“If you're young that's one thing” 3 of 5 stars

Oceano Inn
1252 Pacific Blvd., Pismo Beach, CA   |
Ranked #22 of 28 hotels in Pismo Beach
Pomona, California
“If you're young that's one thing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Having stayed in the past in nearby Pismo Beach, I didn't realize until staying here that people who stay in Oceano are younger, therefore more likely to be louder and drunk in public. We left our place earlier than planned, as we had "neighbors" (on a Sunday night!) get loud, laughing past one a.m. They were clearly drunk.

As for the place, it had a nice king sized bed. It is definitely pet friendly, as our dog would attest to that. The TV was a flat screen, but would was a problem was some of the channels did not work, including the channel with the programming guide. The towel rack was far enough from the sink that our floor kept getting wet and I had to wipe it up.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Chico, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

Stayed here BECAUSE of the proximity to the dunes.. Knew I would be shacking with young people and motor heads that didn't want to camp on the beach, and that's what I got... That said... The owner was very cordial.. Loaning me an iron (this is NOT a full service HOTEL, this is a beach MOTEL.)

I found the room clean and comfortable, with fridge and microwave as well as small coffee maker. Fast WiFi provided free of charge.

Restaurant right across the street and convenience store next door.. Dunes 4 blocks away.

Good value for a beach motel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

Only stayed for one night (travelling up the coast). Haggled room rate with guy on front desk Room was clean plus free wifi available.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
San Jose, ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

This was possibly the worst motel I have ever stayed in -- especially at the price ($200), which was a bait-and-switch. On the phone, I was quoted a price of $169. When I got there, the price was at $199! When I asked the owner, he said it was taxes and fees (at $30 dollars!?).

Have them show you an itemized list of all charges!

If every hotel room in Pismo is taken, and you do not have a TENT to pitch at the beach, then go here. Otherwise, do yourself a favor and spend a little more money for a better room, location, and value. This is no vacation spot. If you spend more than one night here, you will regret it.

The good:
-the beds are comfortable
-the room was clean
- close to the beach. Four long blocks. You could walk, but why?
-two pretty solid places to eat within walking distance: Mexican and America (with Greek food)

The bad:
-It smelled terrible. As soon as you walk in, you can tell that they do not enforce the no smoking rule. Smacks you in the face...
-Right at a stop sign on Highway 1. It seems that everyone in Pismo either has a monster truck or an RV. All night long, we heard trucks stop, and then rev their motors to go. I have never been in a noisier motel. It was unbearable -- I kept being waken up.
-Paper-thin walls. I could hear the conversation of the two adjoining rooms -- and they were having a normal conversation.
- Absolutely no value for your money -- you would think at $200 that they would at least set out some fruit or have a swimming pool.
-Does not honor AAA discount. They have a sign outside that says "Show us your AAA card" -- I did, and they just ignored it. If they are not going to honor AAA, then they need to take that sign down!!!

Again, do yourself a favor and avoid this place at all cost. Unless you have no other option and are willing to throw 200 dollars down the toilet, then be my guest. But after one night here, you will not feel like a guest at all.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Fresno
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

Reservations were easy, quick, and reasonable. The room was clean. The beach is within walking distance. We stay here every year and can't wait to go back! In fact, we'll be there again this weekend.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz County, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

First the bad, then the good.
I was exhausted after not sleeping for two nights on a narrow couch in my parents' motorhome. My dad rented a room for two nights at the Oceano Inn for the rest of my extended-weekend with them. He rented the room at 8:30 in the morning, and at 11:00, I went to the room and unloaded my stuff. Took a shower*, dried my hair with the provided hair-dryer, then laid down in bed to warm up, and try to nap and feel a bit better. 20 minutes or so later, I was awakened by the sound of a big, grunting man, heavily stomping down the hallway. It sounded like he was having trouble carrying something heavy or that he was in pain. Suddenly, I heard his card-key slip into the lock in my door, and my door opened up. I screamed, "What? This is MY room! What are you doing here?" I pulled the blankets close under my chin so he wouldn't see I had nothing on. He looked bewildered, then shut the door. I was pretty sure he couldn't see me, because it was sunny outside and my inside-hallway room was completely dark. I called the desk, and they said they'd accidently given him the same room number they'd given me earlier in the day. They were very conscientious about the error, and personally came to see me and explain their mishap. By that time, I was wide awake, fully clothed (thank goodness!) and still a bit rattled. My friends later asked if the guy who burst in my door was cute. No, unless you're homeless and like scraggly beards and 275 lb grunting Sasquatch guys.

My room was comfortable. The bed was soft but restful. Very limited dresser space, no dressing table or counter besides the bathroom counter. The only dresser was directly under the television, no side space for storage. There was a small rod for hangers, and a wooden table for storing a suitcase.

*The shower water took more than five minutes to come in hot enough for a shower, set on the hottest setting, and never got too warm. I could unpack, go on-line, watch tv, and tidy up the room, and the shower water would still be cold, or finally getting warm enough to bathe.

The internet access was intermittent, but the manager on-site graciously helped me gain access. Personal interactions with the manager were professional and pleasant.

No continental breakfast here, the entire motel is possibly 20 rooms at most, no multi-purpose area, and the front counter is just that, a counter with no side space to serve breakfast. Still, it was adequate as we ate out anyway, and didn't need food in the room.

The ice bucket has a lid, and is insulated. Nice. I would stay again, although I understand that there are less expensive places closer to the beach.

• Liked — The location and cleanliness of the room.
  • Disliked — The shower (difficult to get hot water) and the lack of sufficient storage space to unpack.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Oceano Inn? Share your experiences!