“Out of my comfort zone” 2 of 5 stars

Motel 6 Petaluma
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1368 N. McDowell Blvd., Petaluma, CA 94954   |
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Petaluma
Ottawa, Canada
“Out of my comfort zone”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

The price is good. The front desk staff are friendly and helpful.

It does appear to be more of a residential hotel, as there were many regulars doing their laundry and hanging about. I did not not feel comfortable in the surroundings.

Free but slow Wi-Fi, comfortable enough bed and it is basically clean. The room is sparse with no attempt to make it more than what it is.

I would not stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

I chose to book a room online at Motel 6 Petaluma specifically because the website stated that they have truck parking. I called ahead the next day to confirm that they did indeed have parking for trucks. They confirmed that they did, so I continued with my plans to stay there.

However, the stay turned into an unpleasant experience that included being asked to LEAVE, getting a refund, and at 8PM having to go park in an empty lot for the night, with no toilet, no shower.

Neither the website nor the staff mentioned ANYTHING about the potential difficulties with trucks parking there. Had they been proactive and revealed the problems ahead of time, I could have canceled my reservation and saved them and myself considerable aggravation.

The first problem occurred before I even got onto the motel property. As I entered the left turn lane, I could see that entry into their drive was very tight, and partially blocked by a foot-high concrete barrier on the left. Difficult/dangerous for trucks, especially semis with 53-foot trailers. In order to make the turn, I had to simultaneously
a) dodge a telephone pole
b) keep my landing gear from hitting the barrier and
c) very slowly inch my trailer wheels up and over the high barrier, causing my trailer to tip way over at a steep angle. The extra caution required to make the turn also caused me to block oncoming traffic.

I was lucky enough to get the last of the six tight parking spaces, and checked in. I discussed with check-in staff the problems getting onto the property, and suggested that it would be helpful to let truckers know that ahead of time. The office staff said that they have asked the City to modify the high barrier in the turn lane, but the City refuses to address the problem.

The final problem occurred after dinner when I returned to my room and found the light on my room phone flashing. When I called the office, they asked if I was one of the drivers whose trailer had a refrigeration engine (reefer) running. When I told them I did have a refer unit, they told me that they had been getting complaints about the noise, and that I would have to shut it off. When I told them that I could not risk damaging my customer's refrigerated load by turning it off, they said I would have to leave the property. Reefers are not allowed to run, they said, after 10PM.

So I was forced to check out, get a refund, and leave the property. I found the manager to be snotty and unprofessional, and told him once again that being proactive by alerting drivers about the limited access and refer noise restrictions would be a very easy way to avoid similar problems from now on. He didn't see why he should have to waste time doing that.

• Stayed May 2014
San Francisco, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Imagine the worst possible residential hotel, filled with people living in the hotel with their laundry hung about, working on their cars, playing music loudly, and letting their kids run loose. Imagine that with no luxuries whatsoever other than a basic bar of soap and teeny tiny towels and stained walls, scuffed furniture, a comforter with a cigarette burn in it, and a sense of despair that seems to cling to the paper thin walls. Now imagine that it's charmless and dingy and on a busy street where the noise of traffic keeps you up all night even with ear plugs. Combine this with young kids managing this "hotel" and charging a healthy fee compared to other hotels of far better value, if not in Petaluma then at least in other parts of Sonoma County.

There is no reason to stay here ever. I made this mistake, checked out in the middle of the night after being kept awake by both traffic and my neighbors having noisy sex (those paper thin walls!), and drove twenty miles north to find something else that was serviceable. I have stayed at reasonable Motel 6's. This one is not reasonable. Don't even think about staying here with kids. I thought residential motels were basically illegal in the area but apparently they are not. This isn't a cost-saver; it's just a pit.

Room Tip: There are no "good rooms." Try another hotel, any other hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Had a horrible experience the night before at Motel 6 in Livermore. Was nervous as we checked in at Motel 6 Petaluma. Had to reserve Motel 6 due to death in the family.

Fears were allayed as soon as we spoke to asst mgr Jonathan Uribe. Pleasant, knowledgable, and spoke English. Lobby was clean and appeared recently renovated.

Rooms 249 and 250 were clean, newly renovated, and had better quality towels and sheets than expected. No problems in the room.

Best thing is motel pays attention to whats going on in their property. All rooms are non smoking, all vehicles are checked to make sure they belong to guests, and there is a noise curfew thats enforced. You can tell management actually cares.

Great value for the price!

Stayed March 2014
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Basically, this place is pretty basic as far as hotels go. But, as there are no decently priced hotels in Petaluma, nor any hostels to go on the super cheap and social side of staying, this place will do the trick to have a roof over your head for a night or two. It is also walking distance to Lagunitas, which has a fantastic outdoor beer garden area. So, while it's nothing to write home about (pre-renovation I suppose), it's <$100/night, and will get the job done.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

The motel was under renovation when I went with my boyfriend but we were lucky enough to get one of the new rooms. The guy at the front counter was very helpful, gave us directions to some things to do nearby. And Lagunitas right down the street = awesome! New rooms are very cool, clean and a much needed improvement. Manager seemed very helpful as well, saw him walking around at night to make sure everyone was behaving. Apparently this property is now completely non- smoking but there was areas in the back with benches and ashtrays. A bit pricey for a motel 6 but still cheaper than anything else nearby (next closest was $80!) overall a good experience. I will be back in summer

• Stayed January 2014
Rohnert Park, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I recently stayed at this Motel 6, and it was a horrible experience!! They are in the middle of construction, and they did not inform us that this was happening. At 7:30am my girlfriend and I were woken up with power drills and saws. When we attempted to talk to the staff they were rude and shady. They told us that the "signs are posted" at each register, that they tell people about the construction when they call, and that its posted on their website. There was no sign, we were not told over the phone, there was nothing online, and nobody said anything in person. The Manager Johnny Freeze was very rude and essentially said it was not his responsibility. When I called to work out a resolution, they were unwilling to work with me, and referred me to their corporate center. I have made a claim, yet I doubt anything will come of it. DO NOT STAY THERE!!! Save your money, and stay somewhere else. As a customer you should feel satisfied with your purchases, and I felt taken advantage of by this Motel 6. AND you have to pay for the WiFi!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Petaluma, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
dear Josh,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. The noisy conditions and poor guest service you encountered are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6, and we sincerely apologize for your unpleasant stay. Please kindly contact our Guest Relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and our other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Been to Motel 6 Petaluma? Share your experiences!