“Good Brisket” 4 of 5 stars

Description: (530) 622-3883
Reno, Nevada
“Good Brisket”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was a decent place to eat. Was not very busy on a Friday night. The beef brisket stood out and I had enough leftovers for a second meal.

Visited November 2012

Placerville, California
“Wild for Hog Wild”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Ive been here with my friends many times. Staff is always nice and friendly, the cooks are experienced and skilled, the place is clean with a down to earth casual atmousphere, like it's your family's restaurant. You get big portions for your money with lots of nice side alternatives to the run of the mill burger and fries. My fave is the garlic cheese bread. Their burgers are SUPER good, I'd venture to say the best in town. The difference? They smoke the patties for a nice charcoaly flavor. It makes all the difference. Their veggie enchelada is delicious too. It's HUGE, so split it with someone if you eat like a bird! You can also get meat in it, fyi. The hotrod nights are really cool to go to and admire the classic cars, even if you don't have one or aren't into cars that much, it's still a neat little event, though I think it's just in the summertime. This place isn't fancy or pretentious. No dress codes, no ediquette, just a nice, friendly place, the kind you go to if you want to be greeted by name, the kind you like to "hang out" at. I know I will be doing a lot of hanging out here in the future. :)

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
n/a
“Good ribs and brisket; good friendly service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My buddy and I ate at the Hog Wild in Placerville on Saturday night. It is located about a block south/west of where CA 49 crosses US 50, just outside the "main drag". It is a small unpretentious place, with 8-10 tables seating 4-6 each. The walls are covered with pictures of hot rods and custom cars, with names of the owners from the area.

They had 3-4 beers on tap (I had the Alaskan Amber) and maybe 8-10 bottled choices. I had the rib plate (4, 9" ribs), my buddy had the brisket (2, 9"x2.5" pieces). Both were tasty and had good sauce; the ribs were meaty and juicy. We both liked our choices.

They have a number of sides. We got: cole slaw; corn bread; garlic bread; their chunky fries. Fries and garlic bread were good. Cole slaw and corn bread were OK, but each lacked some distinctive taste that they could have had. The cole slaw was neither creamy nor vinegary. It just needed 'something else". Likewise the corn bread was blander than I like. It could have been either sweeter or 'cornier' (or something). The other sides (e.g. baked beans) may be great - we just did not have them.

I'd give it a 3.5 if I could. Overall I recommend giving it a try.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
California
“Not So Wild”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The owners seemed nice and the service was certainly fast. The place is clean and they apparently draw the "hot rod" club on certain days. However, the BBQ just wasn't that great. The brisket was tough and dry, and the other items were just so-so. I hate to sound negative, but that was our experience.

Visited August 2012
Placerville, California
“Great BBQ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Okay, this place is owned and operated by a lady that I went to school with in 1960....the BBQ is great, regardless of what you order (try the ribs)...priced very reasonably and good choices.

Visited November 2011