“Terribly Disappointed with new owners/ management” 2 of 5 stars

You added Pioneer Resort to your Saves list
Pioneer Resort
24144 Scenic Highway 88, P.O. Box 677, Pioneer, CA 94566   |
San Leandro, California
“Terribly Disappointed with new owners/ management”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I have been going here for a number of years now and my last visit was very poor. This was in the fall on 2011. I made reservations and asked about the conditions of the pool and hot tubs, as the outdoor environment with those amenities is what I really enjoy the most. I was told that everything was fine the week of my stay. Drove up to stay a few days for a mini vacation... drove for 3 hours, so looking forward to it. Got there and was told the room I had booked was booked by somebody else the next day. Being that I have been there a number of times, I KNOW I booked the right room, and that they made the mistake. Okay... we got past that as the lady that was helping me was gracious enough to let us have the right room. However, when I mentioned how much I jus wanted to get unloaded and get in the pool and hot tub, she notified me that the hot tub had broken down a couple of days before and was not working. She apologized (she works there only a couple of days a week) and said there was nothing she could do. I then dealt with the managers, who both had a crappy attitude towards the customers. I explained that they should have called me and let me know that things were broken down... just a common courtesy to customers. All I got from them was attitude.. With noplace else near, we decided to stay by a day by day basis. After unloading, I went to the pool, which is usually heated and clean. Walked up to it and it was filthy and put my foot in and Brrrrrr.. it was freezing. There was no way I was getting in it, even if it was heated because it was dirty. Called the manager and spoke my peace with them and if they were going to clean it up and heat it. More attitude and nothing was really done during the two days I was there. We left a day early as there was no point in staying. I wrote a letter to the owner, explaining my huge disappointment. The attitude by the hispanic gals who said they were managent. And I asked him that if I were to come back, I would appreciate some sort of discount for my next visit. I also asked him to please respond back, either email or via USPS. I never received any response from him. And it was HIM who I had made the initial reservation with.. an Asain man.
If you are interested in going there, I would suggest to call them before you leave and make sure everything you expect to be right, IS right, because the term "customer service" doesn't go too far with either management or ownership. The gal who initially helped me at the counter was a doll.... nice older woman who went out of her way to do what she could for us the day she was there.. she was busting her butt around there. Not much help for her.. I actually felt bad for her... but was greatful for the help she gave us. They need more people like her, infact, she should be the manager, not the other gals with their poor attitudes.... I have to also say that walking around the premises, I see that it is litterally falling apart, Splinters sticking up on the stairs (no bare feet recommended), nails and screws also sticking up out of the starirs and balconies

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I stayed here for several weeks while working on a project nearby. As it was for business I was offered a reduced corporate rate from the already reasonable regular rate. The discount is well appreciated. It's conveniently located for anyone working between Jackson and the High Sierra. Groceries, restaurants, fuel, grog, and even hardware stores are all nearby but those amenities begin to disappear as you gain elevation while entering some fantastic outdoor recreational areas. That makes it ideally situated for an outdoor "basecamp" or "home away from home" while working in the area. And, if you stay four nights you get a fifth night free, I intend to use it for an overnight while skiing Kirkwood or day hiking in the nearby mountains. I found the rooms to be quite, clean, and the views of the adjoining pine forest relaxing. I particularly enjoyed the pool because it was just big enough to actually swim laps after work although it's about 11 to 13 strokes across, and I typically had it all to myself.

Room Tip: Room 225 has a raised ceiling that permits some rather large windows on the east wall. They are elev...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Best bang for the buck in the area!

Great location on Hwy. 88 in Pioneer, California. The rooms are situated away from the road and so it was very quiet. A serene sitting with mature landscaping, a clean pool and hot spa. The rooms have either a small patio or balcony with table and chairs and face the woods (away from the road) and are equipped with in room coffee, hair dryer, microwave, rerigerator, TV, etc. They are large rooms with large restrooms. The rooms were very clean. Our beds were firm so we appreciated that.

New manager, Michaela, is great at making you feel welcome and is eager to please. Also motorcycle friendly!

Across the parking lot is a bakery/deli as well as a tavern that has burgers, etc.

If there's a down side to this place it would be that cell reception is sketchy (provider didn't seem to matter with our group.....it was the same for all of us). At times we could get reception in the parking lot, at other times we could not.

Room Tip: I've stayed here several times over the years and each room had a feature unique to the other...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Concord, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Clean, nice room. Price was good, staff great. We came to this hotel late at night in need. My wife was very ill with a severe migraine, and the hotel manager come down and opened the office after hours so that we could stay. Her generosity was a life saver. We will happily stay there again the next time we are in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
San Leandro, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

I have stay here on a regular basis when visiting friends in the area.I have read the reviews that others wrote... cell phone service??? YOU'RE IN THE COUNTRY, for crying out loud... what idiot would expect cell phone service in the mountains ? I suppose camping to that person would include the means to blow-dry your hair as well......lol The water pressure in the showers does lack something to be desired, as does the water temp, but it isnt all that bad.I always stay in the same room (large ones in the back.. highly recommended) and love the peacefullness,view, easy access out your back door to the heated pool and hot tub.. very close.Microwave,nice bed,TV... all nice.
The people in the office are informative, personable and helpful All in all, a nice peaceful place to stay and I would recommend to anyone. ENJOY !!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
San Jose
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

We stayed at the Pioneer Lodge as a stop before heading on to Kirkwood and were pleased with the cleanliness of the rooms and the overall atmosphere. Although this hotel is near highway 88, it is surprisingly quiet. The bed was comfortable and the high ceiling was a nice touch. The staff were very polite and knew the area well.

The location is great - not many distractions leads to a lot of time to unwind and relax. We didn't go in the pool but it does look very pretty at night. We'll definitely check it out the next time we go back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Modesto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

It is a cozy place to stay. The view is just spectacular. Highway 88 is indeed a scenic view. However, no network service (mobile) in the area. Hot water, I believe was already corrected. Thank God! The friendly front desk lady explained that especially during winter season and with all the skiers (especially when the hotel is fully booked) taking shower all at the same time, hot water may not be enough for everyone. Just wait a little while... 5 minutes or so... and it worked!!! All it takes is just a little bit of patience. Wifi is free… which is AWESOME! Anyway, in the middle of nowhere, I am just glad there is hot water & wifi available too. Resort personnel are really friendly.

• Stayed February 2009

Been to Pioneer Resort? Share your experiences!