“Pismo Beach Getaway” 4 of 5 stars

The Cliffs Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2757 Shell Beach Rd, Pismo Beach, CA 93449   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Pismo Beach
San Mateo, California
“Pismo Beach Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

If consider your pet as a treasured family member, then is the place to go with your pooch. We have a Samoyed and he was treated royally. They gave us a room on the first floor next to the trail that leads the path to the beach, which was convenient. They brought in a doggy bed, a bowl as well as a doggy menu upon check in.The room was clean with a contemporary flare. For my daughter who loves to swim, there is a swimming pool which made her stay that much more enjoyable. What I loved most were the evening and afternoon walks on the beach. This was a perfect weekend getaway.

Room Tip: If you want a more quiet room, ask for a room that faces the ocean or toward the side of the buildi...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
I'm so glad you and your daughter enjoyed your weekend getaway! We do love our furry, four legged guests as much as our two legged ones, and delight in pampering them as well. We look forward to your next stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Redwood City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Excellent room with a great view of the Pacific Ocean and pool / spa area. Valet and reception personnel very helpful. Room was clean, quiet and well appointed. Night time noise outside and in the hall was problematic, but didn’t last too long (someone had had too much to drink!) We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the breakfast at Marisol (the hotel restaurant) after a less than delicious dinner in the Marisol bar area. There are two restaurants in the same building so you have to be careful about the menu / location you choose. Our servers for both meals were very cordial and helpful in menu selection.

Room Tip: Room 420 is often selected as one of the best - quiet and away from the elevator!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
I'm glad to hear that you were so pleased with our staff and that you thoroughly enjoyed your room. We look forward to your next stay!
Broxbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Cliffs for just 1 night during our honeymoon (road trip of West Coast, starting in LA and ending in Vegas) but wished we had stayed for 2 and may be cut 1 day off our LA stay instead. We found the staff helpful and friendly, particularly front desk and a mention to Courtney who was in touch via email with my husband before our stay and was only too happy to give us a nice room with a view and a free bottle of wine as it was our honeymoon. The room overlooked the pool with a nice balcony area to sit and watch the sunrise / sunset, a marble bathroom, spacious and bed was good. The pool area was lovely and a really nice chilled-out vibe, particularly impressed with the poolside service for snacks/drinks etc. Breakfast delivered to room was also nice (omlettes, fruit selection and muffins). In the evening it was great to sit out on the terrace bit and watch the sun set with a couple of bottles of wine just taking the place in. Polite and friendly bar staff inside and overall we loved the place and wish we could have stayed for longer than just 1 night. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Stellerton, congratulations on your wedding! We're honored you chose to stay with us for your honeymoon, and thrilled you enjoyed your stay. I'm glad you were able to enjoy one of our stunning sunsets, your photos are beautiful. Hopefully we will get to see you again (for a longer visit) when you celebrate your anniversary!
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

I went along when my husband attended a meeting at The Cliffs. I was prepared for a shabby hotel because of reviews I had read. I was pleasantly surprised! Our room was clean and attractive. Although it overlooked the pool area, we were not bothered by noise. It was comfortable and spacious. The staff was very attentive to us. I went out alone several times. They were extremely helpful in assisting me to find the stores and attractions I wanted to locate. They were always prompt in brining the car. The housekeepers were efficient. I would return in a heartbeat!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Mary Anne, thank you for taking the time to write your review. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to exceed your expectations. Thank you for the kind words about our staff, we have a very hard working crew! Hopefully we will see you and your husband again soon!
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed for a weekend, family of 4 including 2 toddlers. Property grounds was great, well kept but room needed an update. One of their selling points is that you get a marble bathroom, which you do, but the marbles definitely have seen better days with stains and cracks. Bathroom fixtures are old and rusty. I did not allow my kids to take a bath in the tub as the drain plug looked pretty grubby.
We got a room overlooking the pool and the ocean beyond the pool, great but noisy at nights from the pumps. They do keep the pool temperature very warm like other reviewers have said, very nice as the weather was quite chilly when we were there. The beds were pretty comfortable, we slept well after having gotten use to the noise. The glass sliding door in our room was not properly sealed-there was a gap where it meets the wall. It also did not lock, we had to use the security bar attached to the door. There was even a sign on the door telling you to do that!
They provide you bottled water, but it's not clear if it's unlimited (there were 2 bottles in the room when we checked in) since you need to ask at the front desk for more. There was no pool side services I think because it was off season, so it was a bit awkward to have to go to the lobby for your pool towels.
We dined at Marisol 3 times, once for dinner when we first arrived, again for a late night snack, and then their Sunday champagne brunch. Of the three, the brunch was probably the most fun and "most bang for your bucks". The wait staffs were hit and miss, loved Kimberly and Jose! Their food is ok, nothing spectacular, but I did love my fish sandwich. The Midori Sour I got was also one of the better ones I've had in awhile :-) (I got wined out that night).
Overall, I think it was a good experience, but at almost $300 a night, during off season, I did feel a bit cheated, mostly with the bathroom.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Audeli, thank you for your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed the pool and Sunday Brunch! I wish you would have told us about the tub while you were here, so we could have found a room you were comfortable with, as we strive for you to be as comfortable with us as you are at home. I will address this with our team, and hopefully we can welcome you back soon.
Hanford, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I've stayed at this resort a few times now and it is our "go to" resort to the Pismo area. The staff has always been friendly and accommodating to any of our needs. The rooms are very comfortable with fluffy duvets and pillows. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous with unobstructed views of the water.
My two favorite parts of this hotel is the pool area and the beach access.
The pool is kept at 85 degrees and for location that is prone to a cool beach breeze this is the perfect swimming temperature. The hot tub is big and kept very hot. The bar is just inside the restaurant and you can order drinks, charge them to your room and take them right out to the pool or hot tub to enjoy. There is also a large gas fire pit with plenty of chairs and loungers to relax and enjoy your company overlooking the ocean.
The beach access is steps away from the hotel and leads you a private cove with only a few passing couples or singles walking their friendly dog.
One negative is that the rooms are not very sound proof and if it's busy and people are coming and going the doors of the rooms slamming are VERY loud. If you trying to take a nap during the day...forget it. Which is why I rated the sleep quality as average. But by nightfall, after most have taken to their beds, quiet does come.
We feel it's worth it. We love this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose an ocean view room or a suite, they are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your loyalty, we are honored to be your "go to" resort! I love that you are enjoying our property from pool to beach, and of course the view! Thank you for your input as well, we are currently looking at door closers that will lessen the noise of the door closing, but still ensure that it is closing completely. Hopefully we will have these installed by your next visit. We look forward to seeing you soon!
San Jose
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed here while attending a conference and was very happy with this hotel. Overall, it is a very nice place to stay. The people are great, the rooms are comfortable, and the views can't be beat. The staff did a good job catering lunches and snacks for the conference. I didn't have time to take advantage of the pool, but it looked nice. The patio outside the restaurant is a wonderful place to hang out and watch the sunset.

The only downside for this hotel (and all the hotels in along this stretch of coastline) is that it is close to the freeway - there isn't much land between the mountain and the ocean, so everything is close to the freeway. This is only really a problem if your room faces inland - toward the mountain and the freeway - noise can be a problem and the view isn't good. Freeway noise isn't even noticable if your room faces toward the ocean though.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
cliffs_resort, Manager at The Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that your conference went well! Next time, I hope you can stay longer to relax by the pool area as well, but it looks like you were able to sneak away to our beach. These are great photos, thank you for sharing them (what a gorgeous sunset)!

Been to The Cliffs Resort? Share your experiences!