“Wow, A Nice Place!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Pismo Beach
San Diego, California
“Wow, A Nice Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed our stay. Friendly staff and nice facility. Room view of ocean spectacular. Room and facility well maintained and very clean. Bed really comfortable. Very quiet stay too. WiFi has great reception. Fridge a little loud. Easy access off Hwy 101. Located in north end of Pismo Beach business area, but close to local hangouts and action. A definite must stay facility.

Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

The hotel is directly set at highway 1.. Disadvantages & advantages in one! It's great having your room right after a long travel, but during the night is the traffic too loud. The rooms are old, dark and it smells strange. And it's very noisy too. The guys from the reception are very nice and help you wherever they can. The restaurant (spyglass restaurant) is poor too! Great food is a good price worth, but how much is bad food worth? The restaurant's service doesn't seem very able and the food is bad.
So the only thing you really can enjoy are great view and the close way to the highway 1 to get away!

• Stayed August 2013
Oakdale, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I decided to take a 36 hour "summer vacation" to the beach with our two boys. As you can imagine, booking a room 12 hours before you are scheduled to arrive is not easy, but I got lucky with this place. I read some reviews, and decided to give it a try. I was not dissapointed, as the place was exactly as described. The front desk staff was great, the room was clean and big enough for the limited time that we were in it, and the ocean view and access to a semi-private beach was great!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Corona, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and I had the distinct pleasure of spending our Wedding Aniversary at the nostalgic and picturesque Spyglass Inn. It is an aging, but well maintained Inn situated upon the bluffs overlooking Shell Beach and San Luis Bay. We enjoyed four days and three nights with unobstructed views of the Pacific Ocean and San Luis Bay along with the breathtaking sunsets from our kingside bed or private balcony.
We took all our meals either in our room or on the deck of the Spyglass Resturant. The view from the Resturant is second to none and the cuisine is to die for. I personally recommend the Spyglass Lox platter for breakfast $9.95, although the $5.95 Pancake Breakfast special was delicious. For dinner I also recommend the Calamari steak, lightly tossed in seasoning, flour & sautéed to a golden brown with fresh garlic capers and white wine & lemon sauce - 19.95 It is the most tender and freshest Calamarai you will ever eat. My wife loves seafood so this Resturant was right up her alley. The steaks are good, it's not Jacko's, but you don't have to wait for 2 hours either. They offer an assortment of sandwichs and I did have the Spyglass burger on the Rustic roll and it was a nice change of pace.
The public beach access (a short stroll down the beautiful landscaped path) takes you down to the tide pools and a lovely, uncrowned, wind protected sandy beach. Shell Beach is the Central California coast in microcosm. There are the ancient bluffs and rocky shoals being eroded away by tide and time, but there is also the sandy beach with driftwood, kelp and seaweed washed ashore.
For me this was a trip down nostalgia lane. Ther is no AC, but you don't need it. The Inn is old, but clean and remodeled and you could try to get a room at the hotel next door with the same views for say $800 to 1,000 a night. My wife checked. I reccomend this Inn to anyone who can appreciate what was the most luxurious Inn in Pismo Beach in the 60's and she has not lost her charm, but has aged gracefully.
Also when you book your reservation for dinner on the deck ask for Josh! He was the most personable, knowledgeable and prompt waiter we've ever had and we stay, when out of the country or in Hawaii at Exclussive Resorts.

Room Tip: Rooms with an full ocean view. There are a few larger corner suites, but we stayed on the third floo...
Pismo Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

we stayed one night here on our way to our daughters and loved it. It is an older establishment but very nice. We had a king bed that was faced toward the ocean so we could lay in bed and see the ocean. We had a very nice lunch in the restaurant. The staff were very nice and friendly. We plan on stayin

g here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

JgentrySpy, Manager at Spyglass Inn, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Our staff really appreciates your warm comments about your stay. We thank you for your stay and look forward to seeing you and your family upon your return to Pismo Beach.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Not a big deal if your wife is not 8 months pregnant. Upon check in I was assured I could have as many fans as I wanted. Using fans for cooling is appropriate when staying at a seaside cabana. This hotel has all the charm of a motel 6 at 5 times the price I can hear every shower in the building and every foot fall.

• Stayed July 2013
JgentrySpy, Manager at Spyglass Inn, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your recent visit. We strive to provide our guests with the best hospitality experience of any hotel in Pismo Beach. Please contact me directly so that I may address your concerns to your full satisfaction.
Carlsbad, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night heading north to visit some relatives for the 4th of July. I wish we stayed for more nights. The hotel is awesome and on the north end of Pismo. The south end is the main city and where the crowds are. This place is right on the bluff overlooking the beach and has a nice walkway along the bluffs. Public access to the beach was right down the courtyard and the room we got, king with a fireplace and ocean view was will worth the price.

I would have given it a excellent rating except the room was a bit messy (not really bad at all) and the cleaning crew missed the gum some idiot left in the shower (not the cleaning crews or hotels fault). other than that I cannot mark down anything on this place. awesome place for the romantic getaway. There was a pool but that was for the kids and families I guess the ocean was right there. The places around this place were twice as much per night as this one so for the money you cannot beat it.

Room Tip: The hotel has a restaurant which was OK but across the street is a wine/deli/store that had awesome...
JgentrySpy, Manager at Spyglass Inn, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for spending your holiday with us. I apologize that we failed to meet your expectations in every way. Based on your feedback, we have resolved the problem on this particular room. We hope that you will consider returning in the future. If so, please contact me directly so that I may give you my personal guarantee of your full satisfaction.

Been to Spyglass Inn? Share your experiences!