“Fantastic Views, Great Service” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Save 15% On New Rooms
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Pismo Beach
San Diego Area
“Fantastic Views, Great Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

We visit the Pismo Beach area several times a year and have stayed at the Spyglass Inn on a number of occasions. There are many hotel choices in this area and we have returned to Spyglass because of their reasonable prices, pet-friendly policy and unbeatable views. We always stay in the ocean-front rooms -- I would not recommend staying in the back building behind the pool, or even the side building, because you won't get that beach-front experience. The hotel is perched on a bluff above the beach. There are beautiful gardens adjacent to the bluffs and views that stretch for miles. You can hear the waves breaking on the beach at night and it's quiet and peaceful there. There is also a restaurant on site with spectacular views as well. There is easy access to the beach (down a flight of stairs) if you take a five-minute walk past the other hotels just north of Spyglass. We love bringing our dogs there because they are allowed on the beach also -- which adds to the fun. This is not a five star or even four star property or restaurant by any means but it is comfortable, clean and in a great location.

JgentrySpy, Manager at Spyglass Inn, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
I would like to personally thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I truly appreciate the time that you took to let us know that we provided great service during your visit.
I am happy that we exceeded your overall expectations. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Ventura, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

If you desire a room with a view without breaking the bank then the Spyglass Inn is just the ticket. Just sit on your patio or balcony in one of the ocean-facing rooms with a cup of coffee in the morning or a glass of wine in the evening and enjoy the beautiful 180% expanse laid out before you. The rooms are nicely furnished and clean. The staff is attentive and the adjacent restaurant is the perfect place to enjoy a cocktail and meal while you watch the sunset. Follow the paved cliff path to the north end and you will find steps to the beach below where you can take a long walk at low tide. The garden along the cliff path is beautiful and well kept. But, it is all about the view. My wife and I throughly enjoyed our stay while celebrating our anniversary.

Room Tip: It is all about the view! Request an oceanside, 2nd story balcony room. It is well worth the littl...
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Our favorite place on the Central Coast. The views from the ocean-facing rooms are pure joy. My husband and I sit on the little patio and soak in the charming gardens and broad expanse of sea beyond. In fact, we can sit inside -- even prop up on the bed -- and gaze to our hearts' delight. The rooms are attractively furnished and clean, clean, clean. The staff is always pleasant and attentive. This is not the place to take older kids who may want a water-park style pool (the one here is perfectly adequate, but nothing special), but the ideal place to take little ones or for a romantic getaway. Lots of bluff-tops walks nearby and a quick drive to San Luis Obispo. DePalo and Sons, across the street, has a fine wine selection.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean-view room. The ones on the ground floor have fireplaces; the second floor offers ba...
Templeton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Going through radiation becomes stressful...frightening, facing the unknown. As I passed the Inn every day for my treatments, having lunch at the Spyglass Restaurant sometimes, I decided to treat myself to three nights. The staff was friendly, the room comfy and cozy, and the view of the ocean was so beautiful and calming. I didn't realize how much those three days of quiet beauty would help heal me and ease my way. My husband and I plan to return for a stay once I regain my health; and I am sure we will enjoy our stay even more. Everything you need is right there - lovely room, a view of the sea, access to the beach, a first-class bar and restaurant you can just stroll over to. And you could hear each individual wave as you drifted off to sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2nd floor, maybe toward the center, for they have the best view from the slee...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Simi Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

We spent a couple days at the Spyglass Inn in Pismo Beach, Ca., during valentines week 2014. The room was very nice with a balcony that had a view of the ocean to die for. Sitting on the balcony, having a glass of wine with my sweet heart of 30 year, listening to sound of crashing waves under the light of a full moon, life could not be better. The staff at the hotel was very friendly and helpful with all our needs. The food at the Spyglass Restaurant was surprising good. I want to give a shout out, on a good job, by our dinner waiter Josh and our breakfast waitress Kelley. They were both very friendly and good at their jobs. We look forward to staying at the Spyglass Inn again very soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor with Ocean view and balcony.
Paso Robles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I stayed at Spyglass Inn for over 30--years for business and pleasure. After retiring in 2009 I still make a point to stay at Spyglass when we travel. A great value, excellent customer service & staff. Jim & Jason the hotel managers are always there for your needs and make a point to accomodate you as best as they can. Great place and we can hardly wait to return for a stay!

Room Tip: I recommend the west facing building with ocean views. Down stairs have fireplaces with a patio and...
Paso Robles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

I would venture to say that this is one of the last affordable places to stay in Shell Beach with such an amazing view too! The rooms look like they have been recently updated and they all seem to come with a balcony or deck. Although we weren't promised an ocean view, we had one from our deck. What a pleasant surprise. The restaurant on site had great food. We ate there for every meal. Don't let the cliché, dated décor scare you away! The restaurant also had wonderful ocean views! There service was good too. Overall we had a great experience.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the parkinglot/pool area. I would request a room that looks out to the ocean.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Spyglass Inn? Share your experiences!