“Only stay here if you can't find vacancy elsewhere.” 2 of 5 stars

Sea Garden Motel
340 Stimson Street, Pismo Beach, CA 93449   |
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Visalia, California
“Only stay here if you can't find vacancy elsewhere.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

I'll first start with the positives: decent location, looks clean, no roaches, no spider webs.

Now the negatives...didn't follow gut instinct before leaving home. I should've brought my own pillow cases and covers to sleep on top of bed. This place makes me feel uncomfortable. I've never packed my own stuff to sleep in a motel before but I will next time when making a spontaneous trip to the coast. Looked clean upon arrival, but once I grabbed the refrigerator handles and they were sticky I was disgusted. The tiny kitchen smells like gas and the foil covered refrigerator racks need replacing. The room has a smell of old. Had to cover my pillows with hubby's shirts cause they smell slightly like someone else's odor. I went to the store to buy Lysol wipes to wipe down handles, counter tops, and toilet. Bed sheets looked clean but who knows. They don't smell budget motel clean. It could be the old smell of this place that settled on them.

Once I wiped down the place I felt relieved. But the sheets though, hmmm, ??? Oh yeah, and one of the beds have a sunken in mattress.

I've stayed in very nice hotels down to budget motels. I'm happy if the place is decent looking, feels, and smells clean. The room doesn't have to have matching decor. I won't stay here again. So far, Ocean Palms Motel rocks for budget friendly. Too bad they had no vacancy.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stay here every time I come to Pismo Beach, I have stayed some times as long as a year. The management and the Owner have recently (Jan. 2013) upgraded all the bathroom cabnets and every room now has marble counter top's. I agree with Kluv77 it does take time. However I can assure you that they work to improve this motel EVERY day. Nothing happens over night we all know that. If there is a problem or a concern they will drop wahtever they are doing to help you no matter the need. We all have good days and bad days but I can contest to the fact that here with the management, Is wonderful. I spoke with "Raj" and updated pictures are to follow. In closing, I am not a relative just a visitor. If your looking for the MGM grand it's not in Pismo Beach.

Room Tip: I would suggest the on the East rooms, I also have stayed in the spa room which is comfortable.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Visalia, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at this motel with my fiance and honestly you get what you pay for $88 for a Saturday night wasn't bad. Staff was very friendly and helpful with all of our needs. It really could use some updating but I also give them the benefit of the doubt that to update is very costly. If your looking for a cheap motel walking distance to the beach, brewery, harrys and all the restaurants this is a deal. I would come back. Thanks for making our stay nice :)

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you check in to make sure its what your looking for because if your picky...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I just left the motel and I have to say that overall it was okay! I mean you get what you pay for... The room was clean, the staff is all one family and they are super sweet and friendly the location its awesome cuz its a 3 minute walk to the beach, the room had a bed and a shower which its all you need really, I mean your not coming to live there! The walls are paper thin so that sucks but all in all the room gets the job done for a super cheap price so we can't really complain like all the other sissys on here moral of the story YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

• Stayed November 2012
Leeds, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed here last March with a friend who was incredibly last-minute with regards to his booking. I got a bad vibe from the moment I walked into the reception area, and insisted we see the room, but the lady on reception insisted on payment up front and my friend being the positive type was happy to shell out. Even this place made his stiff upper lip curl a little in disgust. "This was forty dollars," I said. "Right?" "No," he informed me, "it's closer to one hundred." Needless to say, I had a conniption fit.

Positives? It's close to the beach, and I didn't contract any communicable diseases.

Negatives? Pretty much everything else, and I am surprised I didn't contract any communicable diseases. Flimsy locks when your room backs onto a main road, paper-thin sheets, a trickle of a shower, muddy floors, and a heating system that makes the whole room smell like gas. A previous reviewer said that the new manager "Raj" and his wife are working on improving this motel. From my experience? They have an awfully, awfully long way to go and I'm never letting said friend book accommodation for me again.If Raj and his partner are trying to put some money into this sinking ship, best of luck to them, but I won't be staying here again in a hurry.

On the bright side, it was so foul it caused me to do a lot of exploring of the surrounding area!

Room Tip: Don't stay here?
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This motel has left me speechless. I actually like motels. I think they can be cute & quirky. This...is neither.

I want to be fair, so first let's discuss the positives. It's pretty cheap - we paid around $54. It's actually cheaper to book over the phone than on http://booking.com which is how we found the place. From the outside, it looks fairly nice. There is a new paint job & it's fairly maintained. The lady was very nice & I realized right away the family probably lived on the property (we saw the kids riding bikes on the property; cute). The location is great - we brought our bikes & were able to get to wine bars, restaurants & the beach in under 5 min. Way under.

Ok...now where do I begin with the negatives? Gah. I feel bad cause the lady has been so nice, but the place is such a dive. I think it would be fine if my fiancé & I were back in our college days,not giving a fudge, but we're not. What gives me the willies about the place is that I don't know if this room was dingy or dirty. Everything was old, faded & nothing matched. Well no I mean the draperies & blanket were weird colors but. The furniture did match - it looked like something inspired from Blanche Devourex's room from Goden Girls. That is not a compliment. The carpet, the blanket, & the sink all have weird mysterious stains on them. Maybe the place really is clean, but because of the grody (this motel is deserving of bringing the word back) stains, it makes me think twice about the cleanliness in general. The walls are paper thin & our neighbors looked like they've seen much more sober, cleaner days...nothing better than listening to crackies lull you to sleep with their conversations all thorough the night! also, the room stunk like cigarette smoke badly. I would have requested a room change, but then I noticed as I went down the hall is that the premises smelled like cigarette smoke. Yuck. Our bikes barely fit in the room, so don't even think about attempting to move around the room if you feel bloated. You won't fit through :) not all the light fixtures work. Theres no closet & the bar set aside for the closet is above the 1972 microwave/1988 fridge (but they work!).

Other things you should know: bring your own toiletries. Everything. Bring your own pillow, blankets, blow dryer (please see my pic of the hotel's blowdryer!). It's cheap, but you're getting what you paid for. I am giving them one extra star only cause they are nice but other than that, bates hotel all the way!

Room Tip: bring your own toiletries, towels & blankets if you MUST stay here. I saw no bed bugs, but stil...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Temple City, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This room cost us $210.00. My husband, daughter, husband, and granddaughter stayed here one night. I have given better blankets to the good will. These blankets should be thrown in garbage. The sheets were paper thin. The mattress and box spring were unbelievable sitting on 2x4s. The shower did not work. We could not bathe. He would not give half our money back. I am reporting him to health department and Better Business bureau. Trust me do not stay here. Wish I would og=f read reviews first.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sea Garden Motel? Share your experiences!