“Great Secluled Hideaway in Placerville” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Davies Family Inn at Shadowridge Ranch

The Davies Family Inn at Shadowridge Ranch
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Placerville
The Davies Family Inn at Shadowridge Ranch
You added The Davies Family Inn at Shadowridge Ranch to your Saves list
3700 Fort Jim Road, Placerville, CA 95667   |
Ranked #4 of 10 Placerville B&B and Inns
San Juan Capistrano CA
“Great Secluled Hideaway in Placerville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had the pleasure of spending a night at the Davies Family Inn with my wife and 2 other couples on April 4, 2013. We all enjoyed the stay and Jim the owner was a great host, very accommodating and entertained us with great stories. Jim had fresh cookies for us when we arrived. The rooms were great and Jim is quite the cook in the morning. We had a great breakfast of eggs, bacon, yogurt, fresh fruit and even made us waffles when he found out one of our friends could not eat eggs. This was the best breakfast we had on our entire week long trip staying in B&B's.
The grounds were very nice and there was a lot of history in the place. This was our favorite stay and we would all recommend the Davies Family Inn.

Room Tip: We had three different rooms and they were all great
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

My wife & I just spent a wonderful weekend at this secluded compond outside Placerville. Jim Davies, the owner, is a gracious and welcoming host who greets each visitor as one of his family. Located amid a private neighborhood, but with easy access to Hiway 49, Apple Hill, and historic downtown Placerville, you're sure to find plenty to do, ... or not!

Room Tip: Select one of the separate cabin rooms for maximum quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

I had a wonderfully serene experience staying here in a spacious log cabin. The Inn is located on a quiet, winding, country road between Placerville and Camino and features kept-up grounds with unique flourishes such as taxidermy. Wildlife viewing was fun; I saw deer and woodpeckers. The Innkeeper was sweet and entertaining and he cooked a delicious and satisfying breakfast (fruit salad, vanilla yogurt, chile-sausage casserole, apple cake, juice, coffee). Initially, it was a little hard to make phone reservations due to a lack of cell phone reception at the Inn and a lack of response to my website and email inquiries; however, once I got there, it was worth it!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

We just finished a one night stay at Betty's Cabin at the Jim Davies Family Inn ( formerly Shadow Ridge) My husband and I were thrilled with our stay. It was a quaint and quiet cabin which made for a wonderful get-away weekend. The grounds were beautiful, well maintained and yet still had all the outdoors rustic feel that we enjoy. Jim was very accomadating with our early checkin time request. Upon our late return to our cabin, he made sure that it was well heated (it was a crazy cold weekend) and even had a basket of homemade cookies waiting for us on the kitchenette counter. The next morning, we enjoyed a wonderful homemade breakfast that was both bountiful and delightful...and was able to get some history of the area from Jim. We are already planking our next weekend up and will most likely try out the carpenter cabin. The drive up is great during the day but may seem to take forever. I do not recommend anyone take the road at night unless they have driven it at least one other time. Fort Jim Road is well marked (at both openings) but is very easy to miss after sundown. I am so glad that we picked this great b and b instead of one of the ones closer to town!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

We were lucky enough to get one of the four rooms at The Davies Family Inn for a night over Memorial Day weekend. It was perfect for us. It's located out in the country, off back roads that wind through excellent wineries known for Zins. The Inn is actually part of an old homestead. It's now a place for weddings and gatherings. The two cottage are knotty-pine and very tastefully decorated. Ours had a wood stove which was perfect for the rainy night. Jim the proprietor could not be more accommodating. He made a great brie/apricot appetizer served with wine, home made chocolate chip cookies and an incredible hot breakfast. It's a very friendly place (we enjoyed the other guests, drinking wine around the main lodge's wood stove). Jim got us reservations at the very popular Golden Vine Grill - excellent choice. Our stay ranks right up there with the best "finds" in our travels. Recommended without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

I am not the hugest fan of Placerville. But it is close to Sacramento and nice for a quick getaway. So we decided, based on almost non-existent reviews, to the Davies Inn for a one-night getaway.

The Davies Family Inn is a lovely property outside Placerville that hosts a variety of buildings for public and private space. Jim was very warm and welcoming, offering bits of history amongst the fireplace instructions and warm cookies.

We stayed in Betty's Cabin, a clean room with working fireplace, kitchenette, and bathroom. Breakfast was a bounty of deliciousness, including homemade cornbread and delightful coffee.

Would stay there again. At least I hope to!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
sacramento
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2007

I had my wedding at the ranch. Although it was a lovely time of year, promises were made but not kept. For example there was supposed to be a large flower bed near the entrance...there was not. The tent for the wedding had a very large blue stripe through it..okay for a sporting event..definitely not a wedding. I rented a simple wood table for my favors which also displayed brochures for the ranch, and I had to pay for the table rental..not in good taste. Lastly, my wedding cake was delivered to the wine cellar where it should have stayed, and staff from the ranch attempted to move my cake to the lawn and the cake fell...I didn't even get an apology! The cabins were cute and environment beautiful. It was the first year they were open, I hope things have improved.

• Liked — location, location, location
  • Disliked — poor management...first year in business, probably lack of experience
  • Stayed August 2003, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Davies Family Inn at Shadowridge Ranch? Share your experiences!