“shelter cove” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Stay 2 Nights, Save $50
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Pismo Beach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Greenville, SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I booked the hotel after seeing their web site photos. But they actually have two properties. The one I bumped into is a lousy one down the road and is a typical motel. The better one is BW Shore Cliff Inn not BW Shelter Cove. I got a room of the lower level which is practically in half basement and is at same price as the upper one. I had to carry my luggage down the stair way. The room smelled moldy and the so called ocean view is mostly obstructed by shrubs. Will never come back to this one!

Room Tip: Make sure you book Best Western Shore Cliff Inn which is worldly different from this motel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
ShelterCoveGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Shelter Cove Lodge, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are very sorry to hear that you were displeased with your accommodations during your recent stay. We are very pleased to read that you found our sister property, the Best Western Plus Shore Cliff Lodge to be pleasing. We take great pride in both of our ocean front properties and strive to provide the best quality experience every time a guest walks through our door.

We at the Best Western Plus Shelter Cove Lodge have a variety of rooms and view types, all differing in price. Although the particular room type that you booked did not meet your expectations, we have many other room types available and hope to have another opportunity to show you that we can exceed your expectations during your stay. Thank you again for your feedback, we hope to have another opportunity to serve you.

Carmel, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I'm here right now. Because of my job, I can work from anywhere and take advantage of the situation regularly. However, the internet here is SOOOOO very slow, when your connection doesn't drop. The room is great, the location is great. We have stayed at other hotels on this street and this would be my preference. But, I cannot deal with the internet situation. I will commend the front desk for offering their office for my work needs. However, that doesn't work for me. I'm used to getting up very early and working and working in my pajamas. I may have to end up taking a vacation day tomorrow; which will end up being quite costly for me.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to hear of the difficulty you experienced regarding our internet connection during your stay. This is not a common occurrence, however unfortunately we did experience several instances of internet connection loss recently. I want to assure you that this was reported to our provider as soon as we were made aware and was escalated to the appropriate contacts on their end. I understand the frustration that this can cause and offer my sincere apologies for this inconvenience.

It is my hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you during your next visit to the Pismo Beach area. It would be my pleasure to personally assist in setting up any future reservations for you and ensure that you are in a location to best meet your needs should we ever experience connectivity issues again. I thank you again for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Thousand Oaks, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Hubby and I overnighted here in room 808 earlier this week. As mentioned, as of Spring 2013, hotel is undergoing renovations, though we didn't know this when we arrived. Originally were given a room with two double beds, asked to transfer to a king bed room and were graciously accommodated.

Room pros:

Spectacular ocean views. Hotel is situated on a bluff just north of Pismo Beach proper. Each room has a balcony or terrace with table and chairs to enjoy the air.

Value pricing. Granted, this maybe was off season (it was Spring Break), but the room rates here are seriously from the 1980's.

Large room -- with a king bed, our room had ample space for a roll away (not sure if they have them) or crib, came with a microwave and mini-fridge, a separate sink area away from the bathroom and cable TV. Some rooms are even dog-friendly (this seems to be another retro-theme in PB that is rare in CA -- you'll pay just $20 a night extra for Fido).

Check out is 12:00 so you can sleep in, stroll their walking paths, have breakfast and depart at a civilized hour.

Room cons:

Bed/room in general needs updating (this room is probably slated for same which is why we weren't originally booked there -- we asked for it). That being said, room was very clean and kind of cute in its own funky way. We were feeling the old time vibe.

Hotel is VERY close to the 101 freeway and you can hear the traffic at night. The highway seemed to be a hot spot for motorcycle racing at 3:00 a.m. when we were there. Nothing they can do about that, just be aware if you are a light sleeper. We put pillows on our heads. If they can insulate the rooms for sound during this renovation, that would be great as you can also hear neighbors in the adjacent rooms.

Apparently for the next few months, at least, hotel lobby and breakfast room are all housed in a guest room. It is awkward if you want to take advantage of the continental breakfast and don't want to go back to your room (kids sleeping, whatever), as for now you have to take your food/coffee downstairs to the outdoor pool area.

Overall:

Great staff. Very friendly and helpful. This hotel has the longest walk of all the ocean front hotels to Pismo Beach, but it's only 1 1/2 miles, all with sidewalk. There is a really great restaurant, Ventana Grill, within walking distance (5-10 minutes), as well as a Marie Callender's. Didn't get to use the pool -- it looked really nice, however. If we're in town again, we'll be back to check out the newly improved (and, we hope, not more expensive) Shelter Cove Lodge.

BTW, we heard no construction noise. They are doing a great job isolating the work from the guests.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
I would like to personally thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. We strive to provide the highest levels of service along with a relaxing experience at the Best Western Plus Shelter Cove Lodge. We truly appreciate your kind words and your honesty when it comes to how you feel we can improve. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our breathtaking views during your stay. Our goal at Shelter Cove is to ensure each and every guest has a pleasant experience. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you and look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the Pismo Beach area.

Cypress, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

There was construction going on and I believe we had a new room because it was VERY nice and roomy. The only down side was the breakfast because the breakfast room was under construction and food limited.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our newly remodeled rooms and the amenities that they offer. Our lobby and breakfast room renovation will be completed very soon and we will be able to again offer our extended continental breakfast to our guests. We are so pleased that you chose to celebrate your birthday with us and we hope to see you again very soon.

Pasadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

First things first - just for clarification. The difference between this BW hotel and the one down the street is a slightly upgraded room and approx. $50 more per night. In fact, the views from the upper level rooms at this hotel (Shelter Cove) are much more appealing.

The Overall Feel of this Hotel:
I received a phone call from the hotel, prior to my arrival, informing me that the hotel was undergoing some renovations and that there was light construction going on. We arrived on a Thursday evening, left on a Monday morning and never heard a peep from the construction workers. It is admirable of a hotel to proactive and informing their customers of possible annoyances. As what was previously demonstrated, the hotel staff was very welcoming and friendly.

The Rooms:
It's true, the rooms have been slightly upgraded, with new carpet, light fixtures and fresh paint. One of the rooms my friend was in actually had the bathroom redone, complete with granite countertops and all. A very appealing upgrade to the plain white countertops we had in our room. Overall, the rooms are pretty basic, nothing fancy. For the price, it's what should be expected. Comfortable, but not luxurious. Really, what we stay here for are the views. Pretty much any room on the upper floor (which is the ground floor) have spectacular views. We spend more time on our balcony than in the actual room. Breathtaking views.

One word of advice, walls are pretty thin, so try to keep noise levels as low as possible.

After taking a quick trip down the road to the other BW hotel, I have concluded that this location is the "value" location. Which isn't a bad thing. For about the same amenities and overall feel, we were able to stay an extra night at this location with the savings yielded by the lower per night cost. Yes, the other BW location is a slightly nicer and offers a few more amenities, but nothing worth an extra nights stay.

Recommendations to hotel management:
My one and only complaint, are the mattresses in the rooms. We had a room that had two full-size beds and both mattresses were in desperate need of being replaced. The mattresses feel lumpy and worn out. Upon shifting around on the bed you can even hear the springs squeak. Every night I woke up with a sore back trying to find a comfortable position, but with these lumpy and saggy mattresses it was near impossible. Please replace the mattresses in this hotel.

Again, this is one of my only complaints about this hotel. Other than that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the views here.

Stayed March 2013
ShelterCoveGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Shelter Cove Lodge, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Best Western Plus Shelter Cove Lodge. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share such wonderful feedback about our hotel as a whole. We highly value our guest's feedback and feel that by telling us what you liked about your stay and how we may improve, you are helping us to continue delivering a superior experience for all guests.

It was wonderful to read that our accommodations were just what you were looking for and that our hotel staff was able to exceed your expectations. We are currently in the process of renovating the all guest rooms, in addition to our hotel lobby and breakfast room. We are extremely excited to welcome all of our return guests back in the coming months when our renovation is fully complete. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you are visiting the Central Coast and thank you again for you comments.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My friend and I stayed on Friday, March 8th for 1 night. Upon check-in (office had relocated to a guest room due to remodeling), I was welcomed by the hotel staff. They explained that we'd be the 2nd guests in the remodeled room, 502 (2nd floor). They were very helpful - they gave us restaurant options within walking distance (we went to Del's Italian about a 7 min. walk down the sidewalk to the north to have a calzone and pizza - refrigerator was convenient for leftovers).
The room was extremely clean, smelled like new paint, had an AWESOME view of the cliffs and water, was pretty quiet (had a baby next door but only heard muffled crying a couple of times), had a microwave and refrigerator, was spacious and the balcony had 2 chairs and a table to watch the sunset/cliffs/water. We slept well having 2 comfortable double beds.
The complimentary breakfast was simple (yogurt, coffee, some pastries, OJ, etc.) and decent. We didn't have a hairdryer (again, 2nd guests to the room) but we were given one immediately upon request.
We spent Sat. AM walking along the cliffs and beach in Pismo which is all so conveniently close to the hotel.
I would definitely stay here again - the convenience of 101/PCH, cleanliness, and of course, the VIEWS!

Room Tip: 502 was just remodeled! All had great views, especially the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
ShelterCoveGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Shelter Cove Lodge, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for your review of our property and your recent stay with us. We are ecstatic that you enjoyed your vacation and were able to take advantage of many of the amenities that we have to offer. We are very excited about our room renovations and are pleased that you were able to be one of the first guests to enjoy them. We couldn’t agree more that the ocean views are spectacular and we hope to welcome you back to Pismo Beach very soon so you can see all of the updates to our lobby and breakfast room area as well!

Kalie Howard

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Shelter Cove Lodge? Share your experiences!