“Excellent Sushi” 5 of 5 stars

805-773-3535
Improve this listing
Ranked #48 of 93 Restaurants in Pismo Beach
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
San Jose, California
“Excellent Sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

This is the second time I've ate at this Japenese restaurant and have found it excellent for Sushi lovers! My favorite is the Rainbow roll plus some Sashami (yellow tail). The edadame is great along with some miso soup.

Excellent sushi restaurant and a "gem" in the Arroyo Grande/Pismo Beach area!

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Oceano, CA
“Service sucks!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

My husband nd I went to the smaller Yanagi place. We said let's try a new place. My husband ordered 2 beers, and when we got the bill they charge us 3 beers instead. The server totally argued with my husband which is not right coz we are customers. She was insisting he ordered 3 beers. We been there maybe for 45mins, and my husband can never drink 3 beers that fast. So anyway, the sushi chef speaks in Japanese to her and she finally said ok, ok... And then there was a couple sitting next to us at the bar, the guy said to my husband "u look like you drink 3 beers. Saying my husband was impolite raising his voice in a restaurant. , esp in front of our kid. (well he doesn't know my husband to say that. that guy was really annoying considering it's not his business). How he's not going to raise his voice if he's telling the truth? And this freaking japanese server was arguing with my husband. Then my husband said look at you you're drinking too, and the woman said we're just sharing one beer. "we've been coming here for 10yrs and we don't think she'll lie. WHAT???? we are not lying, just for one beer? I don't think so. We love to it eat but that experience never happen to us. Very bad experience! We will never go back to that Yanagi again. Good food but service really really suck!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
SLO
“great food with wonderful view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

their sushi rolls are very yummy and BIG! love the view out towards the ocean. and great going here for their tepanyaki for special occasions!! a bit pricey, but worth it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ventura, CA
“Best sushi in years!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

First of all, I have to say that Yanagi Sushi in Pismo is my favorite sushi restaurant in Southern California. Period. And that includes all the fancy places in L.A. and San Diego that I've been to. I don't give this recommendation lightly because I'm very critical of sushi restaurants and meals.

The service at Yanagi is just terrific. Always prompt, polite, and accommodating. The manager is always within eye-site, and he is constantly observing and leading the staff making sure that things run well and are clean.

The sushi chefs are top notch, and you can tell that they really enjoy their craft. Out of the 9 or 10 times I've eaten there, I've completely left my meal selection up to the sushi chef (serve me what you think I'd like) at least half of the time and they always blow my mind with their selection, flavors, execution, and skill. The presentation of the sushi is very careful and can be described only as beautiful (just look at my photos!)

The sauces are made in house and really set Yanagi apart from all the rest, and the rice is just perfectly seasoned and sticky -- but never gooey. They make a ginger dressing that my wife refers to constantly.

The teppanyaki is every bit as good (and I think better) than what you are served at Benihana. The atmosphere at the tables has always been relaxing and fun, and you should try to sit at them during the evening to catch the spectacular sunset views from the restaurant because it is perched on a hillside above the city. A delicious dinner, cold beer, and watching the sun set into the sea... it just doesn't get any better.

We make it a point to go to this restaurant every time we pass through Pismo. It's that good.

Arroyo Grande, ca
“Excellent Food, Superior Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

Yanagi's has two locations in Pismo Beach and I love both of them. The steakhouse up on the hill across the freeway from the Pismo Outlet Mall is a great atmosphere for going out and celebrating with friends or taking kids since they have the teppan tables. Their food is excellent and you don't have to wait hours for it to arrive. In fact, you may want to order a few rolls and then add more later. They are so quick about getting your food to you it is surprising. Fortunately, the food is also really, really good. And I can't talk about the service enough. Most restaurants provide you with one waiter or waitress. At Yanagi's you get several people waiting on you, picking up empty dishes, refilling drinks, and checking on you. The atmosphere at the location on top of the hill is fun, although it can be a little loud. If you want a more intimate setting where you can talk more easily, try the location off of Oak Park by OSH Hardware. They still have the same superior service and food, but they don't have the teppan tables, which keeps it a little quieter. The people are really great!

The location in San Luis Obispo is also fabulous and has a great atmosphere. The only negative thing I could say about any of these places is that I wish they had more tables available since they are so popular. However, their superior fast service guarantees that you won't have an extremely long wait. I went there on Mother's Day the very first time and my family and I were seated within 15 minutes. Larger groups can get a room at the location on Oak Park. I'm not sure if the James Way location has private rooms.

I highly recommend this place!