds are fine, free wifi and coffee (and some bananas ?)
Great hospitality and i would definitely recommend this place to family and friends.
I stayed here during a trip from San Francisco to Lake Tahoe after visiting Napa Valley.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to National 9 Inn? Share your experiences!