“Oceanview and Fireplace Too!” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save 15% On New Rooms
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Petaluma, CA
“Oceanview and Fireplace Too!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

What more do you need? Peaceful, comfortable. Separate sitting area at fireplace. Clean room. Bathroom was a shower only, but that's all we use anyway. Check in and check out friendly and quick. On site restaurant was good, but nothing special. Diffinitely would return if traveling through the area.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are mostly oceanfront with fireplace. Second floor has balcony - better view but n...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed here for only one night, but found it very cosy and accommodating. The staff were friendly and attentive to any problems we had. The room itself was very well presented and the beds amazing for a motel. I did ask for a ocean view when we arrived and was told it would cost an extra $70, so we gave that amiss as the sun was already setting.
Give the restaurant a miss and try heading into town.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room and could hear every movement from above, so get a second floor room!
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We are wrapping up our stay at the Spyglass today. The week of New Year's is the only time my husband can get away from our business, so this was our only vacation for the year. We were looking for calm and relaxation. Access to the beach for long walks was a must. I needed to find a good hotel on a tight budget. I found it in the Spyglass - which was about $85.00 before taxes with AAA discount. The hotel accommodations were terrific. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean, beds extremely comfortable with lots of comfy pillows. We had a nice-sized flat screen and small patio - non-ocean view. There are rooms with full and partial ocean views available. We had a coffeemaker and small refrigerator in our room. This hotel does not provide breakfast, but the Spyglass Restaurant on premises gives a $2 discount on the Spyglass Special, which is two eggs, two sausage or bacon, and two pancakes. You just need to show your key for the discount. The restaurant has great views of the ocean, with some outdoor seating. There is stairway access to the beach where you can stroll and watch the surfers. There is also a heated pool, which we did not use.

The only problem we seemed to encounter were with other guests. There was what seemed to be a family of monkeys up above us who ran, stomped, and sounded like they were constantly moving furniture. At 9pm I finally had enough and called the front desk. They dealt with the situation promptly and the noises calmed down considerably from that point. And then the family next door - their kids were up fighting, screaming and crying at 7am. My husband and I do not have children, so we are not used to, nor do we have a desire to be a part of that chaos. I suppose we could have asked for another room, but by this point we were settled in. We just gave up the idea of sleeping in. Once they were out for the day, all was quiet and lovely.

All in all, it was a great getaway for my husband and I. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Maybe you should inquire if you will be surrounded by young families.
Palm Desert, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have been staying at the Spyglass Inn for years. It is in a fantastic location above the ocean next to much pricier hotels. It is an old motel that has been remodeled. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Many have fireplaces. We always ask for ocean view with fireplace. It is dog friendly. The room amenities surpass those of fancier hotels. The in room coffee is actually good. The robes are comfy. The Spyglass Restaurant on the property serves excellent meals with an unsurpassed ocean view.

The hotel and restaurant staff are friendly and provide true service.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view with fireplace. The rooms facing the ocean are quiet and have lovely patios.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We booked because our friends asked us to stay in a "dog" friendly hotel. We lucked out, because it ended up being a perfect base for us to visit Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, Hearst Castle and Pismo Beach. Hotel was somewhat typical beach hotel, a little age on it, but clean, fantastic bed, great views and a terrific value. We had a King Size room on the 3rd floor looking out over the top of the beach access two story units. Awesome view of the sunset and the ocean, from our room & deck. For the price, we scored with a comfortable bed, awesome view and a cozy room near the beach! It's where we'll being staying for our next trip.

Room Tip: If you don't want to pay for beach access rooms, see if you can get the 3rd floor room #306, whi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburg, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Because of everyday cost of living and overly high medical bills over the years my wife and I have not had an anniversary getaway in 11 years. I looked online at many beach hotels and found that the spy glass inn has great ocean views from the room with reasonable rates. My family and I drove 250 miles to visit this resort. As we approached the four hour driving time my family was getting tired of being in the car until they saw the ocean in Pismo Beach. The excitement began. Check in was very quick and the manager was very knowledgeable about the area. They also gave me a printed map of shopping areas and restaurants. The rooms were very clean and spacious. We visited during rain season but the resort was so nice it made for a better experience in my opinion because we love the weather. The Spy Glass Inn restaurant is just the right size for the guests. Not to big and not to small. I would recommend the Alaskan King Crab diner. Awesome flavor and the drinks are made perfect. They do not cheat you on the alcohol. The drinks are made the way they are supposed to be made. I really liked that. Many pictures were taken. Humming birds stopped by to hang out on my balcony during the rain and stayed. They were less than five feet away and didn't scare off. The Spy Glass Inn is one of the best resorts I have stayed in on a long history of finding new and exciting places to visit. The staff was very polite, respectful, knowledgeable of the area and well customer oriented. I thank the Spy Glass Inn for a well accomplished 11 years anniversary I planned secretly for my wife to getaway.

Room Tip: For couples, get the room with the hot tub inside. Very nice. I had children with me so I got a roo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed there as a family for a night on our way down to LA. The hotel was easy to find, very close to the highway. There is plenty of space for parking, even just in front of the room. Unfortunately we had a ground floor room, so couldn’t enjoy the views – but didn’t really matter. We had booked via booking.com, and check in and out was easy and efficient. The room was ok, warm, neat and clean, with a spacious bathroom. We enjoyed a very nice dinner at the restaurant, with friendly and competent staff. Breakfast on the terrace was great as well. Would come back for sure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Spyglass Inn? Share your experiences!