“Good location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 28 hotels in Pismo Beach
Marathon
“Good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

This is an older motel that's slowly improving the rooms. The first room we looked at was a little rough but the next room we looked at was fine. Nothing fancy but it was clean. We were on the beach, and within short walking distance to the main tourist area. We absolutely enjoyed watching the sunset from our room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012 via mobile

My family spent many spring breaks there back to the 70s and80s have always loved it. The owners have always been nice to us. My
Grandparents used to go clamming and abalone fishing there. Just bring you're sleeping bag for the bed . We tried another high end hotel down the beach and it had bedbugs! The DC is our favorite and the best views yes mngmnt can be picky but their parking lot is well protected from potential beach goers not staying there. Also a lot of Harley riders are there a lot, doctors lawyers ext and personally I feel safe. They redid the rooms in 2011 and it's much better now

• Stayed June 2012
Santa Cruz, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012 via mobile

My family and I considered staying here but it looked rundown and was practically vacant. Before we could leave we were accosted by the owner who came out screaming and waving his cane at my man and our one year old son! Apparenly he thought we wanted to park in their empty lot and got belligerent on us.
If that wasnt bad enough some other lady came out and threatened to call the cops on us. All apparently for checking out their hotel and deciding not to stay there.

• Stayed March 2012
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

When I was first married we had no money and we stayed here. I felt we were living like Kings. RIGHT on the beach, fantastic sunsets, the best of times. Now, many years later, we have money and we only stay in 4 or 5 star hotels. But I miss the days when Dolphin Cove was paradise. To me it still is. It depends what you are looking for and I guess it depends on your standards. You cannot beat the price or the location. The rest is up to what is important to you. My memories of staying here are among the very best of my life.

Room Tip: It's all good, but upstairs is best. Grab fish n chips and watch the sun go down from the outsid...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012 via mobile

Do yourself a favor STAY AWAY these people will (managers) rip you off. Dirty rooms with mold in the shower couch in the room looks and smells like someone had nookie on the couch. The bedspread hasn't been washed in years I bet with white stains on the bed spread. Watch out for the old man he will start a argument and have his yellow stained tooth wife finish the argument and call the cops. Which have told us they get called her often because of poor people skills they have.

• Stayed February 2012
Montesano, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

My two little kids and I came through September of 2010. I couldn't believe such an interesting place, right on the beach, had survived all these years! Fred showed us our room before we paid to make sure we would like it, the bathroom was beautiful and I love the vent windows. I felt safe there, and Fred and Kathy were great. Plus, Moose club is right next door, so heads up to any other members. We are coming through in December, I'll be giving you a call! - Heather from Montesano

Room Tip: I shared a bed with two children, not a big size, this time with husband too, we need two beds!
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Riverside CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

DO NOT STAY HERE, RUN THE OTHER WAY!!! This is truly a "motel" and definitely not worth staying in for any amount of money! First off they have false advertisement on their website by saying that they have coffee makers (only a couple of rooms do) and they won't give you one if you request it. It says it has continental breakfast (which is spelled wrong) and they do NOT. We were told we were getting a kitchenette suite and all we got was a fridge in our room, which was dirty and barely got cold. The shower had MOLD in it, the bathroom floor was dirty, and the screen on the bathroom window was filled with dirt and torn. I don't even want to know when the last time the bedspreads were washed; the carpets were filthy & stained. The sheets aren't even changed every day! We were supposed to get a sofa bed but the bed was broken and the cushions were sunken in the couch so she gave us a roll away bed (that's $15 a day) for free but it was nothing but sleeping on springs and it was so old it was rusted & had cobwebs on it! There was stuff all over the walls and I don't even want to know what it was if you know what I mean! The other screens in the room were also filthy and torn. The deadbolt on the door was broken as if the door had been kicked in. The t.v. was not only old but the speakers were horrible and it was so dirty and dented.
Lastly the owners were just plain weird and creepy! They didn't care what you had to say, they were not accommodating in the least and wouldn't even consider giving us our money back so we had to stay in this nasty motel for the 4 days we booked! We felt like we were staying the the Bates Motel, scary! Seriously even if it's the cheapest place do NOT stay here it is NOT worth ANY amount of money, even with it being "beach front property".

Room Tip: Run away from this place as fast as you can!!!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Dolphin Cove Motel? Share your experiences!