“Excellent and Homey” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 28 hotels in Pismo Beach
San Carlos, California
“Excellent and Homey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

This is my favorite place to stay in Pismo. The charm and quaintness is the first thing one notices, aside from the perfect spot so close to the ocean. As soon as I get into the room, I open all the windows to hear the waves for the whole visit--regardless the weather. There is a convenient path to follow to the 72 stairs to the beach and many people walk through with their dogs and kids from the next door motel, as well. The path is well groomed and maintained.

The employees, constantly moving, are the next thing one sees. The front office staff is very friendly, greeting guests as they pass through to breakfast. The next employee guests encounter is Rebecca, the friendliest breakfast room attendant I've ever met. She greets guests and always make sure things are going well. The housekeeping staff makes sure that you return to a nice clean room after a day exploring the area, and usually your towels are folded into an animal to greet you. Who would not want to return? I've been staying at the Cottage Inn since 2008!

• Stayed December 2012

601 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Clovis, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel. Rooms are like cottages, not a boring building. Room was clean. View of the ocean was amazing. Free included breakfast was better than restaurants. Definitely recommend it. Plenty of parking, fireplace in room.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

I have reviewed the Cottage Inn in the past, so I will not be overly detailed. The location on a cliff is superb, and the service continues to be exceptional. I will point out a few differences I noticed most recently.

Pool towels: Two sets of towels are stocked in the room now, bath and pool. The bath towels are more plush than previously.

Breakfast: not too much difference here, although you can choose prepared oatmeal or Quaker packets now.

Afternoon cookies in the lobby: seemed to be better stocked...and tasty.

Room lighting: new, yet annoying energy-miser switches. The lights turned off on me while taking a shower since motion was not detected. I am energy conscious, but it was pretty silly.

Bedding: comfortable, pillowy, plush, the best.

I come here at least once a year and thoroughly enjoy it every time.

• Stayed December 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I have been going to Pismo my whole life and drove past the Cottage Inn by the Sea many times wondering what it's all about. We were impressed. We were located on the bottom floor (Room 513) with an Ocean view and a door to the back porch with chairs. Here are my thoughts:

Rooms- Having an Ocean view is the way to go. There are two types of ocean view rooms. The rooms upstairs have a better view but no porch/balcony. The rooms downstairs have a porch and a view of the ocean (when we go back, we will make sure to be downstairs again).

Fireplace- Our room had a fireplace which is a must have!

Free Breakfast- The breakfast was really good for a continental. They had waffles, scones, bagels, cereal, oatmeal, and more to eat.

Towels for pool/hot tub/beach- There are white and green towels in your room. The green towels are for your use at either the pool, tub, or beach.

Beds- This is hard to evaluate because everyone has different preferences. We slept decent but I find it hard to get restful sleep when I'm in new places. The sheets we nice and pillows soft.

Internet- We were never able to connect to their free internet. That was ok for the purpose of this trip as we spent most of our time away but this would have been a problem if it were a business trip.

Dogs- Throughout our stay, we noticed most of the people had dogs. I'm not sure if dogs can stay with people in the rooms or if there is a special place for them but this could be an issue for guests. I'm not a dog person my self but this never bothered me (partly because there were not many people staying there during this time of year). However, I could see this really being an issue for many people. I MUST say, our room did not smell like dogs at all. If it did, that would have ruined the trip, but it didn't and we really enjoyed out time.

To sum it up, I would stay here again, especially during this time of year (December).

Room Tip: Rooms with Ocean View on the bottom floor
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Do not be taken in by the website photos, this hotel is one of several hotels and restaurants situated along the cliff top and has hotels either side of it. It does have sea views and a narrow frontage which has been made into a garden of sorts. Advertised as 'English', with the fake beams, roof tiles and non-standard rooms and windows, it is less like a normal American hotel. The evening check-in staff were enthusiastic and friendly and parking is right by your door, or outside staircase. Our room was upstairs with a sea view, the angled roof gave it a spacious feel and the fake log gas fire provided instant warmth. Tea as well as coffee making facilities were provided in the room but we wondered if 8 pillows on the bed were really necessary. We slept well in this comfortable room. The bathroom has a sliding door and robes are provided.
Breakfast next morning was a real let-down; the good impression created by the room and check-in staff was completely spoilt by the breakfast and check-out experiences. Although the Virgin brochure decribed it as 'deluxe', breakfast was more like that in a mediocre English cafe and, adding insult to injury, there was a box labelled 'Tips' when the whole thing was self-service. The check-out staff were off-hand and did not even look at us, let alone ask about our stay.

Room Tip: If you want to sit outside, choose a ground floor room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
worcestershire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We finished our two week tour of Southern California with 3 nights here having chosen this hotel for the ocean view position. We had an ocean view room which is well worth it but I would have loved the opportunity to sit outside on a balcony (first floor rooms don't have a balcony) enjoying the views. However the seats in the garden area mean you can do this - sitting there enjoying a glass of wine watching the ocean (including dolphins and seals) - lovely and relaxing.
The rooms are very good, clean and well equipped and the staff were very helpful and efficient. Breakfast is a lttle limited in selection but more than adequate and there is free internet access in the breakfast room.
There is a nice pool and hot tub area - but it is not particularly big so I assume it may get busy. It wasn't when we were there and it was a bit a chilly (particularly noticeable having come from Death Valley and 115 degree!!). However the screening round the pool makes it very sheltered. Of course the pool is probably not that important when a 5 minute walk down the stairway leads you to the expanse that is Pismo Beach! Its probably a 20-25 minute walk along the beach to the pier and the centre of town (takes a similar time walking along the main road).
Pismo Beach is a small town and seemed a little 'out of season' but there are some nice restaurants and stunning scenery. The hotel was a great choice for location and an ability to relax. Do splash out on an Ocean View room - its worth it!!

Room Tip: Ocean view room - listen to the waves as you fall to sleep!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

First ever night in the US - easy to check in andpark. Rooms cosy (read very warm) the ceiling fan helps., but I would be concerned staying here in summer with no air con!!
The details of the towels as swans was a lovely touch. The hotel staff were very helpful with giving us directions to local eateries and shopping.
The breakfast was basic but ok (breads, fruits and assortment of spreadable condiments). Only styed here for one night but it started my trip off well!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Cottage Inn by the Sea? Share your experiences!