“Not as advertised” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Fresno, California
“Not as advertised”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

this place is far from what they advertised, they advertised as the rooms being renovated, not true, unless they did it with the help of a thrift store, the comforters is out dated, looks like something from the 80's, the pillow shams were ripped at the zipper, yet they still put them on the bed, the chair was dirty and stained, and coushion was ripped, the walls are a deli mustard yellow, something from the 80's,

The staff never smile , and they don't as for id for duplicate keys, pretty scary they can give out keys to any one who ask, and you can be wiped clean!! Even motel 6 ask for id!!

they have no direct beach acess, you have to walk like 4 hotels down, to get to the beach,

They have bottled water avaiable in the room for a charge, you think when you splurge on a ocean view rooms they would offer them for free to their guests!!

house keeping needs to pay attention to details, my glass closet door was dirty, as well with my sliding glass door,

the room has poor lighting, they need a lamp near the chair so you can curl up next to the fire place, and enjoy a good book!!

the spa was really nice and hot, but only half the jets worked, they advertised a heated pool,, not sure about that still felt cold to me!

the hotel really need to renovate their rooms before they loose more customer, i happen to over my up stairs neighbors looking for a new hotel because they were also disapointed in the decor

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
JgentrySpy, Manager at Spyglass Inn, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Spyglass Inn. We apologize that your stay was an unpleasant one. I do assure you that we are looking into your comments to make sure that we do our best for every guest in the future. We pride ourselves on our great customer service scores and always do our best to provide a quality product. We hope to be your hospitality provider in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
PORT HUENEME
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have stayed here many times, year after year and never been disappointed. The rooms are clean, the beds are exceptional for a truly restful night and the staff is always helpful and friendly.
The location is very con venient if you are visiting the college (Cal Poly), going wine tasting (there are over 300 wineries in the area) , attending meetings, or just planning a get-away, this is the place. They have an excellent restaurant on the premises for your convenience.

Room Tip: If you love the ocean, choose an ocean view room!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Medina, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I had many choices of properties to choose from for my special weekend getaway for my sweetheart and myself. I live 2600 miles away and could only rely on the websites and phone conversations with the hotels when I was trying to choose one. The staff at the Spyglass Inn were very helpful, friendly and went out of their way to insure all my questions and concerns were answered. From the moment we arrived to the time we checked-out everything was better than I expected. Beautiful property, great staff and great rates! We drove around and looked at the other hotels I was considering and by far the Spyglass was the best choice.

Petaluma, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

What more do you need? Peaceful, comfortable. Separate sitting area at fireplace. Clean room. Bathroom was a shower only, but that's all we use anyway. Check in and check out friendly and quick. On site restaurant was good, but nothing special. Diffinitely would return if traveling through the area.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are mostly oceanfront with fireplace. Second floor has balcony - better view but n...
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed here for only one night, but found it very cosy and accommodating. The staff were friendly and attentive to any problems we had. The room itself was very well presented and the beds amazing for a motel. I did ask for a ocean view when we arrived and was told it would cost an extra $70, so we gave that amiss as the sun was already setting.
Give the restaurant a miss and try heading into town.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room and could hear every movement from above, so get a second floor room!
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We are wrapping up our stay at the Spyglass today. The week of New Year's is the only time my husband can get away from our business, so this was our only vacation for the year. We were looking for calm and relaxation. Access to the beach for long walks was a must. I needed to find a good hotel on a tight budget. I found it in the Spyglass - which was about $85.00 before taxes with AAA discount. The hotel accommodations were terrific. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean, beds extremely comfortable with lots of comfy pillows. We had a nice-sized flat screen and small patio - non-ocean view. There are rooms with full and partial ocean views available. We had a coffeemaker and small refrigerator in our room. This hotel does not provide breakfast, but the Spyglass Restaurant on premises gives a $2 discount on the Spyglass Special, which is two eggs, two sausage or bacon, and two pancakes. You just need to show your key for the discount. The restaurant has great views of the ocean, with some outdoor seating. There is stairway access to the beach where you can stroll and watch the surfers. There is also a heated pool, which we did not use.

The only problem we seemed to encounter were with other guests. There was what seemed to be a family of monkeys up above us who ran, stomped, and sounded like they were constantly moving furniture. At 9pm I finally had enough and called the front desk. They dealt with the situation promptly and the noises calmed down considerably from that point. And then the family next door - their kids were up fighting, screaming and crying at 7am. My husband and I do not have children, so we are not used to, nor do we have a desire to be a part of that chaos. I suppose we could have asked for another room, but by this point we were settled in. We just gave up the idea of sleeping in. Once they were out for the day, all was quiet and lovely.

All in all, it was a great getaway for my husband and I. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Maybe you should inquire if you will be surrounded by young families.
Palm Desert, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have been staying at the Spyglass Inn for years. It is in a fantastic location above the ocean next to much pricier hotels. It is an old motel that has been remodeled. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Many have fireplaces. We always ask for ocean view with fireplace. It is dog friendly. The room amenities surpass those of fancier hotels. The in room coffee is actually good. The robes are comfy. The Spyglass Restaurant on the property serves excellent meals with an unsurpassed ocean view.

The hotel and restaurant staff are friendly and provide true service.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view with fireplace. The rooms facing the ocean are quiet and have lovely patios.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Spyglass Inn? Share your experiences!