It had been over 5 years since we had stayed at the Cliffs and it has changed dramatically for the better. We were coming from Charleston, SC, with a stay in Boston, a few days in LA & finally up the coast.
We had spoken with Lauren, the properties Rooms Executive prior to booking. I had requested a 'romantic' room and the Cliffs certainly delivered. Upon arrival we noticed the parking lot was full, not a problem; pull up to the door and you are greeted and checked in smoothly. There was a complimentary wine and cheese service in the lobby at that time so we sent our bags to the room with the bellhop and began to relax. We were met warmly by Louie who poured us a local red and we stepped out onto the grounds. It was around happy hour and you could see how hopping the bar/restaurant area was. Nice craft beers on tap and you pay what you like for the brick oven pizza as the proceeds are donated to a charity of the week. Pretty smart! Grabbed a beer and looked out over the ocean to see pods of 30-40 dolphins driving schools of bait fish into rolling waters. This place is called The Cliffs for a reason, it's has to be a 30 foot drop to the water and the views change with the different lighting of the day. There is a walkway that spans a number of properties and there is a stairway leading down to the beach.
We watched to the sunset and headed to the room before dinner. Ran into Lauren at the front desk who was going off-duty and she took the time to escort us to our room. I could see my wife's eyes taking in the colors and custom tile work and knew I had some redecorating to do when we got home. It was gorgeous, and the focal point was a modern round whirlpool tub backed by a large custom designed glass wall fixture leading to an adjacent tiled shower with three water features. A separate seating area had another flat screen that we never used.
We walked out one of the two passageways to the wrap around balcony and saw a group of people pointing out to the ocean. There we saw three whales breaching over and over until they moved out to sea. A first for us, so pretty memorable.
We went over to 'Maribol' for a light dinner. The bar was still jumping and we almost passed on dinner because we thought it may be too loud due to it's proximity. We took the chance and we were seated in a room with nice views which was as quiet as could be. There were eight tables being served and we only had the crab cake and cheese plate, so I won't rate the food. Both were fine and the other tables seemed to be having a nice experience. It was very subdued and cozy. They do need to lose the foil wrapped butters though.
In all, the Cliffs has just about everything we needed for a romantic stay and the staff makes sure that happens.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oceanfront full-service resort with sweeping ocean views, beautifully located 100 feet above Shell & Pismo Beaches. Deluxe guest rooms with private balcony and mountain, pool or ocean views. Complimentary Friday night wine and cheese reception and Kids Club seasonally. Heated, outdoor oceanfront pool, Spa services and 24-hour fitness center. Full service restaurant with room service, focusing on fresh, local produce and providers, as well as an oceanfront lounge with Happy Hour specials Monday through Friday. Live music select days throughout the year. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Priceline, Hotels.com and Hotwire so you can book your The Cliffs Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cliffs Hotel Pismo Beach
- Cliffs Hotel Pismo Beach
- Cliffs Resort Pismo Beach
- Cliffs Pismo Beach
- Pismo Beach Cliff Resort