“Serene and relaxing getaway” 5 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2351 Price St, Pismo Beach, CA 93449   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 28 hotels in Pismo Beach
Los Angeles, California
“Serene and relaxing getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

My family and I visit the Cottage Inn at least once a year. Their grounds are beautiful, including a well-kept, garden area overlooking the ocean. Personally, I find the view from the oceanfront rooms more scenic than when I stay in Maui. The rooms are not too large, but extremely comfortable. It would be nice to have more than one option of pillow, but most should find them comfortable. The in-room gas fireplace makes provides a great touch during winter. While the rooms do not have air conditioners, I have never had an experience in which I needed one. Simply open the windows and take in the fresh ocean air.

My kids especially enjoy the expanded continental breakfast, which includes items like pastries, bagels, oatmeal, fruit, and make-your-own waffles. Plus, you can either eat inside, with plenty of tables, or outside on the patio, with the partial view of the ocean. They even have high-chairs for the little ones. Also, they offer cookies in the lobby in the afternoon from a local bakery.

The service is another quality of the Cottage Inn. The frontdesk staff is very friendly and is willing to help with ideas for dinner or directions. They are equally helpful online with securing your booking preferences. I have found other members of the hotel staff to be friendly as well, greeting us while walking to our room.

Overall, the Cottage Inn is a wonderful hotel to visit. It is not large or extravagant, but offers a calm and relaxing environment. I would strongly recommend it. If you are staying in Pismo Beach, the Lighthouse Suites and Cottage Inn are the best by far. I believe that the Lighthouse Suites offer some bigger accommodations with multiple bedrooms, but the Cottage Inn has left with me the most memorable experiences.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

606 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Fresno
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

Our room was big and nice. The pool is small but has great views. In general this is a great place to stay. I would recomend comparing rates with the Pismo Lighthouse Suites which is right next door and stay at which ever is cheaper.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
NORTHRIDGE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

This place is absolutely wonderful! The staff makes you feel right at home! The rooms are spacious, have very comfortable beds and are equipped with a fireplace. They also have an amazing continental breakfast every morning in the main lobby. I have already been twice in the last two two months. I recommend it to everyone as a little getaway!!

• Stayed June 2010
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

We really looked forward to our stay at Cottage Inn By The Sea and it proved as great a success as we had hoped, charming. Nice and clean, friendly staff, can't fault it.

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

We have stayed here a number of times and have enjoyed it every time. The last time we went there (in May, 2010) my parents were celebrating their 64th wedding anniversary. I mentioned it when I made reservations, and upon arrival in their room my parents found a bottle of bubbly on ice in a silver bucket with two glasses. What class!

We used to stay in the non-ocean view rooms, which are nice enough, but ever since we tried the ocean view rooms we somehow haven't been able to settle for less. Just the ability to open my sliding glass door and walk out onto my patio, sit down, and enjoy listening to the ocean is well worth the little bit extra the ocean view rooms cost. For an even better view of the coast they have an area where you can sit near the fenced off bluff that has Adirondack chairs & umbrellas. From that vantage point I have seen whales, seals, otters, and others have even seen dolphins -- all of which appeals to my "nature" side.

Rooms have fireplaces, refrigerators, microwaves, high speed Internet, and complimentary bottled water. The decor is like an English cottage -- the hotel itself looks like a row of thatched cottages, which distinguishes itself from other hotels in the area. The beds are very comfortable. I love waking up there, listening to the birds and to the ocean in the background.

There's a nice complimentary breakfast in the morning and cookies in the lobby in the afternoon. The staff at the Cottage Inn has always been very accommodating and friendly. Interestingly, I have talked to others who live in my town, and they also stay at the Cottage Inn when they go to the coast and love it. Highly recommend this place.

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

My wife and toddler spent one night on the way up the Coast and one on the way back and we had a great experience. The rooms were clean and beds comfortable. There was great water pressure and hot water in the shower and the bathrobes were a nice touch. We enjoyed the walk along the cliff overlooking the ocean - take the path to steps leading down to the beach. The hotel is about a 10 or 15 minute walk into downtown Pismo and the pier/restaurants. We even found a swing set on the beach (north of pier)for our child to use.

The complimentary breakfast was filling and we enjoyed making our own waffles. The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful and had dining and recreational recommendations.

The only negative was the light coming in through the back door on our return trip - they could use a black-out curtain instead of shutters.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

I stayed here over Spring Break and will definitely return. The rooms were beautiful with a fireplace and fluffy pillows. The staff was courteous and my room was always immaculate. I would sit in the jacuzzi at night and then warm up by the nice fire in the fireplace. The walks along the beach were so relaxing. Would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Been to Cottage Inn by the Sea? Share your experiences!